Trying new ways to lose!!!

Options
Hello everyone! This is my first post here, just wanted to introduce myself.

A little about me....I'm 28, married, with 2 dogs and no kids. I was very fit in high school, then went off to college, and gained the "freshman 15" and then some. I've never been able to lose it. A few years ago, I went to a hypnotist, and boy, did it work. I dropped like 30 pounds in about a month. I was lovin it. But, the weight went right back on after a certain point.

I've been reading other posts, and I see a lot of people have tried Weight Watchers. I, too, have tried WW. My wife has been doing it off and on for years, and has moderate success. I always found the price to be a little outrageous. I've done mostly online, but this last time I tried doing the meetings. They recently increased their price to $42.95/month, which I thought it just ridiculous. I was happy at first, as I dropped like 6 pounds in 2 weeks, but since then it's been a struggle. After 12 weeks, I had a net loss of 5 pounds. I decided I needed a change. I stumbled across MYyFoodDiary.com, which I've been trying for a couple days (free 7 day trial) and on their message boards I saw someone mention MyFitnessPal, so I thought I'd give this one a try. Websites seem to be the same except that MFP is free!!

I work in retail as an assistant manager (Walgreens), so I do a fair amount of walking/lifting, etc at my job. I don't belong to a gym, however, I've been contemplating joining one. I do have a few workout games for the Nintendo Wii that I've been using, and I feel like I get great workouts from them, but I don't know if it's enough.

Anyways, looking forward to a great journey, and hoping that MFP works for me! :-) Good luck to everyone!

Replies

• kat65
    kat65 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Wow, weight watchers online is $42. That's alot of money! This site is awesome. Everyone is great! Welcome!!!
  • hollykan
    hollykan Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck! Feel free to add me for motivation and support!!
  • CathiAnne
    CathiAnne Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I also did WW many years ago, MANY years ago and was very successful. Since then I refuse to pay money to lose weight. MFP is fabulous and free. I have been very succesful here. There is a lot of support here and you can also come here to give support. If you stay with it, you will be successful. The logging of food is key for me. Welcome to the site and good luck on your journey to success.
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hey there, MFP works and the Free part is awesome too. I haven't been able to do "formal" exercise much lately. I work at a busy Pharmacy too (Tech) and never sit all day. I recently had to move my lifestyle on MFP to active to show at least close to the calorie burn I really do have in a normal day. My Christmas present to my self was a BodyMedia Fit (like the bodybug they wear on biggest loser) and it shows for the past 7 days that I never burn less than 2100 calories per day. MFP had me at 1700. So there were times I really was undereating. (what a thought) So anyway welcome and track every single thing you put in your mouth. Download the app if you have a smartphone and that way you can log stuff when your out and actually look up stuff before you choose it. I am also hoping to either rejoin the gym after the holidays or buy an eliptical.

good luck.

Nichole.
  • RainbowDream83
    Options
    I worked a job where I did alot of walking, and lifting. I was also watching what I ate...taking a multi vitamin, and a calcium pill everyday. I lost weight without realizing it. I always kept a bottle of water on me!!
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I love this site, lots of helpful tools and many nice people to add as freinds. And to top it off FREE!
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
    Just follow the MFP recommendations for 1lb weight loss, engage in cardio and resistance exercise, and eat back your calories earned through this exercise. It's important to try to eat close to your daily goal.

The way people fail is eating too much of course but also not eating enough. Yes, you heard that right...lol
    Eat all your daily calories with lean meats, fresh fruits and veggies, low fay dairy and whole grains.

Again, welcome!

All Is Possible!
  • fatexpat
    Options
    Welcome!
  • kamhap2003
    Options
    Welcome! I hope this site works good for you. It's helped me a lot. The hardest point is not going over the recommended calories, but I keep in mind that this is what is needed to lose weight. If I go over, I won't lose the weight.