Jogging Inside Vs. Outside

Options
Okay... so usually when I run, I run on the treadmill... 20 - 30 minutes at 5.0 to 6.0mph... equals out to about 2.5 miles give or take... Well today decided to run outside... thought I could at least do a mile.. WOW was I wrong... I couldn't even run 1/2 a mile outside... So all the avid runners.. what's the difference.. why was I dying so early???? Probably about 45 degrees out this morning does that make a difference??? I was / am really disappointed!!! :(

Replies

• SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Were you paying attention to your speed? Slow down if you feel like you're dying. Way down! And then speed up as necessary. I think the temptation to go too fast is stronger when you're outside. I have the opposite problem though, I find it much harder on my joints and lungs to run on a treadmill because there is no speed adjusting--you go as fast as the treadmill is set, and outside you are constantly making small adjustments.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Oh, and my gauge for finding the right speed is this: I should be able to talk, but not sing.
  • chubiD
    chubiD Posts: 260
    Options
    Were you paying attention to your speed? Slow down if you feel like you're dying. Way down! And then speed up as necessary. I think the temptation to go too fast is stronger when you're outside. I have the opposite problem though, I find it much harder on my joints and lungs to run on a treadmill because there is no speed adjusting--you go as fast as the treadmill is set, and outside you are constantly making small adjustments.

Ditto.

For me is way easier to run outside, but most of the times I run much faster than on the treadmill. I'm learning to pace myself and start slower and speed up as I go.

The weather shouldn't be a problem if you're properly dressed.

In any case, it's about finding what works better for you. I only do the treadmill if for some reason I cannot run outside, I don't enjoy it as much, but that's me.

Good luck!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Oh, and my gauge for finding the right speed is this: I should be able to talk, but not sing.

yes. while running, you should be an an exertion level where you could have a conversation with someone next to you.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Running outside has multiple factors that slow you down including hills and wind resistance. The treadmill motion actually propels you along a little bit.

They say that you should run at a small incline (about a 1) to cancel out that propelling motion.
  • allison0820
    allison0820 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Running outside has multiple factors that slow you down including hills and wind resistance. The treadmill motion actually propels you along a little bit.

They say that you should run at a small incline (about a 1) to cancel out that propelling motion.

So if the treadmill propels you a little does that mean you burn more calories outside because of the factors that slow you down and the fact that you tend to try to run faster???!!! There could be a positive to all this after all!! :)
  • melissammundy
    Options
    i recently started running and i find that i run better outside. i can complete a mile a lot easier outside than on a treadmill. i dont really know why........
  • NaomiWhite77
    NaomiWhite77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    i recently started running and i find that i run better outside. i can complete a mile a lot easier outside than on a treadmill. i dont really know why........

Me too. Maybe it's more interesting outside. I can do 2 miles outside, but struggle to do 1 inside.
  • LuLuRunner1
    LuLuRunner1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    As long as I can push myself through about the third or fourth minute, I can run outside okay. Although, the last two times I've ran, I either had too much coffee, or not enough breaks in the morning to allow for sufficient emptying of my bladder (I'm sorry, TMI) and I was not able to run much, had to walk it.

I'm dying to try a different trail, but just haven't yet gotten the nerve up to yet (I don't like change :blushing: ).
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Seems to me it's almost assuredly an issue of pace (unless you were going up a hill, but that seems like it would've been obvious to you, such that you wouldn't have asked the question). Temperatures in the 40s should make it easier for you to run vs. indoors on a treadmill, since your heart rate is lower.

Just give it another go and really ease back on the pace. I *far* prefer running outside, but the one thing that's easier about a treadmill is that it holds you to a pace.

Good luck!
  • Maidei
    Maidei Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Well from what I have heard running on a treadmill is easier because the belt is revolving so you are not putting as much effort into propelling yourself as you would running outside. Also outside you have wind resistance and really have to carry all your weight on your own to move forward so you work harder than on a treadmill, the landscape is also not perfectly flat like on a treadmill. Outside the terrain differs. To compensate for this I've heard that putting a 1-4% incline when running on a treadmill will make it as hard as running outside to some extent.
    Other suggestions on here are also correct to slow down. But training inside on a treadmill is definitely not the same as running outside. So if you want to learn to actually run outside, the best thing to do is well, run outside. Or put incline on your treadmill. Hope this helps :smile:
  • Ivanx00
    Options
    Is all about Physics my dear Watson. Basically when you run in a treadmill your activity has a reduced friction to the ground since the belt is actually doing the movement. In a treadmill you are not making a major effort to push yourself forward...you are just putting enough effort to stay in the same place as the belt rolls. Now, when running outside you have to make a greater effort to move forward.....so the friction between the ground and your body is significantly increased. Running outside will always be a tougher workout than a treadmill. To compensate the effort, you should reduce your speed while running outside. But usually, you will always "run" longer distances on a treadmill than outside. Anyway, both forms are a great workout.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I've always read and heard that running on the treadmill is "easier," because the tread moves for you, without you propelling yourself forward. But... I've felt more like this:

Me too. Maybe it's more interesting outside. I can do 2 miles outside, but struggle to do 1 inside.
    Yep. I am running 20-30 minutes outside, no problem, but I have to walk for a few minutes every 10 minutes or so on the treadmill. I think it's because of the boredom on the treadmill? It's just so much more enjoyable to me outside.

Anyway, with my (& others') experience being so different than what "they" say, I've begun to think that's it's all in what you're used to. I'm much more used to running outside, so it's easier for me. ?
  • kmcrey87
    kmcrey87 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Is all about Physics my dear Watson. Basically when you run in a treadmill your activity has a reduced friction to the ground since the belt is actually doing the movement. In a treadmill you are not making a major effort to push yourself forward...you are just putting enough effort to stay in the same place as the belt rolls. Now, when running outside you have to make a greater effort to move forward.....so the friction between the ground and your body is significantly increased. Running outside will always be a tougher workout than a treadmill. To compensate the effort, you should reduce your speed while running outside. But usually, you will always "run" longer distances on a treadmill than outside. Anyway, both forms are a great workout.

^^^

It took me about six months to learn to love to run outside and appreciate the extra effort I had to put forth. I hate treadmill running now. I use to dread windy days, but now, I love the challenge!
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    Alot of different factors matter. I run better on sidewalks than on the road. The side of the road tend to be slanted which might be hard on your legs and get tired sooner. Also, you might have been running on an incline. It takes some training, but running outside can be a lot of fun. I love to run in new neighborhoods and look at houses.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options

So if the treadmill propels you a little does that mean you burn more calories outside because of the factors that slow you down and the fact that you tend to try to run faster???!!! There could be a positive to all this after all!! :)

I think so. My heart rate is always higher when I run outside :-)
  • toniRAD
    toniRAD Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Figure out what kind of breathing is best for you, it makes a huge difference. I used to not run too well outside until I changed my breathing technique, now I do a lot better. What I do is breathe in twice, breathe out twice. Make sure you always look ahead of you and not at the ground, look to the horizon. Another thing is try to keep your arms lower when you're running rather than high in the air, it can make your arms get tired.

In general, running outside is just a little more difficult. Like others said, the surface outdoors differs a lot from the flat treadmill. Good luck!
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    It took me about six months to learn to love to run outside and appreciate the extra effort I had to put forth.

Six months.... then there is hope that some day I will enjoy this pain I inflict upon my body.... at 4 months and still not enjoying it. Nope, not at all. Determined to finish that 1/2 marathon in Feb. though. Hopefully it won't kill me first.... ;)
  • Spearo
    Spearo Posts: 47
    Options
    Apples and Oranges, as stated above.

Not a literal translation, but think about doing a squat with a weighted barbell on your shoulders vs on a Smith machine.

Don't give up, because in reality you don't run any distance at all on a treadmill. So today was your longest run ever!

;)

Get your cadence up around 160-180 and go slower than you think you should.

Cheers,
    E.
  • dolphin21
    dolphin21 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I started training last week for my 1/2 Marathon in may, and I can say outside its tough for me too!!! But I got 2 keep it up for my Marathon!!! I can do the treadmill no problem LOL but out side I need 2 push myself and pace myself......just got 2 do it and I know I can!!!