Popcorn anyone?

Options
So I looooooove popcorn, which actually is a good snack for dieting. Unfortunately, my favorite way to prepare it is dripping in butter...which is not beneficial to my new diet.

Anyone have any flavorful, healthier toppings they use?

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    A few sprays of "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" shaken with garlic. Yum!
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Spices of some sort like garlic or ranch or I don't know...lol look up popcorn spice recipes. Basically if you have a spice mix on it or something you'll never notice there's no butter.
  • myfriendamy
    myfriendamy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    if you like spicy - try franks hot sauce! YUMMY!!! the heat makes me drink more water, too. win/win :)
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    cheese and butter was my old fave mm good ;p
  • maryloo2011
    Options
    Ha - nope. I always just eat it plain. It's my snack almost every night...

Try sprinkling some herbs or spices on it like cinnamon or garlic. What kind do you eat? I eat Orville's 100-cal mini bags.
  • Showgirlbody
    Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I just like the single serving bags of kettle corn smart pop. 100 calories
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Popcorn addict, here... Not that they are AMAZING for you, but I LOVE the "Natural" Orville Redenbacher's Salt and Cracked Pepper. There is also a Lime Version which I don't despise...

They come in mini bags so I don't have to eat a family size bag myself (which I would do) or fight with my family to get my share! -I'm like "Back off! This is MINE!" You don't mess with me when I have popcorn! :)
  • BassesGirl
    BassesGirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    mmm all sound delicious! Tonight I tried just a tiny bit of butter and parmesan cheese, not too bad actually!

I think next time I'll try the hot sauce one :)
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I spray mine with a little buttery spray and sprinkle on some cinnamon.
  • tiffanylam
    tiffanylam Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I saw on Dr. Oz to spray some Pam on it, followed by garlic salt. Hubby and I tried it last night and it was actually pretty good!
  • toddlyons
    toddlyons Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Equal parts Cinnamon and Splenda. Chop it with your coffee grinder until it's a very fine powder.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I spray it with some I can't believe it's not butter and then sprinkle with 2T Parmesan and some salt.... OR if I've saved enough fat grams, I'll actually pop it in oil instead of the airpopper.. YUM!
  • homeport51
    homeport51 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Kernel Seasons makes a spritzer for popcorn that is pretty good and lo cal, if you only spray a bit. They also have a line of popcorn seasonings that are only 5 cal. per teaspoon... both sweet and savory. I use it on my popcorn, but I also like the Ranch or Parmesan/Garlic flavor on steamed veggies. Link below to the website.
    http://www.kernelseasons.com/shop_product_detail.php?pid=40
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    hmmmmm.....i should get some popcorn
  • cfergy
    cfergy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I live in Maryland which is know for steamed crabs, we have a seafood seasoning called OLD BAY that is really good on popcorn. If it isn't available in CA try some other kind of seafood or steak seasoning for a different flavor. I can't do cinnamon on my popcorn, I go the other route and do spicy.
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I eat it everyday. I have an Anchor Hocking mirowave popcorn popper which requires no oil. I spray my kernals with butter flavored Crisco lightly and Voila! It tastes so good and is very healthy. I try to avoid salty seasonings.
  • therapyruns
    therapyruns Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    cinnamon and a pinch of organic raw cane sugar (I'm vegan). I usually go without the raw sugar though and a nice cinnamon coating is delicious!
  • yukimiyazawa
    yukimiyazawa Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    i'd always just work my calories around a full bag of proper, buttered popcorn (250 calories) every day. it helped me stay on track, because i love it so much.
  • hsk1019
    hsk1019 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    This thread is making me hungry!!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I have one of those microwave poppers, I use a 1/4 teaspoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Sometimes I'll add nutritional yeast or cayenne pepper. Cinnamon is also good, but I'll leave out the salt for that.