Eating Healthy On A Budget?

Options
Ok...first off....I did a search for this topic and everything that came up was in code @_@

I have a severely limited budget for food. I can spend...at most...$10-$20 at the grocery store on myself. The rest of my family isn't on a diet, so I'm kind of on my own when it comes to shopping for healthy foods. *sigh*

Anyway, from my experience most healthy food tends to be on the pricey side. What are some more economical ways to eat healthy?

Replies

• havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Stock up on meat when it's on sale and freeze it, things like chicken breast go really low sometimes and freeze really well. I portion them out into 3 breasts in a ziplock so I can thaw enough for a few days at a time, or a big family meal. Frozen vegetables are both healthy and economical, also frequently go on sale. Things like healthy oils and grains it is usually best to buy in bulk. Asian and Latin markets often have lower prices on fresh produce, and you can find things that you might not see in more mainstream stores.

Also, I use EVERYTHING. When I buy a whole chicken, I roast it and use the breast meat for one meal (just me and my boyfriend), the leg quarters for another, and then boil the carcass with all of my veggie scraps (I keep them in the freezer til I'm ready) to make stock, which I then portion out and freeze. I eat all my leftovers - either as lunch or by using components in something else - or try to make a meal that will be eaten entirely. Planning out weekly meals really helps with this.

As for cooking for others, there is nothing wrong with them going on a diet with you, if you're the one cooking they can eat what you make or deal with it. You can always leave the unhealthier ingredients on the side for them to use if you want.
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I also meant to say that most 'diet' foods aren't worth the $. Get REAL foods, I personally don't eat anything low-fat/sugar free/diet. I eat less of the real stuff. I make exceptions for things where fat/sugar is removed and NOT replaced with highly processed garbledy gook (things like fat free yogurt, for example).
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Healthy doesn't mean boring. Cook real, healthy food; everyone can eat it. Keep healthy snacks on hand for everyone.

edit to add: To echo the poster above me: Healthy does not mean "diet" or "low fat" or "low carb" or any of those other marketing words. It means fresh, real foods; meats, veggies, beans, grains, cheese (full fat please).
  • Poohsta0
    Poohsta0 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much you like to cook but I have seen more "cooking light" magazines around recently. From a quick perusal it looks to me like they feature lower calorie alternatives to traditional recipes. Given that you can redo menus for the family in the lower cal versions and everyone benefits. Also, and I speak from experience here, it is harder to eat well when the people around you are eating what you are used to.
    I agree with the idea the "diet foods" are more cost than they are worth. Homemade or semi-homemade is the best way to control what you are eating. It is working at my house, for the most part they don't notice the changes.
  • fuzzimama
    Options
    I don't buy any specifically diet foods, and we are on a pretty small family budget for food. For lunch we have just had baked potatoes with baked beans (jazzed up with some garlic and parsley from garden) and 20gm each of edam cheese. I had 134g raw potato, which equates to about 13c, plus 1/3 tin of baked beans = 60c and 20g cheese = 18c. That's NZ91c for lunch, which equates to about US69c (and although I realize things won't convert exactly, its probably not dreadfully far off the mark for a quick comparison).

If the rest of the family isn't on a diet, presumably they are still eating healthy food (most of the time) and you could just eat the same in slightly reduced quantities?

I'm exactly like havalinaaa in that I eat less of good real food (and not even very much less, just enough less to fit within my calories). So for breakfast I have cereal and milk, lunch is sushi, a sandwich, baked potato (all homemade) etc. and dinner is usually meat or vegetarian main with salad/vegetables. Snacks are nuts, fruit, vegetables, home baking, occasional chocolate, icecream etc. It's pretty simple really.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    beans and rice?

When my budget was that low I mainly got oatmeal, bananas, apples, frozen veggies, veggie burgers, and granola bars.
  • fuzzimama
    Options
    Beans and rice - yumm! We have delicious tinned beans here called Delmaine black chilli beans (not sure where else you can get them other than NZ). They are soooo good, and perfect on a small portion of rice. My kids love them as well, so they go on rice, baked potato, in tortillas etc.

Oh, the other thing I meant to say about food budget. I'm embarrassed to admit that since I have been very carefully watching my calorie intake my food bill has decreased as the discretionary stuff (baking/sweets/baking chocolate etc.) is lasting so much longer. As well as milk and cheese, which are quite expensive here. Also, we often manage a meal and a half from what would previously have only lasted one meal (childrens portions haven't changed, as they have always had good healthy diets and portion sizes, but DH and I have reduced the 'main' part of the meal and increased the salad), so we end up getting a dinner and lunch out of a meal instead of just dinner. I could easily add the odd spendy diet things into my diet without increase in cost, but I prefer to eat yummy real food in smaller portions (a spoonful of really good peanut butter as a snack for example - mmmm).
  • Wafflecatcassie
    Options

If the rest of the family isn't on a diet, presumably they are still eating healthy food (most of the time) and you could just eat the same in slightly reduced quantities?

Actually....no. My family usually ops to get fast food =P Last meal they did cook contained fried chicken, cheesy potatoes, and mac & cheese...not exactly a healthy, balanced meal IMHO. I almost have to fight to get something green on a plate.

Thanks for the advice so far, everyone! XXD
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Sorry I don't mean this to sound rude but why do you have a severly restricted budget to buy healthy but your family can blow money on fast food?
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I also meant to say that most 'diet' foods aren't worth the $. Get REAL foods, I personally don't eat anything low-fat/sugar free/diet. I eat less of the real stuff. I make exceptions for things where fat/sugar is removed and NOT replaced with highly processed garbledy gook (things like fat free yogurt, for example).

Yes to real food! You are wasting time on low fat/low sugar, etc. Shop in season which helps, join a csa, find farmers markets
  • yusineddy
    yusineddy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Sorry I don't mean this to sound rude but why do you have a severly restricted budget to buy healthy but your family can blow money on fast food?

I agree... in that case it should be 50/5 budget for each, leaving you more room to get the things you need, its only fair.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I guess the question is, what's your roll in the family? If you're the one buying the groceries that's one thing, but if you're like me and staying with your parents or someone else you can't really control the meals. What I do is buy a few healthy foods of my own and then pick and choose the healthiest things from what they're eating and combine it with my healthy stuff. It's really tough to eat healthy when everyone around you is buying junk.

Now if you're the person preparing meals and doing the shopping, you should definitely try to head toward healthier alternatives. My husband doesn't like a lot of veggies but we compromise. If I want salad he'll get soup or something else he'll eat. Still I can cut back on calories in most recipes without him noticing. :P
  • pinkminy
    pinkminy Posts: 286
    Options
    EGGS are a REALLY GOOD protien especially the whites and much cheaper than meat or fish, add a bit of veg which ever is in seson are usually the cheapest and you have a meal. (carrott and cabbage lasts for ages in the fridge with the cabbage you cut off the discolored bit each time you use it the rest is fine underneath)
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    rice, boneless skinless chicken breast, frozen veggies..
    maybe a bakery outlet for bread?
  • xMedullaOblongatax
    Options
    Dig into mixed frozen veggies, V8, whole wheat grain bread from a bakery outlet (here I can get a loaf for 20 cents). Healthy Choice and Progresso make a variety of healthy soups around $2 a can. Lean Cuisines go in the neighborhood of $1. I know it's not good, but I stock up on ramen and mix veggies in with that. Just the reality of my situation.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    omg i know what u mean. my veggies are pricey and i buy them at walmart where you can price match and get the best deals possible. im a coupon-er and it hurts me to pay full price for veg and fruit lol
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Here is a website http://allrecipes.com/howto/cooking-on-a-budget/ that might be useful.

It may have been said before - buy in bulk. Use places like Costco. I see there are lots of specific suggestions for menu items.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    We always grab lots of lean mince and chicken - get it in bulk from your butcher and should work out cheaper. Keep it in the freezer - then we try and shop at small local fruit markets where the price of vegetables and fruit is cheaper than in the supermarket.
  • Wafflecatcassie
    Options

I agree... in that case it should be 50/5 budget for each, leaving you more room to get the things you need, its only fair.

It doesn't sound rude at all. Think of it this way - you can get a burger at McDonalds for a dollar. I can't say how much off the top of my head how much 1/4 of beef costs, but I'd wager it's more. My family just goes for the cheapest option, even if it isn't the healthiest.

Really, there isn't a huge budget for food in my house to begin with. Hell, there isn't a huge budget for anything. There was actually one week where I was sick and had to decide "OK...do I want to eat, or do I want to go to the doctor?"

I usually don't do the shopping, but now that I'm eating differently I am shopping for myself.
  • floweringcurrant
    floweringcurrant Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I will buy bigger amounts of something and plan my meals. For example, I will buy a lot of bulk brown rice and make one large amount of it that I can have a cup or so of each day. I will also buy a large amount of bulk salad greens and eat them through the week.

Having one meal, or two meals that I am comfortable eating most days of a week saves me money because I am not buying ingredients for a different meal each night and I can keep things cheap and simple. I also try my hardest to only buy what I know I will eat so nothing goes to waste.