When is an HRM reading dangerous?

Options
When running, my HRM stays in mid- to upper 80s. Running uphills (rollercoaster hills) it stays at around mid-90's.

I'm physically very comfortable in these ranges, and run long distances with the HRM varying between high 80's and low 90's (1.5 hours) since my area has rolling hills. If my arches didn't hurt so much after 8 miles, I could run all morning at this range.

I've run a 5 miles of only rollercoaster hills (up and down same 1/2 mile hill 5 times) and for the 6 minutes up the HRM read 95+, and the 4 minutes down it reduced to low 80's, maybe 70's.

How do you know if it's unsafe, even if you feel great and are comfortable?

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    It probably varies by the person and is affected by your level of fitness and normal resting heart rate. Mine is much higher than yours (it was in the high 150s at a fast walk or slow jog, now mostly in the high 130s). Even my resting heart rate is often in the 90s (but it's going down now that I'm exercising). This is one you might want to ask your doctor if you're really worried about it.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Found an article on heart rate for runners that might help you:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--1039-0,00.html
  • curbnoise
    curbnoise Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Are you listing %? 80-90 bpm seems awfully low for a hour and half run. You must be in tremendous shape or on beta blockers! 80-90% of max seems more likely.
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Yes, do you mean 50-90%?
    My heart rate has gone over the 100% calculated for my age and gender. Nothing bad happened, just had to rest a few minutes. I think the max heart rate is somewhat unique to each individual and that the calculations can be wrong. Try imputting a younger age into your hrm - obviously, the max rate it calculated is not yours.
  • LoraMora
    LoraMora Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I meant %.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't worry about it unless you start feeling dizzy or something like that.

When I exercise(both on my own and with my personal trainer) I've gotten into the 190's and even the 200 range if I'm doing something real intense. Since i've never felt dizzy or sick, I figure its ok.. and if I do ever feel that way, then I'll know to stop and rest.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    HRM's are dangerous when they prevent you from pushing yourself during a workout. Keep in mind that the 220-age calculation is not very accurate. So just b/c you're HRM says you're at 95%, that doesn't mean you're actually at 95%. You might really only be at 80%.

Regardless, if you're a healthy person without heart issues, then you're not going to get a heart attack during a run unless you push yourself past a point where you feel very bad. If you feel okay, don't hold yourself back b/c of the HRM.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    The only dangerous HRM reading is zero. RIP
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Fitness levels can't be totally accurate with HRM's. If you are "dying" when exercising even at high BPM's, then you should be fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    My max heart rate is apparantly 185, well, was, and i was often around 187-88, and i was fine!