U. S. Military

Options
I am a U.S. Navy Sailor and have been serving my country for almost 12 years.

I recently found a topic on here that had some other military on it and was just wondering if there were anymore military people on here?

What are the weight standards for your branch of service? For me in the Navy, I am 5ft 6in and I cannot weight more than 163. Ever since I had my 1st son in 2004 I have not been in standards and I have had to be taped. For females we are taped around our neck, smallest part of our waist, and biggest part of our hips. Those measurements are used to determine our body fat percentage and that determines whether we are in standards or not. I have always made "tape" but never the weigh-in. What about you guys? Do you think the standards for your branch are good, bad, need improvement?

Feel free to add me as a friend too!

Replies

• melissammundy
    Options
    Hello shipmate! lol

im navy as well only an OS3 with only 3 years in. im 5'1 and my max is 145, i currently weigh 136 :(
  • lvnspoonful
    lvnspoonful Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I am a YN1 - hoping to make YNC! My max is 163 and I am over that...just had a baby 9 months ago.
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    retired Navy! =)
  • uboom
    uboom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP shipmate!!!! Electronics LDO.....
  • melissammundy
    Options
    I'm hoping to run my next PRT, i usually do the bike or elliptical. this time i am determined to run!
  • lvnspoonful
    Options
    I have always ran the PRT, this is the first command I have been to where the eliptical and bike were an option - we didnt have either at my last command.
  • blkmale67
    blkmale67 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hello Shipmates,
    HMCS here.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Hey there OP, you sort of know me already. I'm an MA3. I didn't join until I was nearly 28 so it's been interesting to say the least. Overall I think the weight standards are reasonable even though I've had my problems staying within them.

I have to add that although I don't disagree with the weight standards, I do disagree with the 'one size fits all approach' they take to dealing with people who don't pass the PFA in some way, shape or form. But as an MA2 put it "you're in the military and since when do you have a choice in the military?"
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Apologies for crashing the thread, since I'm not in the Military and don't have an answer to the OP's question, but to everyone in this thread.

THANK YOU FOR YOU SERVICE and HAPPY HOLIDAYS. If you are away from your families I hope you are reunited with them soon.

THANK YOU!!
  • armystrong261
    Options
    I was in the ARMY and I was 5'6 and could only weigh 152.
  • lvnspoonful
    Options
    Apologies for crashing the thread, since I'm not in the Military and don't have an answer to the OP's question, but to everyone in this thread.

THANK YOU FOR YOU SERVICE and HAPPY HOLIDAYS. If you are away from your families I hope you are reunited with them soon.

THANK YOU!!

Thank you!
  • lvnspoonful
    Options
    I was in the ARMY and I was 5'6 and could only weigh 152.

Seriously?! WOW I definitely would not have been in standards!!!!
  • lvnspoonful
    Options
    Hey there OP, you sort of know me already. I'm an MA3. I didn't join until I was nearly 28 so it's been interesting to say the least. Overall I think the weight standards are reasonable even though I've had my problems staying within them.

I have to add that although I don't disagree with the weight standards, I do disagree with the 'one size fits all approach' they take to dealing with people who don't pass the PFA in some way, shape or form. But as an MA2 put it "you're in the military and since when do you have a choice in the military?"

I think everyone carries their weight differently - I knew a guy who had a belly as big as a 9 month pg woman, but he had a 19 inch neck so he always made tape. The "one size fits all" definitely is not fair. I have seen guys that are also ALL muscle but they don't make weight or tape and they got kicked out. I think the military should re-think the taping and maybe try a different approach.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options

I think everyone carries their weight differently - I knew a guy who had a belly as big as a 9 month pg woman, but he had a 19 inch neck so he always made tape. The "one size fits all" definitely is not fair. I have seen guys that are also ALL muscle but they don't make weight or tape and they got kicked out. I think the military should re-think the taping and maybe try a different approach.

Exactly, it's what makes that guy have a 19" neck that is the problem. If it's muscle, well ok, but if it's his double chin morphing into a neck-not ok. Overall, though, it seems looks play a bigger role than actual physical fitness and stamina. There is no reason a 23 year old female should get winded after 25 sit-ups and I get 76-but I'm more carefully scrutinized because I'm a few lbs over. But, that's just my opinion, I'm sure it would be a lot different if keeping weight off were easier for me.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm crashing this thread:

You all are wonderful. Thank you so much for serving our country an preserving my freedoms!!!!! You are loved an appreciated :)
  • lvnspoonful
    Options
    Ok I'm crashing this thread:

You all are wonderful. Thank you so much for serving our country an preserving my freedoms!!!!! You are loved an appreciated :)

Aw - thank you!
  • dcarreno
    Options
    Irony is not lost on me. I was a training Nco in the Marine Corps, and I used to have to report the number on the training record and to the CO. I used to think that the numbers where actually to lax. I have no idea now. I just know that I could not measure up right now 22 years later, but watch out I am on my way. I used to send people to the extra PT and even kicked a few out alot of power one Lance Corporal has. Well the numbers are there for a reason we are training warriors to go to war. Time to kick it in gear and loose some baby fat sister. Good luck sister and thank you for serving the greatest country on earth!!! By the way I have lost 22 lbs in the last 60 days..
  • lvnspoonful
    Options
    Irony is not lost on me. I was a training Nco in the Marine Corps, and I used to have to report the number on the training record and to the CO. I used to think that the numbers where actually to lax. I have no idea now. I just know that I could not measure up right now 22 years later, but watch out I am on my way. I used to send people to the extra PT and even kicked a few out alot of power one Lance Corporal has. Well the numbers are there for a reason we are training warriors to go to war. Time to kick it in gear and loose some baby fat sister. Good luck sister and thank you for serving the greatest country on earth!!! By the way I have lost 22 lbs in the last 60 days..

Thank you!!! Sometimes I need a swift kick in the rear to get in gear! :laugh:

Congrats on your 22 pound weight loss - that is great!!!!!

I used to think the weight standards were pretty lax too, but then I had kids and started struggling with my weight - I can run my heart out but can't seem to keep my mouth closed and just say no! :laugh:

I will get there though! Thanks for your service!!!
  • Lora0626
    Lora0626 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    The Air Force has more or less thrown out the actual weight standard. They measure your waist and you have a max of 34" for women, men is higher, and you get points for what your waist size is, a 31.5" waist will get you max points. They also give you certain points based off of you age for your 1.5 mile run, situps and pushups. I run slow so that part kicks my butt...
  • skyblue19912001
    Options
    one big motivation for me is I want to join the military. at my heviest, i was with a guy who was in the guard, and he always wanted me to join, we broke up, and i never stoped wanting to join, i am down 119 pounds, i've got 40 more till iam 150, which is my max, becuase i'm 5'5