Eatting Out with Co-workers

Options
The department I work in eats out all the time. We have group day out each Thursday, and usually go out 2 or 3 other days each week. The group always goes to places that have really poor options. Many don't even have a salad on the menu. I want to be a team player, but at the same time I feel that going out is really hurting my weight loss. I don't want everyone to know that I am trying to loose weight, but I am not sure how else I can nicely say no to going out. Has anyone else had to deal with this, if so, what did you say to not be the party pooper?

Replies

• tahmed
    tahmed Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    The department I work in eats out all the time. We have group day out each Thursday, and usually go out 2 or 3 other days each week. The group always goes to places that have really poor options. Many don't even have a salad on the menu. I want to be a team player, but at the same time I feel that going out is really hurting my weight loss. I don't want everyone to know that I am trying to loose weight, but I am not sure how else I can nicely say no to going out. Has anyone else had to deal with this, if so, what did you say to not be the party pooper?
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I've had to deal with this the last month. I'm in texas for work, and we eat out pretty much every meal. I just do a little research before we go out and figure out my best option. (and I always sub either veggies/fruit/salad for fries/pasta/rice) I always try to know what I'm ordering before I get there so I'm not tempted to get something "bad"

It's been a tough month because I see all the yummy food that they're eating, but then I remember that I've lost weight since I've been here and a lot of them have put on some pounds!!
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Are you allowed to make suggestions on where to go for lunch? Do a little research on the internet and find something new and exciting with a great review and present it. You may be able to open their eyes.
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    My work does this..and usually go to a chinese restaurant where there are so few options. I just decline more than I say yes. My boss is female so I explained to her why I have to pass it up so much, nothing personal, just Im really trying hard to eat better and she understood. I go out once in a blue moon but not very often with them. It sucks but, I know going out all the time was what got me in this position.
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I would explain to them that you'd LOVE to go, but the places they're choosing don't have options for you to eat. Ask them if they're willing to change up where they go. If you explain yourself, they should be more sympathetic and hopefully choose places where you CAN have a salad. Heck even Wendys have good salads...