Getting a puppy

Options
jacquelyn_erika
jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
My boyfriend and I are looking into possibly getting a puppy. We've done quite a bit of research (not done yet) and are going to look at one tomorrow.

We typically work opposite schedules, but for the remainder of the month we will both be gone from 8-2. Crating her is obviously an option, but we live in an apartment so I worry about barking. Our neighbors across the hall have 2 yappy dogs and I know how much of an annoyance it can be.

I've heard of people leaving the dog in the bathroom with some kind of baby gate up. I'm thinking that sounds like the best route for now until we crate train her, but then I worry that she might think the bathroom is the potty spot and go in there to use the bathroom always..

I could use any and all advice you guys have, so let me hear it :) I'm a little nervous about this but it's something we really want so it's going to be a nice Christmas present!!

Replies

• Poohsta0
    Poohsta0 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Worry more that she doesn't panic and tear up the floor and/or the door. I speak from sad experience. The crate is a comfortable spot for them. I have left mine, as puppies, in the crate for up to about 8 hours with no problem.
  • jackiebo
    jackiebo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    if you live in a small apartment, you need a small dog. And you still need to take it out for walks before you leave for work, if you don't want a yippy, unbalanced dog; small dogs need exercise, too. Do a lot of reading before you make the commitment.

Jackie Who Has Raised Dogs
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    What about your schedules for next month. Having a puppy is fine and all, but I hate the idea of having one locked up in a bathroom or crate all day. That's why I don't have one!! I love dogs to death and I sooooo wish I could have one, but you must be absolutely sure that this animal will get the attention it deserves.

(I truly don't mean to rain on your parade, and you probably would give the puppy a better home than it has in the shelter either way, I am sure)

;)
  • ellekay22
    ellekay22 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Meet the parents of the puppy - both if possible. That will give you a good idea of what his/her temperament will be like.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I seriously advise that you start crate training while it's still a puppy!

Make a nice bed in there and keep the door open when you're home so they feel safe and comfortable in there. We did this with our youngest dog and he goes into his crate no problem. Now that he's older he can stay in there while we're at work or out and we don't come back to a torn up apartment (like some of my friends who did not crate train).
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    if you live in a small apartment, you need a small dog.
    Actually, I don't think the size of your apartment/house matters that much. A large dog needs daily outdoor exercise regardless of the size of the house. Even a large house is not going to be enough.

If you are willing to spend quite a bit of time EVERY DAY taking the dog out and giving him/her ample opportunity to exercise, then a large dog is very much a possibility. It's quite a commitment, though. All dogs require time and attention, regardless of size, but large ones (as well as some of the more active medium breeds) definitely need more when it comes to exercise...
  • spelham15
    spelham15 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to hear you guys have done a lot of research before making this decision. I waited a year and a half after my first thought of a dog and finding the right one for me. You will know when it's the right one. :)

In terms of the crate....I was opposed to crate training my dog at first because I grew up with outdoor dogs that never had crates. However, after a few weeks of accidents while I was at work, I broke down and purchased a wire, collapsable crate and have never looked back. The crate was the best thing I could have done for both me and my dog! Make sure to use the crate appropriately, though, and not as punishment for your puppy. You want them to know that the crate is their safe haven. Also, I would suggest buying the size for your dog when it is full-grown, but use the divider to make the crate the correct size for when they are smaller. Lastly, when my dog was young I heard advice that a puppy can hold their bladder for one hour longer than they are months old (i.e. if they are 4 months old, they can hold it for 5 hours). However, I left my dog longer without incident....you'll learn what works for your pup.

Have fun!!! :)
  • spelham15
    spelham15 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to hear you guys have done a lot of research before making this decision. I waited a year and a half after my first thought of a dog and finding the right one for me. You will know when it's the right one. :)

In terms of the crate....I was opposed to crate training my dog at first because I grew up with outdoor dogs that never had crates. However, after a few weeks of accidents while I was at work, I broke down and purchased a wire, collapsable crate and have never looked back. The crate was the best thing I could have done for both me and my dog! Make sure to use the crate appropriately, though, and not as punishment for your puppy. You want them to know that the crate is their safe haven. Also, I would suggest buying the size for your dog when it is full-grown, but use the divider to make the crate the correct size for when they are smaller. Lastly, when my dog was young I heard advice that a puppy can hold their bladder for one hour longer than they are months old (i.e. if they are 4 months old, they can hold it for 5 hours). However, I left my dog longer without incident....you'll learn what works for your pup.

Have fun!!! :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The 'remainder of the month' is only two weeks. If you're still on the "maybe, possibly" phase, why not wait until you know for sure, and your schedule is more normal?

I strongly advise looking into adopting a young adult from a rescue who's already potty trained and crate trained. We adopted our Pekingese Beavis when he was about two years old, and he was already neutered, microchipped, house trained, and would sleep in his crate even without the door on it.
  • adriayellow11
    Options
    I've raised one puppy and am raising a second one now. I would crate train with the advice of a professional trainer if you've never done it and omit the bathroom thing altogether--the less space the puppy has the less damage both to the dog emotionally and to your place. I've managed to crate train both dogs within 3 days. You will lose sleep in those 3 days but if you do it right and are consistent (hence a professional's advice is helpful so you and your man are on the same team) I don't see it being too painful. Friend me if you like. I can tell you what our trainers told us if you like.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I foster for a golden retriever rescue and have done so for almost 9 years now. For the last 4+ years, I have fostered only puppies. I also work for a trainer and board puppies in my home for in home training for 3 weeks per puppy.

I would suggest waiting until January when you are back on opposite schedules. It's going to derail your housetraining if you are gone for 6 hours at a time. The general rule is 1 hour of crate time per month of age. So a 6-8 week old puppy should not be confined in a crate (or bathroom) for more than 2 hours at a time.

It doesn't matter if you get a big or small breed regardless of the size of your apartment if you are committed to walking the puppy/dog. There is no such thing as a dog too big to live in an apartment. They adjust just fine as long as they are getting sufficient exercise. Exercise is extremely important for a happy, healthy puppy. A dog park doesn't do it, that's just a place where a bunch of unstable dogs run around acting like fools. LOL.

Good luck! I love every single puppy I foster or train, and I get the good part. Puppy breath, puppy kisses and then handing them over to their owners after a few weeks. My dogs love the puppies, but they are always ready to see them leave. lol
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Do a ton of research before getting a puppy.

Are you both first time dog owners? If you are, I would start reading books on training and dogs now to have an idea how you are going to handle it. Puppy classes and training classes are a good idea. The vast majority of behavior problems people complain about are due to lack of training, not a problem dog. Unfortunately, people refuse to believe this and end up giving the dog up.

Research the breed. It isn't about cute. Breed matters. Certain breeds were bred to do certain things. For example, people get a beagle because they are cute and small, but they were bred to hunt/track and bark at the quarry. People get upset when they find these dogs can be high energy, easily distracted by scent and vocal. Its how they were bred to be. Any of the working breeds are going to require a lot of exercise (this includes the perinnal favorite, the Lab).
    With mixes, there is no guarantee of what traits will appear. But again, they will show some of the traits of either breed. So a beagle/pug mix may be more like a pug, or more like a beagle. Research the breeds and be prepared for any trait of either breed.
    Remember - a bored dog is a destructive dog. A high energy dog that is not given an outlet for its energy can be a nightmare.

Puppies are like babies. They need constant attention. They have no idea what we expect them to do, we have to show them in a way they undertand. I can't stress how much work a puppy is. Be prepared to get up thoughout the night. Be prepared for crying, accidents, chewing, biting, etc. You will never really get how much work they are until you have one.

If you are going to a breeder, you should learn about backyard breeders and good breeders. There are more than enough dogs in shelters, those who choose to breed dogs should be striving to produce a good, healthy dog. Good breeders cost more, but they do things like health clearances that pertain to that breed (these are things like genetic testing for diseases, hip and elbow xrays, etc). There are many health problems prevelent in breeds that can be avoided or lessen the chances if breeders breed only healthy dogs. "vet checks" are NOT the same. Many diseases like hip or elbow dysplasia, heart defects, etc, can only be detected with specific tests, not your usual vet visit (unless they have progressed to the point where it is causing a big problem). To me, there is no excuse for breeding without proper health clearances. It doesn't prevent genetic diseases but it does stack the deck in your favor. I also like to see a breeder who proves their dogs, that is works them if they are a working breed.

Here are some great articles (scroll past the breeding ones) that can help you learn about getting a puppy. It is from a Lab breeder but you can apply most of it to any breeder.
    http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/breeding.html

I strongly urge you to not go puppy shopping before you have done your research and made a solid decision (including what type of dog is best for you). It is easy to fall in love with a puppy face and make a rash decision you may not be prepared for. Plus, the majority of good breeders do not plan Christmas litters. It is one of the worst times to bring a puppy home. There is a lot going on that time of year. And, good breeders won't sell puppies that may end up being Christmas presents.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    just remember that you have to train train train this animal. it is a lot of work, and will not be done in just a few weeks. think more like, two years to really get the animal properly trained so it knows what to do and when to do it.

can you please consider adopting an adult animal? a 3-5 year old dog still has a good 10 years of life left, comes trained and medically cleared. a shelter animal is always so loving, and so appreciative of having a good home, and many times they are free. best of all, at that age their personalities are pretty well formed, so you know if you are getting an active dog, or one that is a little more mellow. you can go and play with a few until you find one you like and that fits with what you guys want.

i know puppies are just so cute, but they are not so cute when they decide that 3am is play time, and their favorite toy is your foot.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Originally my bf and I left our puppy in the kitchen with the child gate keeping him in there while we were out and overnight. We thought that would be fine but he ended up barking all the time - seriously he would bark for ages at night until you came down, and when we'd get back from shopping we could hear him barking through the front door before we even got inside, like he'd been doing it the whole time :/ The minute we started crate training it was fine, I seriously cannot recommend that enough.

I think they see it as their little home, all secure and comfy :) Also they don't relieve themselves in there unless they're desperate as dogs don't like to go near where they sleep. (Who would??) lol He never thought afterwards, "oh lets go toilet in the kitchen" and would just start sniffing around ready to go anywhere (until he was fully housetrained) in which he'd bark to go outside :)
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    Originally my bf and I left our puppy in the kitchen with the child gate keeping him in there while we were out and overnight. We thought that would be fine but he ended up barking all the time - seriously he would bark for ages at night until you came down, and when we'd get back from shopping we could hear him barking through the front door before we even got inside, like he'd been doing it the whole time :/ The minute we started crate training it was fine, I seriously cannot recommend that enough.

Makes me think of the time when my brother left his pug gated in his study for the day. Turns out there was a huge thunderstorm, the poor puppy was terrified and pooped all over, then walked in the poop (he was pacing), then tried jumping up the walls with his poopy paws. Imagine the scene when my brother got home!! Poor pug though, they are emotional dogs to begin with. :(

I also agree with any poster who suggests adopting a dog. For some reason in my earlier post I just assumed that's what you were doing. Do people still buy dogs?! (ok, a bit sarcastic, but kinda serious too..)
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I also agree with any poster who suggests adopting a dog. For some reason in my earlier post I just assumed that's what you were doing. Do people still buy dogs?! (ok, a bit sarcastic, but kinda serious too..)

Yes, people still buy dogs. I have no issue with adopting either, but for some of my dogs there are certain things that I look for. Some of my dogs are working dogs and they were bought.
    With a good breeder, I have a good idea of what I am going to get, in health, temperament, including drives. Temperament is hereditary. Health can depend a lot on genetics. I see nothing wrong with going to a breeder who is striving to produce sound, healthy examples of their breed, especially when the dogs will be used for a purpose.

Again, I have nothing against adopting. I will adopt as well and I encourage others to. But for some of my dogs I will also go to a good breeder.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Yes, people still buy dogs. I have no issue with adopting either, but for some of my dogs there are certain things that I look for. Some of my dogs are working dogs and they were bought.
    With a good breeder, I have a good idea of what I am going to get, in health, temperament, including drives. Temperament is hereditary. Health can depend a lot on genetics. I see nothing wrong with going to a breeder who is striving to produce sound, healthy examples of their breed, especially when the dogs will be used for a purpose.

Again, I have nothing against adopting. I will adopt as well and I encourage others to. But for some of my dogs I will also go to a good breeder.

So many unwanted dogs (from breeders) are put in shelters and put down every year. Do we really still need to be breeding animals for our pleasure?
  • moniquelessard
    Options

Thank you for enlightening me (this sounds sarcastic, but it's not). Truly, I agree that breeding for a purpose (working dog) is important. However, back to the topic at hand, this poster is looking for an apartment pet. xo
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

So many unwanted dogs (from breeders) are put in shelters and put down every year. Do we really still need to be breeding animals for our pleasure?

Good breeders aren't the problem. Good breeders do things like have spay/neuter contract and clauses that state if the dog is given up for any reason they must be offered the dog first and offer to take their dog back at any time. Most of the good breeders I know also work in rescue.
    And the majority of dogs in shelters don't come from the breeder, they had a home once. Someone bought them and gave them up.
    Also, the vast majority of the dogs in shelters come from crappy breeders who pump out dogs for money, puppy mills and "oops" litters.
    We have a pet abandoment problem, not a pet overpopulation problem. We need to stop treating animals like they are disposible, then maybe we will see a drop in animals being put to sleep.

Good breeders produce a type of dog that sometimes cannot be found in a shelter. Most service dogs come from breeding programs for a reason.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    If you live in an apartment you shouldn't have a dog. Dogs need lots of exercise, a walk every day isn't enough for most dogs. They need to run, play, etc.

The only dog I could suggest getting is a retired racing greyhound. They are very calm and like to spend their time indoors, usually lying on their bed. They are already very well-trained and you can find ones that are only a couple of years old. Other than that, any other dog (especially if it's a puppy) will tear things up and will bark when alone. Coming from a mom of almost three kids, raising a puppy is a lot more work than a baby and it's a lot more frustrating. Unless you have ample time to devote to training you probably will not enjoy raising a dog.