Advice on getting abs

I'm sure this kind of question has been asked 100 times over, but I'd love to get some good advice for my exact situation. In the last six months I have lost 35 pounds (193 down to 158), I feel much better, feel stronger, and I'm very happy with the results so far, but I'd really like to lose this last bit of belly fat and get some nice abs. I'm not looking to have a ripped six pack, just a nice flat stomach with some definition. For most of the last four months I was at 1400 calories, then dropped to 1300. I've recently increased this to 1500, then 1700 (which is still a 500 calorie deficit for me, 50% carbs, 25% fat, 25% protein but almost always over on protein) and I've switched to more strength training over cardio. I swim laps 3-4 times a week, 45-60 minutes each time. In addition to swimming I work out 4-5 times a week doing push-ups, crunches, reverse crunches, side bends, curling, pec fly, treadmill, elliptical, leg lifts on a Roman chair, and some routines with a medicine ball. I've been increasing the reps and weight as needed and my core definitely feels stronger than it used to, but I have not seen any visible improvement in my abs in over a month. Do I just need to continue with what I'm doing and give it more of a chance? Am I doing something wrong? Should I keep doing a lot of cardio and do strength training on top of it? I understand it takes plenty of work. I don't think I've ever had a nice flat stomach and defined abs in my life. But I really want some good results I can be very proud of and not waste my time doing the wrong things. Any advice is appreciated.

Replies

• davidlbass
    davidlbass Posts: 159 Member
    Most of what I have read is the secret to having abs is mainly to get rid of the layer of body fat covering them so you can see them. I'll let you know in another month or two if that is true.