1200 calories

Options
Just wondering how many people are on a 1200 calorie plan and if they find it difficult or not? I am also doing a no dairy/no sugar/no gluten/processed food diet so it might attribute to the lethargy. I accidentally had a soy chai latte today because I forgot about the sugar thing (however sugar can come from fruit and natural ways). When I logged it in it was almost a third of my calories for the day! I had no energy to work out today but was good for the past two days and plan on definitely going tomorrow.
Just wondering if going up to, say, 1400 or 1500 will dramatically slow down weight loss progress? It is also 10, and I am hungry and know that my fiance will come home from work shortly and probably eat his leftover pizza and it will make me crave it even more! I just don't want to go way over my calories (not even suggesting the pizza, but say I had a handful of nuts or dried fruit). Just curious where most of you were with calories, insight is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Replies

• paigeifyouplease
    Options
    I'm at 1580 calories a day. It's difficult, but it's workable. I started out at 1800 calories (from my own guess work) but I trust this site so I'm sticking with the 1580
  • SarahAbear
    Options
    I'm doing a 1200 calorie a day diet as well. It's ok most days but some days I bump it up to 1500 with some healthy snacks otherwise I would binge!
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 while I'm not at work, I sometimes find it hard to make it because I've gotten very good at will-power and knocking down portion sizes.. But i also make sure I exercise daily to the tune of about 500 calories - that gives me some wiggle room :)
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    When I started MFP I was on 1200 per day. Losing 2lbs per week sounded better to me than losing 1lb per week.

BUT

Then I switched to over 1500 calories per day, and ended up losing more weight, faster, and having more energy.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    When you keep the diet healthy and clean, 1200 calories can be a satisfying amount of food.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    This all depends on your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and your weight loss target in terms of lbs per week. It's not a once size fits all. That said, it seems like very few people succeed in the long term on 1200 cals per day.
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I do 1200 cal a day. You have to plan your meals carefully and watch your portion sizes, but if you feel like splurging on pizza or chai lattes or whatever, just do some cardio to add to your calorie budget for the day.

My breakfast is usually coffee w/creamer (measured!), a piece of fruit or a greek yogurt + 2 Tbsp of granola. Lunch is often some homemade soup and half a sandwich or a baked potato filled with veggies. Dinner really varies for me - I eat out a lot for work, so I try to bank some extra calories for dinner.

For snacks I do low-fat string cheese, nuts (like 6 almonds, not a whole handful), apples or clementines, nut butters, veggies & hummus, even a few small pieces (Hershey Kisses) of chocolate!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    This all depends on your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and your weight loss target in terms of lbs per week. It's not a once size fits all. That said, it seems like very few people succeed in the long term on 1200 cals per day.

I agree ^^ long term it usually isn't sustainable and many up their calories. I did! At 120 I eat minimum of net 1500 calories lately xD
  • kareb13
    kareb13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1200 too. But I stopped logging food b/c I am mostly under. Don't think that is any better, I haven't lost in awhile but workout 5 days a week usually. That is just how I eat. I plan to start logging my food again and kick up my workouts too. I think we both need to increase our calories. I know I know...i'v read earlier in my profile, I think, that 1200 is under the amount of calories my body burns in a resting state! I'm clearly doing something wrong.
  • Showgirlbody
    Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 but I exercise so I can eat more. Some days 1200 is fine but others, I'm very hungry. I think it depends on what the 1200 calories consist of. If it's processed food, it's going to be gone quickly. Most people don't eat like large bowls of broccoli, so when you eat whole foods, especially vegetables, you can eat a lot of volume for very little calories. I am not great at that though. I tend to eat more protein to keep me satisfied and should eat more vegetables if I really want to be full. I rarely end up being in 1200 anyway because of the exercise. You can lose, maybe not 2lbs a week, if you go higher or cycle your calories. If you find your BMR, just cutting a couple hundred calories from that, should be enough to lose some.
  • samlin33
    Options
    Im with you seems hard and impossible...but it must be done right!
  • samlin33
    Options
    I am with you on the cravings!!! Eating bad makes me just splurge more!
  • Generalle
    Generalle Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 and for the first week or so it was hard, but the whole point is to eat healthier in order to lose weight. If you still eat food high in calories chances are its not that good for you.
    Here's a few things that work for me:
    Plan my meals so I know the calorie intake. If its going to be too high, I'll either adjust the ingredients or choose something else.
    I eat 4 times a day so allow around 300 for each meal.
    If I really feel like something higher in calories, I make sure I exercise in order to work it off.
    Watch the 'hidden' calories - like lattes - it only takes 1 and then you feel like you have to starve for the rest of the day, which no one likes!!
    Chewing gum helps. I chew gum for 1/2 an hour before I eat, just to make sure I'm actually hungry or whether it's just from boredom.
    With exercise, I generally only do things I enjoy so that it doesn't feel like 'work' and then I allow more for that days calories.
    Lots of water!!! Obviously trips to the bathroom increase, but it can help with hunger pains so along with the gum, it's my staple.
    Hope this has given you a few tips, this has worked ok for me so far!
    Good luck :smile:
  • sharonhauptman
    sharonhauptman Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am at 1200 a day. I do light cardio for about 30 minutes, and sometimes slowly trudge 1.25 miles to the bus stop each way. Sometimes I do about 15 minutes of what I call circuit training. All these add up to a couple extra hundred calories. I really want those calories to get the foods I want to eat just to keep my digestive system cleaning itself out. 1200 is SO little. I would be wiped out tired on 1200 to tell you the truth. God bless you.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I do 1470 and I saw NO difference when I went from 1200 to almost 1500. I didn't gain anything. As you get closer to your goal you have to allow for less deficit because your weight loss slows down. So if you have a lot to lose then 2 lbs is probably ok for you, but if you don't then yeah, 1200 cals a day might not be enough for you.

If you're feeling lethargic then I'd up the calories a bit-- maybe to 1400-- and see if you feel better. Give it a few weeks to let your body adjust. You may gain a pound or two but a lot of times a few more calories will actually jumpstart your weight loss once your body gets used to it. Good luck!
  • courtney38214
    Options
    i'm also on 1200 calories, no gluten, trying to lighten up on the sugar, and little to no dairy. my goal was to also start eating 3 meals a day and it's totally doable! i've felt like i've had enough to eat each day and if i work out, i'll allow myself a "treat" (iced tea w flavor shot from caribou coffee) or a bigger portion size in one of my meals. if you want, add me and you can see my food diary :) i'm not trying to lose a lot of weight, more so to tone up and get healthy. i was eating so randomly and not eating the right things and feeling weak and terrible and this was AFTER i cut out gluten for a year and a half.
  • Mom2Asa
    Mom2Asa Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I NET over 1200 every day but I also calorie cycle or zig zag my calories and I actually loose more when I stick to this vs. when I was strictly sticking to a NET of 1200 or 1300 EVERY DAY. When I was NET 1200-1300 (after 200-600 cal burn) it was a lot harder to stick to but now that I have started zig-zagging my calories the days I need to or want to eat more I do and the days I don't then I don't but make sure I eat my calorie goal for the WEEK by my 7th day.

Take your daily goal x 7 days = ???? You need to consume that amount each week. Remember MFP already accounts for a calorie deficit per the information you entered setting up your profile. You can do so like most and eat a strict and specific amount every day or you can eat more some days and less other days (ex. 1400 cal day and a 2100 cal day). It works well for me and I do better sticking to it and I seem to loose more. My body likes it a lot better than a strict set amount each day.
  • wantthistowork
    Options
    Thanks for all the insight. Glad to know that fluctuating the calories won't ruin everything (especially when I realize that they calories I am now eating are still probably significantly less than before!). Another question, and I am not sure if I am clear in understanding----say you burn 400-500 calories working out., and you have a 1200 calorie a day goal. Do you eat the remaining calories? Or do you typically just have a 700 calorie day in that case?

Thanks! Hence my name, I really do want this to work. However, I know I am the one that needs to make it work! I'm hoping third time is a charm, because I think I have logged on and off about three different times during the last year!
  • Mom2Asa
    Mom2Asa Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the insight. Glad to know that fluctuating the calories won't ruin everything (especially when I realize that they calories I am now eating are still probably significantly less than before!). Another question, and I am not sure if I am clear in understanding----say you burn 400-500 calories working out., and you have a 1200 calorie a day goal. Do you eat the remaining calories? Or do you typically just have a 700 calorie day in that case?

Thanks! Hence my name, I really do want this to work. However, I know I am the one that needs to make it work! I'm hoping third time is a charm, because I think I have logged on and off about three different times during the last year!

You should take in a min of 1200 NET cal per day. If you are at 1200 cal for the day and workout and burn 500 calories then that puts you at a NET of 700 and you really should NET 1200--your body needs this amount for healthy weight loss----a NET of 700 calories per day is setting yourself up to fail in my opinion. If you are at 1700 for the day and then burn 500 calories then you are at a NET of 1200 calories for the day so you are getting your NET of 1200.

Does that help??
  • mysteria_
    mysteria_ Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I vary from anywhere between 1100 to 1350 each day... for me it's easier to have the flexibility, and I figure it evens out over the course of a week or so...