Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

lololol Online Dating

2»

Replies

• Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Met my partner on one and we have been together of 6 years and have a child. There was major stigma when I joined one and I lied to my friends for ages. My friend who was a bit funny at first is now engaged to someone she met online. At least least 3 or 4 of my other friends met their partner online. I would just put the profile up, there is no biggie. It is sometimes really hard to meet nice people.
  • jen2607
    jen2607 Posts: 148 Member
    I think the embarrassment would come into play because they are people I know... like best friends with my roommate and other random connections... but not close with me. So I feel like they would talk about me to the mutual people. IDK. It's dumb. I guess I should just put myself out there.
  • snailrunner
    snailrunner Posts: 215 Member
    I met my partner online just over a year ago. We tell people how we met if they ask us...we always look totally loved up when we are together so people can usually tell that we haven't spent 20 years together already, lol (we are in our 40s). But you know what, I have met the person who truly is my 'other half' even though I had always hated that expression! We will spend the rest of our lives together for sure.

Before I met him though, I chatted to dozens of guys and met up with about 7 or 8...all nice people, just not right for me. It was an interesting time, although some guys have a habit of disappearing abruptly instead of just saying 'I'm not interested'.

Give it a try, and don't be embarrassed...someone who's already on a dating site is in no position to crticise those who join!
  • jen2607
    jen2607 Posts: 148 Member
    I met my husband online and on WoW. Enough said.

That game is addictive, but begrudgingly I admit it's fun. I had an ex cheat on me with someone he met on there. Took me 3 years to find out , but it is what it is. Anyways.. that just reminded me of this :

http://youtu.be/9PM5dt3KRzc

But seriously, congrats to everyone for putting themselves out there and finding happiness :)
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    My mom found her current husband online.

My dad dates super hot chicks on a regular basis online and meets them in Russia. Totally doesn't do it for the sex... just doesn't want to marry someone from the US for whatever reason. Whatever floats his boat.

So yeah... online dating is totally normal. I'm not one to have ever done it but I have met a couple platonic friends that way. They end up being pretty weird but still nothing harmful.
  • AussieNikki
    AussieNikki Posts: 168 Member
    I met my husband online, not a dating site or anything but I know plenty of happy couples who did meet on dating sites.

It's becoming more and more common these days.
  • andy2486
    andy2486 Posts: 93 Member
    I think the embarrassment would come into play because they are people I know... like best friends with my roommate and other random connections... but not close with me. So I feel like they would talk about me to the mutual people. IDK. It's dumb. I guess I should just put myself out there.

I met my husband on plenty of fish 3 yrs ago, my best friend met her boyfriend on POF 3 yrs ago and my sis-in-law met her boyfriend on POF 1.5 yrs ago. Obviously, I see nothing wrong with online dating and I am a true believer in it. I signed up 4 months after my ex had broken up with me because I was going to school online and working temp jobs so I was never meeting people and I had wanted to try to meet friends. I ended up dating a couple guys here and there, finally met my husband when he came back from Iraq (we started emailing while he was there) and have been with him ever since. Don't fear the embarassment from people who you don't sincerely know. Who are they to judge you anyway, right? You can try it out and cancel it whenever you want, so try it and see what comes about. Like the other poster said, you have the ability to "pre-screen" people from the comfort of your own home. If you don't think you will like said person, there are "plenty of fish" out there. :) It's much easier than going out to a bar or a party and hoping that someone might talk to you and it might turn into a date and they might turn out to not be a crazy person.
  • kcb315
    kcb315 Posts: 160 Member
    i met my boyfriend on facebook :) weve been dating for two years now :)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    I met the man of my dreams on plenty of fish. I was a student (older than the average) and I was working as a babysitter, so I had no opportunity to meet someone appropriate. So I went online...I use to get ridiculed, but not anymore. It's been 4 years, people get over it. Just remember to date a few, because there are some turds out there.
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    A week after I kicked my ex out, my best friend came over with a bottle of wine and told me she was getting me "back out there" after my disaster of a marriage because there really were some nice guys left. After splitting the bottle of wine with her, I was sufficiently numb enough to post a profile on the site she had picked out. I put up a whole list of requirements for any potential dates. He had to be over 6 feet tall because I was tired of not being able to wear my heels when I went out without looking taller then my date. He had to be younger then me, because my Mom told me I needed one young enough to train. He couldn't have been married before because if he was divorced then there was obviously something wrong with him or his first wife would have kept him. He had to love my kids as if they were his own because I wasn't having any more. He had to love the color blue because its my favorite color and I didn't want to hear anything about a smurf house in reference to my decorating. He had to love professional wrestling because that is what I did for a living and any references to it being fake would land him in the hospital when I showed him how fake it was. Yeah, I put all that on there and more! I got a lot of emails from weirdos who called me crazy and worse. And a couple of emails from crazy stalker fans. But I also got a simple note that said, "I think I meet all of your stipulations. Can we chat?" I told my best friend that he was either a masochist or perfect for me. That email came in on December 9, 1999. We met in person on February 13, 2000. We got married on June 16, 2001. We just celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary this year and I have no doubt we'll be together forever. I was right in my assessment of him from that first message. He's both a masochist and perfect for me! LOL

Damn, girl, you really knew what you wanted. Props to you for getting it. :drinker:

To the OP, I think the stigma of online dating is virtually nonexistent these days. Just be careful and always set up first meetings in highly public, very well trafficked places. You still can't be too careful.

My bf's sister is getting married next Labor Day to a man she met on eHarmony. I met my bf on Match, and we're pretty darn happy and committed still, 3 years later. As a divorcee, I'm happy with the slower pace of things these days. I met my first husband "conventionally", through work, and we got engaged within a couple of months and married in less than a year. It crashed and burned miserably. (I've had a few long-term, committed relationships, and my marriage was by far the worst of them. Go figure.)

I think sometimes, with online dating, you get a chance to weed out deal-breakers (like if one of you wants kids, and the other is "no way in hell") before the physical attraction kicks in and blinds you to them. This was certainly the case with my ex-husband and me. :embarassed: :sick:
  • Spruillie03
    Spruillie03 Posts: 155 Member
    I met my last boyfriend on Match. Ultimately, it didn't work out, but we dated for 2.5 years and are still friends.

Besides, I'm entirely too lazy to do the scene anymore.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    I met my BF online :) 1 1/2 year later and moving in together in April. I also saw people I knew from Highschool on there as well, and I was one of the "popular" girls.

Kind of embaressing at first? ya. Was it a good decision? Hell ya. Fun way of meeting new people, you have nothing to lose.

POF ALL THE WAY! LOL
  • Ok, Seriously though... today I was off work and really bored. I got to thinking about what it is like to live in a college town, but to be older than the average crazy 19 and 20 year olds. I can be shy at first, and I haven't been on a date in quite a while. So I thought to myself, is there really a stigma on online dating anymore? What kinds of people in my area participate? My curiosity got the best of me , and I did a search on a couple of free sites of people my age. During that time, I found a few people I actually knew. I don't think I could legitimately post a picture or any information because even though it is approaching 2012, I would feel embarrassed if one of those people saw me . I don't know. What are your thoughts on this? Feel free to ridicule, laugh, or criticize.

I actually met my husband on OkCupid.com in 2009. We just got married in October of this year.

Just be careful about which sites you use. Plentyoffish is HORRID.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member

My dad dates super hot chicks on a regular basis online and meets them in Russia. Totally doesn't do it for the sex... just doesn't want to marry someone from the US for whatever reason. Whatever floats his boat.

huh? ........................
  • AlSalzman
    AlSalzman Posts: 296 Member
    I bought my wife from Russia.

I paid with PayPal, so I guess that's online enough.

///seriously - my sis called me one day and was like, "I'm on this dating site and you need to see some of this crap!" I logged in with her profile and there were several people we'd gone to high school with... and their profiles were not even close to who they were in real life.

So congrats to those of you that it worked for, but I only know the horror stories.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    [/quote]

I actually met my husband on OkCupid.com in 2009. We just got married in October of this year.

Just be careful about which sites you use. Plentyoffish is HORRID.
    [/quote]

I found a good one...and so did my fiance's sister and his mom. You just have to use your head.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    is there really a stigma on online dating anymore?

Nope. Crack on.

“Whatever you think you can do or believe you can do, begin it. Action has magic, grace and power in it.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    I met my husband online and a guy I met online (didn't click stayed friends) met his now wife there.

Just be careful - like you would meeting any stranger for the 1st time - and check his back ground.

I wouldn't worry about a "stigma". They are on there too - to trash you is to trash themselves.
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Hm don't know. Just started out myself. Added 100lbs to myself (photoshop), couple years to my age and less education than I actually have. Yes. I'm serious.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    i use match.com (haven't paid yet, i just browse) and i don't think there's much of a stigma. i actually saw a kid from my high school on it!!!

i just don't meet people in person. Realistically, bars are too loud to meet people in, and i'm about to graduate college and have never met a boy in class at all. Plus, my friends are very loud so I end up being the meek girl in the back, even though that's not really my personality.

I thought i'd try a different way. i think once i have an actual job and graduate college i will pay for it and actually go on it seriously!!