Freaking Out

Options
So I decided to completely cut out carbs for two weeks and I've been working out everyday. Nothing extreme, just speed walking with a weighted vest and ankle weights for about 30 or 40 mins. I've lost 4lbs this week and that's A LOT for me. When this "diet" is over...what's next?!? I feel overwhelmed thinking about all of this...anyone have an encouraging word?

Replies

• grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    Slow down, breathe. You are doing great. Make this a lifestyle change and you never will have to "diet" again. Diets do not work and the weight almost always comes back. Eat healthy and exercise. That is all there is to it. Good luck!
  • BeautyNBriefcase
    BeautyNBriefcase Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Lenalistic, what's the rush. average weight loss is 2lbs/week. if you've lost 4 in the 1st, you're on a roll. take week two to view what your eating and what your triggers are. i've been walking 30 min a day, doing the 10min workout on youtube, as well abs and haven't lost a lb BUT i'm happy to have the added energy and minimized appetite. wish me luck and i wish you luck! hope to see less of you (meaning loss of lbs) in your next post :)
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Diets are temporary....change the way you eat, exercise regularly. Take it one day at a time.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Are you serious that you COMPLETELY cut out carbs? or just simple sugars and starches? Did you stop fruits and vegetables (carbs) anf fiber rich whole grains (carbs)? :noway:
  • KahuNZ
    KahuNZ Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Just keep exercising and count your calories - slowly the changes will happen. Make wise choices and eat healthy.
  • dcarreno
    Options
    depending on the length of your workouts cutting carbs is not the best solution your body burns fat even if you eat complex carbs. Steer clear of white carbs bread sugar. Eat grains for your carbs and your body can last longer during a workout and meanwhile you will burn more fat build more muscle which in turn burns more fat. Great job though sister!!
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Slow down, breathe. You are doing great. Make this a lifestyle change and you never will have to "diet" again. Diets do not work and the weight almost always comes back. Eat healthy and exercise. That is all there is to it. Good luck!

I agree. Diets don't work, this needs to be a lifestyle change. Also carbs are used as exercise.

This link has some examples of the good carbs and bad carbs. Hope this helps.

http://www.helpwithcooking.com/nutrition-information/carbohydrates.html
  • Lenalistic
    Lenalistic Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    No, I meant like Bread and Pasta. I've been eating meat and veggies/salads...and I ate two bananas this week. I also, have not drank in a couple of weeks. I am someone who like to go out and have wine. AND I have a major sweet tooth..and I mean MAJOR. I'm just freaking because I've tried to lose weight before and its cutting these things out that are making the difference, but I'm pretty sure I can't keep it up.....
  • Lenalistic
    Lenalistic Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the encouraging words everyone. I'm over thinking this (I think). I need to take it one day at a time. Lifestyle change (repeating over and over)
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    cutting out all carbs is not a realistic lifestyle. You have to find a healthy balance. Veggies have carbs - fruits have carbs. and you want those things in your life. I try to limit my starchy carbs - but I load up on veggies (and I eat fruit too).... I have lost 95 pounds so far since january 1 2011..... you can eat carbs and lose weight - trust that. Losing weight quickly is not the important thing. it's making a lifestyle change so that you keep weight off!..... Cutting carbs is a diet (temporary) - it's not permanent like a true lifestyle change.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    So I decided to completely cut out carbs for two weeks and I've been working out everyday. Nothing extreme, just speed walking with a weighted vest and ankle weights for about 30 or 40 mins. I've lost 4lbs this week and that's A LOT for me. When this "diet" is over...what's next?!? I feel overwhelmed thinking about all of this...anyone have an encouraging word?
    Drop the ankle weights. It's not good on your joints. And cutting carbs out completely isn't a good way to go. You may be freaking out because the brain actually needs carbs to function more efficiently. While you can do it on ketones, science has shown that carbs are a much more efficient way to "feed the brain".
    Also if you eat any carbs at all now, you'll gain the 4lbs back. I promise you will. Your body will sense them and store them as glycogen along with water. You can't stop it from happening unless you completely stay off carbs the rest of your life.
    Learn how to moderate how you eat rather than go to extremes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    When this "diet" is over...what's next?!?

Chalk it up to lessons learned, and avoid going on any senseless fad "diets" in the future.
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    No, I meant like Bread and Pasta. I've been eating meat and veggies/salads...and I ate two bananas this week. I also, have not drank in a couple of weeks. I am someone who like to go out and have wine. AND I have a major sweet tooth..and I mean MAJOR. I'm just freaking because I've tried to lose weight before and its cutting these things out that are making the difference, but I'm pretty sure I can't keep it up.....

If you stick to a reduced calorie deficit you'll lose weight. Its the truth.

Cutting carbs is not realistic if you love them and need them in your life. Just make simple changes to include the things that you love. Your body needs carbs for energy!!

Today I'm eating my calories, running and eating my exercise calories back...tonight I'm having wings for dinner. Its about the calories, not the carbs or fat....just stick to a well balanced diet to make sure your body is getting adequate nutrients. Why lose weight and be unhealthy? Don't we want to be healthy and fit?

Today I'm baking oatmeal raisin cookies with my daughters, they dont fit in my calories today, so I'll have one tomorrow. This is a real life change. Cutting out the things you love wont work. Cutting things for 2 weeks wont work. Learning to look at food differently will work.

Good luck :)
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    id say your doing fantastic! keep it up and good luck!! :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options

It may be working now - but if you suspect you won't stick with it... well, then it is a "diet". It is a temporary way to lose weight. This isn't something you can do for the rest of your life. Take a step back and re-evaluate things. You need to find something that not only works, but is sustainable for the rest of your life (for most people - watching their calories will achieve this completely. Learning about serving sizes without restricting the things you can eat is what most people find is the key to long term success). Good luck.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    THIS - I have gotten some great results that I knew were obtained using methods of diet I could never maintain, so I'm with you. The hard part is trying to keep the gain once normal eating resumes.

My solution to this anticipated issue was to eat normal but double cardio for 3 days, then cut back to normal the last 2 followed by a well deserved rest day.

Nice plan.

I gained back the weight anyway....:mad:
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Diets are temporary....change the way you eat, exercise regularly. Take it one day at a time.

Bingo! Plus change the way you look at food. You know, eat to live instead of live to eat. That's what I did and it's been working quite well.

Best of luck.