Having doubts about the 30 Day Shred...

Options
I'm started the 30 DS this week, as I am gym-less for a month, but I'm not so sure about it...

Obviously I was incredibly sore the first two days, so I took the day off yestersay, and did an hour of cardio (3mph on treadmill with 7.5 incline, walked 2.5 miles) and 30 minutes of strength, and while I did feel the burn, it didn't leave me practically invalid like the shred did...

When time isn't an issue, do I really need a 20 minute super intense workout?

Replies

• servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If I understand correctly, your problem is with the soreness you feel afterwards, right? In that case I would keep up with the shred, but not every day - leave yourself a day to recover and on some of those off days you can do lighter exercise. The reason you were sore is that it worked muscles in a way and at an intensity you're not used to - this is a good thing. You'll get fitter and stronger as time goes on :) Maybe an extended stretch session afterwards will help too
  • Visser1971
    Options
    Howdy,

I was starting to feel the same - I did it for 3 days and then my back went out... so I think I need to start it more slowly. That said, I was not doing any strength stuff before that, only cardio, so I am sure I just started too fast.
    But you sound like you are used to the gym but cannot go for a short time, in which case it depends on the amount of time you have, versus what you used to do at the gym.

But if you are sore, then something is working! I know it is / was for me. Next week I will try again but every other day to start. I still think it can make a bigger difference than just cardio.

Cheers, Christy
  • flisafakto
    flisafakto Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Yes, the soreness was really bad....I could barely walk the next day. I'm wondering if it's the right kind of workout for me. I'm used to cardio, mostly high intensity low speed workouts on the elliptical and treadmill.

It's good that I get to work out new muscle groups, but I'm not sure I should keep the shred as my main workout if it hurts that bad. Am I making the most out of my daily workout with the shred, or should I mainly do regular cardio/strength, then the shred once in a while?
  • Ina82
    Ina82 Posts: 7
    Options
    I was incredibly sore after the first day of 30 DS and had to take the second day off... after that one day of recovery, I've never been that sore again. So I would definitely stick to it!!
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I've read several people mention injuries doing the 30DS. I don't usually do it on consecutive days, I usually do it more spaced out. I just don't think it's a good idea to do this every single day... your body needs recovery. I think it's just as effective to use this as a cardio workout about 3 times a week, with walking 30 min a day on the other days, and maybe a kettlebell or intense weight session on the 7th day.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Or you could do part of the 30DS, like first cycle and then switch to another workout for the rest of your exercise that day. You could work up to it slowly. But speaking for myself, I got great results from the Shred so I wouldn't write it off completely. :)
  • flisafakto
    flisafakto Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I've read several people mention injuries doing the 30DS. I don't usually do it on consecutive days, I usually do it more spaced out. I just don't think it's a good idea to do this every single day... your body needs recovery. I think it's just as effective to use this as a cardio workout about 3 times a week, with walking 30 min a day on the other days, and maybe a kettlebell or intense weight session on the 7th day.

Yeah, I noticed it was especially hard on my knees and ankles, which aren't that solid to begin with. That's why I usually stick to low-impact cardio workouts. I could probably never do jogging or spinning as a regular, daily workout either.

I like the idea of using it occasionally, or just part of it as a daily routine, like servilla mentioned.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Jillian said that it's ment to be done 3-4 days a week. It's called the 30 day shred because the program lasts 30 days not because it's done in 30 days.

Also the soreness goes away after 72 hours and then it gets ridiculously easier. Day 5 I was bored. Afterday 2 I couldn't walk for three days. I guess like she says you force your body to change quickly and it does.

Again though, it wasn't intended to be done consecutively for 30 days.

Edit: doing cardio only is going to get you skinny-fat. I'd say stick with the shred and you'd be surprised what your body can do if you push yourself.

Yeah, I noticed it was especially hard on my knees and ankles, which aren't that solid to begin with. That's why I usually stick to low-impact cardio workouts. I could probably never do jogging or spinning as a regular, daily workout either.

I like the idea of using it occasionally, or just part of it as a daily routine, like servilla mentioned.