"Blended Family" Finances-with unequal incomes

Options
I make about half of what my BF does working full time and we have his daughter (that I treat as my own) every weekend. I take care of the household chores 98% on my own, along with half the transportation to pick up the DBA (daughter by association) about an hour away...

Any others of you out there? How do you split expenses overall and "big ticket" presents for the kids that you didn't come into the relationship with? I want to do all I can, but just can't....

Suggestions?

Replies

• Showgirlbody
    Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I haven't dated anyone with kids but thought I'd offer an answer anyway. I assume you are living together so has there been a discussion of finances? Obviously he would know that you make less. I would want to do as follows: Have a set percentage of income that each of you put in a joint account for household expenses. So like 40% regardless of who makes what. Just a guess number, I guess it depends on how much the bills are. I know other couples that just split household things like one pays cell phones, one pays cable, etc. etc. In regards to gifts, I think as a couple, most people just buy one gift but put both their names on it. I think it would be his responsibility to get gifts from both of you but that's just me. It's not an indication of how much you love her whether or not you put out the money IMO. You help take care of her and that means more. Basically doing the work of a SAHM but you also have a job with income. So your time is a great contribution. Unless, a very special gift is something that he can't afford unless you chip in a little bit and you really want to then go for it but I don't think it needs to be tit for tat or split evenly, just what you can do.