Half Marathon training tips anyone?

Options
Hi all,

Having built up my running slowly over the past year ( with an injury keeping me out all summer) i am starting my 12 week half marathon training on Monday. My race is mid March and im looking for any tips to keep motivated and enjoy my training. I'm following the Hal Higdon novice 12 week plan.

Any tips? I'm really hoping to shed some weight by then to make things easier. If you have an experiences of doing this plan or in fact the half marathon i would be grateful. (I'm a little scared)

Thanks and have a lovely holiday season. x

Replies

• sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I've used Hal Higdon's plan. To date, I have completed 33+ half marathons and one full (I'm doing a HM in every state).

My advice is follow the plan. Trust the plan.

Take notes about your diet to see if what you're eating makes a difference on your long run days. I didn't really notice many things for HM, but for sure I ate more whole grain pasta the days leading up to my long run for my marathon training.

The most important thing is to enjoy the journey and absorb satisfaction if getting to your destination. It's an achievement no one can take away from you once you have it!
  • AnnaK812
    AnnaK812 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I ran a half marathon this Fall and my biggest advice would be to not overdo it. Your body NEEDS rest days and lots of calories (carbs) when you're running for that long. I slowly built up to further and further distances and I only ran the full distance once (about 4 weeks prior to the actual race). The rest of the time was spent maintaining a decent distance. Then I didn't run at all the entire week leading up to the race- your body will look forward to releasing all of that energy and won't struggle because of exhaustion.

I'd also recommend this website: www.marathonrookie.com They have lots of nutrition information, training programs and motivational quotes.

It's not easy, but your body will get to used to producing a second, third (and in my case a fourth or fifth haha) wind. It's an amazing accomplishment- GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    bump :flowerforyou:
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My only other comment is to remember that the training plan is a guideline, not gospel. It is just numbers on a page so it doesn't know if your hamstring hurts or if you are feeling great one morning. The world doesn't end if the plans say to run 5 miles and you have to stop at 3.75 because your calf is hurting.

You want to do your best to stay on track with your long runs, but be sure to listen to your body.

Good luck!
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    "Marathon Runners - past, present & future" is a group on MFP that you can join and get some great advice from people who've done half and full marathons.
  • rubysparkle
    rubysparkle Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your comments, inspiring and helpful. thank you
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    My only other comment is to remember that the training plan is a guideline, not gospel. It is just numbers on a page so it doesn't know if your hamstring hurts or if you are feeling great one morning. The world doesn't end if the plans say to run 5 miles and you have to stop at 3.75 because your calf is hurting.

You want to do your best to stay on track with your long runs, but be sure to listen to your body.

Good luck!

Great advice! :flowerforyou:
  • RunJasonRun
    RunJasonRun Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    BUMP ...

Great Advice...