What have you benefited from supplements?

Options
sarah307
sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
I just want to be the healthiest person I can be :)

There are many threads about supplements and which ones people are taking, etc. I searched and searched but still haven't found what I am looking for exactly :D

But I was wondering...

A. WHICH supplements do you take?
B. WHY did you choose that supplement?
C. what BENEFITS have you noticed from (example) supplements?***
D. WHAT research have you personally found that supports your answers.

For example..

Right now I am taking...

*5 HTP - to increase serotonin levels to help with my depression + my regular antidepressants. I have found that this does wonders for me in aiding with my prescription meds.

*Fish Oils 1000 mg - for overall heart health <3 haven't had any problems with fish oils
(I rarely eat fish so I need those omega 3 fatty acids!)

*Vitamin D - woman's health - I recently stopped taking this because I think it was making my face breakout?
*could be unrelated though*

I am going to start taking...

*Zinc - for tissue and muscle repair, clearer skin, healthy hair/nails, to build immune system, etc
*Green Tea Extract - antioxidants, get rid of free radicals in the body, detox those toxins!!

*** Please let me know if any of my information is wrong, I am just stating what my I have learned from my college courses (radiology major) so I am not a nutritionist major by any means! And also I found some information on WebMD :D so who knows what is technically correct :D

I'd like to know others stories on this subject in detail of how it has benefited you :) THANKS!

Replies

• TheShelterCat
    Options
    Protein supplement for women, daily multi-vitamins and omega 3's but they tend to make me pretty gassy :laugh:
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Tell me more about this 5 HTP. What is it? Where do you get it?

I take sublingual B12 for energy and 4000 IU of vitamin D for depression. I haven't noticed any difference in breakouts with the vitamin D -- I break out all the time whether I'm taking them or not, but when I take them I don't get nearly so down about it. :laugh:
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Glutamine - Reduces DOMS + quickens recovery

Scivation Xtend - Increases stamina during workouts + aids in recovery

Oxy Elite Pro - Increased energy, helped me trim the fat.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I find that supplements give me spectacularly-colored urine.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Nothing except the convenience of having a quick, healthy bite to eat when I'm on the run or rushed.

I am not a big advocate of supplementation.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    5 HTP you can get a places like Nutrition House for example.

I currently take a multivitamin, vitamin C, vitamin D3, calcium, magnesium, glucosamine, acidophilus, and green tea. Glucosamine has help a great deal with my osteoarthritis.

I just exercise to deal with my depression.
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    bump
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Here is what I take.
    Prostelan for prostate health
    Fish oil - to help with cholesterol
    COQ10 for heart health
    Vitamin D - for many reasons - I have a vitamin D level drawn annually.
    Vitamin C 1000 mg twice daily - anti inflammatory
    Magnesium - 400 mg twice daily neuromuscular health - also improve my sleep
    Amino acids - depending on my training schedule (running a 50K in March - and a half Ironman in May)
    Chromium - stabilize blood sugar
    Green supplement
    Multivitamin
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    See I have talked to you about vitamins before, and I thought that heavy discoloration was a bad thing. So why would you take that if it's causing so much color in urine. I still havent been able to find a multi, that my stomach/head can tolorate, or that doesn't have gluten. So I'm still using a childrens vitamin.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I would suggest having bloodwork done and find out where your levels are for a start. Omega 3's ... such as Fish oil is always is beneficial. Vitamin D3 is imperative ... Nobody gets enough naturally, never heard of it being a source of breakouts .. maybe try a different brand. A multi is always a good choice ... people just don't eat enough vitamin added foods and need a little help, if possible always go for " gel or liquid " form .... disolves faster and starts working immediately. Live cultures / organisms is extrememly helpful for digestive health. Plant-Based Omega 3 6 9 ( Flax seed, Evening Primrose & Borage Oils ) is awesome ! Resveratrol is great for the heart ! Superior Antioxident Protection !

My motto .... Think of your body as a " Machine " ... Oil the joints and muscles to run at optimum performance !

I have personally seen a difference in my health and my blood tests have confirmed it. The key is to find out what your lacking and then find the best healthiest way to replace it ... either naturally or as close as possible with a good supplement.

Remember ... to each is own, find what works for you ! If it sounds to good to be true ... chances are it is ! Btw ... Dr Oz has incredible info on his site in reference to these ... the man is brilliant, even if he is a bit strange ! :)
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Sheldon: Oh boy.
    Penny: What now?
    Sheldon: Well, there's some value to taking a multi-vitamin but the human body can only absorb so much. What you're buying here are the ingredients for very expensive urine.
    Penny: Well, maybe that's what I was going for.
    Sheldon: Well then you'll want some manganese.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Sheldon: Oh boy.
    Penny: What now?
    Sheldon: Well, there's some value to taking a multi-vitamin but the human body can only absorb so much. What you're buying here are the ingredients for very expensive urine.
    Penny: Well, maybe that's what I was going for.
    Sheldon: Well then you'll want some manganese.

I :heart: you.

And bump so I can read other responses.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    See I have talked to you about vitamins before, and I thought that heavy discoloration was a bad thing. So why would you take that if it's causing so much color in urine. I still havent been able to find a multi, that my stomach/head can tolorate, or that doesn't have gluten. So I'm still using a childrens vitamin.

It's riboflavin(B2) that turns your urine colors. Honestly, it's a good thing. The color, from a health standpoint, is meaningless, it's just excess B2 that your body doesn't need being eliminated. The good part, is in order for it to get into your urine, your body has to absorb and process it, which means the supplement your taking is being used by your body. Sadly enough, there are plenty of multivitamins out there that, due mostly to formulation issues, just pass right on through and contribute nothing to your nutrition.

As for the original question, I take a good multivitamin, and I take fish oil. Occasionally whey protein for post workout recovery. I don't see the point in heavy supplementation when my multivitamin covers everything I don't get from food. Most supplements on the market are dubious at best in their effectiveness, and are more marketing cash grabs than actual health item.
  • Elixandra
    Elixandra Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I take Simply One Women multi vitamin with pms support. And Evening Primrose Oil. It keeps the crazies down for that wonderful time of the month where you want to dance in white pants. :tongue:
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    All I take is Megafood's Blood Builder to supplement my iron intake (my focus is energy). For me, I prefer to get all my nutrients from food, but I could not get my iron levels up beyond 50% no matter how hard I tried! This pill is supposedly 100% whole food, but it makes me less comfy than, say, spinach. Alas.
  • QingTing
    QingTing Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Right now I am taking Omega-3 fish oils and iron.

The omega-3 is because Dr. Oz said so :P

Iron because I donate blood regularly and my hemoglobin levels are often too low.

I used to take a multi but it always made me throw up unless I took it with a starch-heavy meal.

I used to take Emergen-C but I ran out :P
  • Azdak
    Options

Umm... I was making a juvenile, sarcastic remark. I'm not above that.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

The suit in your avatar makes read everything you say in a serious tone.
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I would suggest having bloodwork done and find out where your levels are for a start. Omega 3's ... such as Fish oil is always is beneficial. Vitamin D3 is imperative ... Nobody gets enough naturally, never heard of it being a source of breakouts .. maybe try a different brand. A multi is always a good choice ... people just don't eat enough vitamin added foods and need a little help, if possible always go for " gel or liquid " form .... disolves faster and starts working immediately. Live cultures / organisms is extrememly helpful for digestive health. Plant-Based Omega 3 6 9 ( Flax seed, Evening Primrose & Borage Oils ) is awesome ! Resveratrol is great for the heart ! Superior Antioxident Protection !

My motto .... Think of your body as a " Machine " ... Oil the joints and muscles to run at optimum performance !

I have personally seen a difference in my health and my blood tests have confirmed it. The key is to find out what your lacking and then find the best healthiest way to replace it ... either naturally or as close as possible with a good supplement.

Remember ... to each is own, find what works for you ! If it sounds to good to be true ... chances are it is ! Btw ... Dr Oz has incredible info on his site in reference to these ... the man is brilliant, even if he is a bit strange ! :)

thanks! this helped me out a lot!
  • Azdak
    Options

The suit in your avatar makes read everything you say in a serious tone.

I have very few pictures of myself available. I have probably only had 3 or 4 pictures of me taken since that one from 2009 that I use for my profile. Usually, I am on the other side of the camera. Or my wife is in the picture with me, and since she didn't sign up for this site, I do not want to invade her privacy by including her picture. Lastly, I am too lazy to crop her out of the pictures. So, there you have it--me in a suit.

Maybe I should replace that with the one she took of me this summer in front of St Peters in Vatican City--but it looks just as dorky, so I don't bother.