speed on treadmill?

Options
what is the speed on the treadmill? is it MPH? so if i'm running on the treadmill at 5.8 does this mean i'm running 5.8 miles-per-hour? i always thought it was just a level number.

Replies

• 4alison4
    Options
    Yes, it's mph.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    That would depend on the treadmill, and I've never seen one in a gym that couldn't be changed to either by maintenance people
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    my treadmill does both. I use more of the incline than the speed. I can burn just as many cals walking on a really high incline than running on the flat as I get really sore knees.
  • jingersnap
    Options
    No, you are running closer to a 9+ minute mile.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    The treadmills at my gym have 2 numbers: a) miles per hour and b) incline level. Both are marked on mine.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    The treadmills at my gym have 2 numbers: a) miles per hour and b) incline level. Both are marked on mine.

i have two numbers on mine at my gym, too
    INCLINE and the other is SPEED. "speed" really doesn't narrow it down. LOL
  • IronSmasher
    Options

There can be machines with MPH labeled, that have been adjusted to KPH, and vice versa, you're just going to have to ask gym staff.

You'll know this, one day, when you've been going to gyms for years, but join a new one. Hopefully you'll get the 'why am I still walking???' one, instead of the other one.....
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options

Ah. Ya, most likely the default for speed is MPH. That'd be my assumption, similar to cars here in the States.
  • staceyb2003
    staceyb2003 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    5 is a 12 minute mile and 6 is a 10 minute mile. I think it would be mph, cause it takes me 30 minutes to run 3miles or 5k at 6 on the the treadmill.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    :facepalm:
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Other than dreadmills, most running paces are discussed in terms of minutes per mile rather than miles per hour.

4 mph = 15:00 minute miles
    5 mph = 12:00 min miles
    6 mph = 10:00 min miles
    7 mph = ~8:34 min miles
    8 mph = 7:30 min miles
    9 mph = ~6:40 min miles
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Other than dreadmills, most running paces are discussed in terms of minutes per mile rather than miles per hour.

4 mph = 15:00 minute miles
    5 mph = 12:00 min miles
    6 mph = 10:00 min miles
    7 mph = ~8:34 min miles
    8 mph = 7:30 min miles
    9 mph = ~6:40 min miles

thanks. i've been running about 3-4 weeks so EVERYTHING is new to me. i appreciate the info. this is my first time exercising.
  • patricia909
    patricia909 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    bump