Tip to burn hundreds of extra calories a day

Options
When I started trying to lose weight this July, I brought my treadmill out of the storage room, and put it in front of the TV, right next to the couch in my living room. Now, when I watch TV, I get on the treadmill and walk at a slow pace (2.5 mph), and according to my heart rate monitor, I burn around 250 calories per hour. This has helped me burn thousands of calories over the course of the last 6 months. So try this setup out if you can.

Replies

• crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    We've always kept the exercise stuff near the tv for watching while we walk. it'a a great idea! So glad to hear you are doing well and burning those calories. Keep it up!!!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    Options
    Good idea, unfortunately I don't watch alot of TV.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Good idea, unfortunately I don't watch alot of TV.

^ This lol
    I usually point the exercise equipment towards a window, or on the rare occasion pop in a movie.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    When I started MFP over a year ago, my hubby put together an "exercise corner" for me in the room with my elliptical -- I have a wall-mounted TV that is hooked up to an Internet-enabled BluRay player (yay, Netflix!), and surround sound that will occasionally rattle the windows (and startle the dog :laugh: ). Makes the workout time *fly*!!!
  • JOANIE69
    JOANIE69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    hya ive just got a treadmill and am finding it hard as i sweat buckets after half an hour or is it just cos im a novice ,lol x and is it true that you burn more calories if you are big like i am x
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I think your all fantastic for exercising at home! i just cant and if i do then it is at 4.30 in the morning when there is no chance that someone will interupt me! I just feel better at the gym or running outdoors. That and the fact that all 5 boys (inc hubby) sit there and laugh at me!
  • JBorg039
    Options
    It's great to workout at home, I agree. I've been doing so for the past 3 years and it feels amazing. At first I didn't know what I was doing but then I searched for programs I could follow & I found one which brought me success. Now I have the body I have always dreamed of while still living my lifestyle. I found the program on FATCUDA.COM a review site about these programs.
  • RainbowDream83
    Options
    hya ive just got a treadmill and am finding it hard as i sweat buckets after half an hour or is it just cos im a novice ,lol x and is it true that you burn more calories if you are big like i am x

Yes a bigger person will burn more calories because they have more fat to burn. It's gonna be hard at first, but sweating is a good thing...it's always a good thing to keep that heart rate up! But if need be take a min break or so, and don't over do it all at once, after the break is over slow the pace down some and gradually lead up to what you were :)
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    The average American watched 4 hours of TV daily - at least you've got a great way to make that time useful.
    Well done!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    thats my plan..if i had a treadmill at least..that way, you can workout, and still have entertainment..i cant wait for a treadmill one day
  • nalliebell
    nalliebell Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I plan my cardio workouts around my tv schedule as all the cardio equipment at my gym has individual cable boxes. Today I plan on hitting the gym in about an hour and watching a 2 hr movie willie I walk the treadmill :happy:
  • dobarber
    dobarber Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I think your all fantastic for exercising at home! i just cant and if i do then it is at 4.30 in the morning when there is no chance that someone will interupt me! I just feel better at the gym or running outdoors. That and the fact that all 5 boys (inc hubby) sit there and laugh at me!

Yeah I find it hard to work out at home too. Being outside just adds something to it.
  • shifthappens2011
    Options
    The average American watched 4 hours of TV daily - at least you've got a great way to make that time useful.
    Well done!

I just got DirectTV installed as a part of a bundle that actually brought my bill down. I want to know what the hell
    people are watching for 4 hours. I am also not a TV watcher and actually was still doing over the air until now. If this is
    a fact for adults, I think it tells us a lot about what's wrong. It all appears to be crap to me.

Now, in terms of the concept of the treadmill, I so envy people who have knees. Mine are shot. So I try to do most of
    my work in the pool and, thankfullly, its the only place in the facility where there are not huge TV's hanging on the wall.
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options

I get up at 4:30 on weekdays and ride my elliptical for 30 minutes. If exercises of choice are better for you outside of your home, that's great too. I'm sorry to hear that your husband and boys sit and laugh at you. Not very motivational - shame on them. Best wishes to you! :flowerforyou:
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    When I started trying to lose weight this July, I brought my treadmill out of the storage room, and put it in front of the TV, right next to the couch in my living room. Now, when I watch TV, I get on the treadmill and walk at a slow pace (2.5 mph), and according to my heart rate monitor, I burn around 250 calories per hour. This has helped me burn thousands of calories over the course of the last 6 months. So try this setup out if you can.

Great advice! I wish i had the room in my living room, but since I don't - my elliptical faces a window looking into our backyard and I listen to music. Best wishes to you on your journey! :flowerforyou:
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options

Sounds like a great Idea. Can I get directions to your house? What shows will we be watching. LOL
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    OP- Great Idea. I did the same thing.
    I love to run and prefer to do it outside but in the winter that is not an option. So, thank goodness for my treadmill and watching TV while I run makes it easier to stay on!
  • spottedlee
    Options
    duplicate
  • Kamalka
    Kamalka Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Have a small run in a nice green area , will make you feel really good. If you do not push yourself too much, you wil look forward coming back. My way is to slow down and keep thinking "the most important is not to run quick but to wish to come back tomorrow". That works! I enjoyed so much that I now have minus 2500 cal runs (in the middle of the forest) or home biking if the weather is not good.
  • spottedlee
    Options
    Now, in terms of the concept of the treadmill, I so envy people who have knees. Mine are shot. So I try to do most of
    my work in the pool and, thankfullly, its the only place in the facility where there are not huge TV's hanging on the wall.

I do most of my exercise at the pool too,, I prefer back stroke but I still am at a loss -- why are there fire sprinklers over the swimming pool? :huh: and it's not a small pool,, 4 lanes, 25 meter.