Pet Peeves at The Gym

Options
2»

Replies

• staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options

I also hate when people stand around the gym chatting instead of working out.

This!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    People who complain about other ppl at the gym. Its called sweat! It stinks! Ppl put on perfume to cover up the stink. Makeup and hair... who cares! Wats the harm in looking nice! Don't wanna hear ppls convo? Buy an ipod! Ppl look at ur machine? Who cares! Be proud of wat u burn! Ugh! Its the gym! Do what u went to do and leave! Ok... rant over!

I can't imagine people actually complaining about BO. It's a gym, what is it supposed to smell like? Perfume and fresh flowers?

I had a guy next to me on the elliptical once who smelled so strongly of cat piss i thought I was going to throw up.
    Pet peeves - we all have them. There are some hilarious unique ones too. Just venting I don't see the point of this o.O
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    People who complain about other ppl at the gym. Its called sweat! It stinks! Ppl put on perfume to cover up the stink. Makeup and hair... who cares! Wats the harm in looking nice! Don't wanna hear ppls convo? Buy an ipod! Ppl look at ur machine? Who cares! Be proud of wat u burn! Ugh! Its the gym! Do what u went to do and leave! Ok... rant over!

There is a difference though between normal sweat, and people who just plain don't shower and change their clothes.

There is a difference between looking nice and looking like you are going to the bar.

I shouldn't have to buy an IPOD because some dumbass can't figure out that this is not a Starbucks... same thing at my hair salon last night. A lady gave me a dirty look because I was interrupting her phone convo by talking to my colorist and she had to go in the other room. Mind you, she was the screaming into her phone and gossiping about all her friends..

Finally, having people look at your machine may make some people self conscious.. and they have a right to be annoyed by it.

Just like you have right to rant, and I have the right to make fun of your rant :)
  • cPT_Helice
    Options
    I never complain about BO. I'm in a gym, WTH?? But there was once (so I shouldn't say never) that a girl came into a class, coat on, not yet worked out, and she smelled so bad that the instructor had to open up the door to the class and some people even left. THAT, IMO, is unacceptable. Also, the perfume is a legitimate gripe, not just a pet peeve. There are places of employment that don't allow their employees to wear any at all anymore because of the effect it has on coworkers. And, if you smell bad enough that you need half a bottle of strong perfume to try to cover it, the answer may be in a change in deodorant, not bathing in perfume that doesn't do anything more than mix with the sweat and make it all that much worse.

I don't mind if someone gets a call at the gym but being on a treadmill or elliptical next to someone who is on their phone the whole time, so I can hear their conversation OVER my iPod is just rude.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    perfume/cologne is not a substitute for deodorant. this goes for both men and women.
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I only re-rack the equipment to a weight that I deem appropriate for warming up.

I don't wipe off the equipment. I don't sweat much, but if I did it could only make others stronger.

I don't socialize in the gym, I move with purpose and intent.

I drop weights if I need to.

I may grunt on occasion.

That ought to ruffle some feathers. ;]
  • Niveous
    Niveous Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I really don't care what people look like, what they wear, or in general what they're doing... but there's one thing that really bugs me.

Curling in the squat rack. Even worse, curling with dumbbells in the squat rack.
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I have list a mile long.

TOP 10 LIST OF PET PEEVES AT THE FITNESS CENTER
    10. OLD LADY SMELLING PERFUME-VERY DISAPPOINTED TO FIND OUT IT IS THE CUTE GIRL THAT HAS IT ON AND NOT GRANNY ON THE OTHER SIDE OF ME. GRANNY IS WEARING A WEDDING BAND,THE CUTE GIRL IS NOT. HEY YOUNG CUTE CUTE GIRL WEARING GRANNY PERFUME! TAKE SOME POINTERS FROM GRANNY,MAYBE YOU CAN BAG A MAN.
    9. MEN THAT LIFT WEIGHTS FOR 3 REPS AND THEN PACES BACK AND FORTH FOR TEN MINUTES LIKE THEY JUST WON A OLYMPIC GOLD METAL
    8. CELL PHONES- LEAVE THAT DAMN THING IN YOUR CAR. AN HOUR OR TWO AWAY FROM YOUR EAR MAY DO YOU SOME GOOD. PLUS I DON'T WANT TO HEAR YOU MAKING PLANS OR HOW COOL YOU ARE OR HOW MUCH MONEY YOU MAKE.
    7. READING THE WALL STREET JOURNAL IN BETWEEN SETS. WHO YOU TRYING TO IMPRESS! DIDN'T I SEE YOU DRIVING AROUND TOWN IN A RUSTY OLD 1982 CHEVY S-10?
    6. OLD MEN WALKING AROUND THE LOCKER ROOM NAKED. NOT COOL! I DON'T WANT TO SEE YOUR JUNK. COVER THAT LITTLE MONSTER UP YOUR SCARING PEOPLE.
    5.NAKED PEOPLE IN THE SAUNA!.STEAM,SWEAT,PUBES EVERY WHERE! .
    4. WALKING IN THE LOCKER ROOM WITH NO FLIP FLOPS.
    3. BAND AIDS LEFT BEHIND IN THE LOCKER ROOM IN MISCELLANEOUS LOCATIONS. THIS ISN'T AN EASTER EGG HUNT.OH!
    2. PEOPLE PICKING AT THERE ZITS IN THE GYM MIRROR,PICKING SCABS,AND ALL OTHER MISCELLANEOUS HUMAN INFESTATIONS YOU MAY HAVE THE URGE TO PICK AT WHILE IN THE COMPANY OF SEVERAL PEOPLE.
    1. MEN THAT EYE BALL MY HOT WIFE! GO GET YOUR OWN MATE FOR LIFE.

:laugh: :laugh:
  • jsteffen80
    Options
    The only thing that really bothers me is when people try to talk to me. Chances are good I'm out of breath from blasting some weights or killing a cardio machine... I don't want to talk.

I've gotten a lot better about being unapproachable.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    One of my worst pet peeves at the gym is having to work out next to someone who is wearing a ton of perfume. It make sme feel awful and gives me a head ache.

Children in adult classes.

People not taking their weights off the bar, especially the leg press machine.

What's yours?

i definitely agree with the perfume or cologne. i would much rather smell someone sweating than cologne. i actually had to move to another treadmill the other day b/c a guy had on Polo so strong, it knocked me over!
  • vanessa40
    vanessa40 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    When I use to go to the gym I hated it when anyone tried talking to me. I only had my lunch break to get my lifting in. I even wore headphones.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Like someone else said there is a difference between BO and sweat. I sweat at the gym but I wear deodorant and don't stink like rotten sweat. I'm talking about the people who walk into the gym and smell like 3 week old BO before they have even started working out.
  • cfergy
    cfergy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    people who wear obnoxious amounts of perfume/cologne and who do not wipe down the machines after sweating all over them GROSS!!! Do they not see the big sign posted to wipe down the machines? We all just watched you drip sweat for the last hour and then you just walk away as if you're not dripping wet? btw, wiping down the machine with the same towel you just used for your work out doesn't help. Get a clue
    Okay, in with the good air. I'm done venting.
  • starross87
    Options
    One of my pet peeves is people walking BACKWARDS on the treadmill! If you want to do crazy stuff like that (including side walking, etc.), use the indoor track or better yet, go OUTSIDE! One of these days, someone is gonna take a tumble and the ambulance will be there, I know it.
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    My only peeve this week is the pair of teenagers sitting on each of the sit-up benches, tapping away on their phones. Want to facebook about how cool you are at the gym? Fine, but get OFF THE DAMN EQUIPMENT if you're going to do so.

That, and my Blackberry going off while I'm on the treadmill. yes, I use it at the gym, for music and Endomondo. Unfortunately, I haven;t figured out how to turn the phone off without shutting off 3G for Endo. So I silence the phone and hit the "go the hell away" button if/when it rings in my headphones.
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options

Lol, all of this^ :D