I really can't grasp this...

Options

Replies

• trill0042
    trill0042 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Some of the posts here really kinda piss me off. My goal is 1200. At first it was almost impossible to reach my goal, but now I'm totally used to it. I eat small, spaced out meals and snacks that i plan out and log at the begining of the day. Now that my body is used to it, I'm just not as hungry as I used to be. Sometimes when I get home at night I realize that I'm just not hungry but make myself eat anyways until I reach 1200. Check my diary if you want to, it's open.

I am not a "nut job" I don't have an eating disorder. I have over 50 more pounds to lose before my BMI is in the "healthy" range. It's just a matter of retraining your body regarding the amount of food you think you need.

Some of the posts on these forums are just so judgmental. It makes me sick.
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    I eat bacon and eggs for breakfast most days, fruits and salads etc for lunch, cheese, I love my steak and homemade gravies, tons of vegies etc.

I am lactose intolerant, gluten intolerant and I find it really hard a lot of the time to get 1200 NET calories a day. Heavier exercise days I really do struggle to eat enough. My daily intake will end up being around 1300 - 1500 usually which is still pretty hard for me to reach.

And the days that I spend doing art and drawing my appetite disappears because I am so focused and I am just not hungry/forget to eat. I also usually have to send a fair bit of time preparing my meals so I can't usually grab something quick and easy but I have started hard boiling eggs and keeping lots of nuts around to give me a better option rather than only grabbing an apple.

I cook everything from scratch, dont eat a lot of grains anymore and very little diary.

Not everyone can be generalised. Take away a lot of processed food and it can be hard.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    feta is the crumbly type cheese, right? lol

edit: I have google. I can look it up. Sorry.

We're here to help each other;)

Yup is the crumbly stuff (make sure it's the goat type as it's easier on the stomach). You can melt it on top of your stuffed peppers (or anything else) and it sort of toasts rather than goop and drip and it doesn't really leave the funny slick of oil the other cheese does.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Ok, I get the science behind it and I've read articles like the popular one titled "obesity at 700 calories"... But when I continuously see people on the forums saying how hard it is to eat 1200 calories a day and that they just can't possibly eat that much, I have to say it never fails to baffle my mind. I could easily put away 3,000 calories a day if I could. I just love to eat. That is all. :)

My heart goes out, but I am here to connect with can-do people who are as determined as I am to reach these goals.

I think a lot of people, even with the use of a diary, aren't completely honest with what they eat. I work with a lady when I was at Wendy's who was morbidly obese. She claimed she was so big because she worked such long hours and was only able to eat one meal a day-yet she constantly made sandwiches and got soda and candy from the gas station next door. Her mindless snacking throughout the day added on so many calories it was hard for her to keep track of it all. And I think we've all had days where we eat less than usual, some days I get sidetracked, or like Thursday at work I didn't get to eat until about 3am because of paperwork etc we had to deal with. And like you said there are also the extrememly thin types who have no business being here trying to lose weight (being healthy they do obviously), and also, I feel like some of these people want attention when they post that they 'can't possibly' eat so many calories. But for the overweight people who say they can't possibly eat that much, I'm willing to bet it's a lie.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify the tone of my post... I was not trying to call anyone out and not including people with eating disorders as part of this, because as a recovered drug addict, I completely understand that diseases which require treatment and recovery are way beyond the realm of my lighthearted post. I totally believe some people have small appetites and they cannot eat much... I just jokingly say that "I cannot grasp it" because I totally LOVE to eat and my appetite is like that of a 300 pound linebacker. Of course I understand it's possible... But hard to fathom. Just like someone who hates math can understand that a math major must actually enjoy it but cannot fathom how.

Just posting again, as things get lost in the shuffle.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    feta is the crumbly type cheese, right? lol

edit: I have google. I can look it up. Sorry.
    Yeah it is. My husband is turkish and they have feta running through their veins so I can share some recipes with you! It really goes well in egg omelet for example.
  • mprosenbalm
    Options
    I don't eat 1200 calories a day, because I do not eat my first meal unitl 2:30 or 3:00 in the afternoon. If I took in that many calories after losing the weight I have by lowering calories and fat consumption I would gain it all back.
  • servilia
    Options
    I don't eat 1200 calories a day, because I do not eat my first meal unitl 2:30 or 3:00 in the afternoon. If I took in that many calories after losing the weight I have by lowering calories and fat consumption I would gain it all back.

How do you know that?
    I lost 28lbs by regularly eating 800-1200 cals between 8pm and bedtime. I'm not much of a daytime eater either so I have a lot of cals leftover for when I'll really enjoy them.
  • Tunia85
    Tunia85 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Ok, I get the science behind it and I've read articles like the popular one titled "obesity at 700 calories"... But when I continuously see people on the forums saying how hard it is to eat 1200 calories a day and that they just can't possibly eat that much, I have to say it never fails to baffle my mind. I could easily put away 3,000 calories a day if I could. I just love to eat. That is all. :)

My heart goes out, but I am here to connect with can-do people who are as determined as I am to reach these goals.

I gained weight eating unhealthy “food” (ex: fast food, sugar, way too much cheese, white bread….). When you take that out you have to learn to eat healthy food. It’s very hard to get enough calories eating fresh fruit, veggies and lean protein. You learn to add in nuts and seeds, fresh nut butters, and healthy fats. You have to learn to cook.

I think that some of these statements are unfair, judgmental, mean and more than a little rude. It took me months and help from my doctor and nutritionist to be able to get to 1200.

Be baffled no more.

Great explanation!
  • Emme727
    Emme727 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    This is my background -- so that you have a little understanding of those of us who struggle to find 1200 calories.

I have fought with ED for almost my entire life -- starting when I was 13. It became bad when I was a teenager -- all that I would eat were crackers and applesauce while simultaneously dancing in a ballet company and running track and cross country in high school. It was in that time that became afraid of food. My coaches became concerned and sought treatment for me. The ballet director called me fat (5'8" and 108lbs). I was forced to quit dancing.

It was during my pregnancies that I allowed myself to eat, as the food wasn't for me, but for the baby. I gained weight and then couldn't lose (because my metabolism was soooo screwed up).

Now, 20 years after high school, I am finally attempting to deal with this in a healthy manner. Last summer when I was first trying to lose weight, I was eating about 500 calories a day. I was *terrified* of food. My partner encouraged me to join MFP so that I could be healthy and lose weight (she's on here). When I started tracking calories, I was only eating 500-700 a day. Now I struggle to get to 1200, but I graze and seek food until I get to that (at minimum). I can be seen standing at the refrigerator and doing math in my head to find the healthiest calories. She wanted me to see that my fear of food was bad.

The sad thing is that she's a chef and I am a baker. I was afraid to do anything more than taste any of our food (a teaspoon of this or that would be my only "meals"). I learned recently that it is not uncommon for people with ED to work in the food industry -- we are around food, but train ourselves to not want any of it (I can backe all day and not have a taste quiet easily).

It is a mindset (for me). I now try to see that food is healthy and can help me, rather than it being the enemy. So, struggling to get to 1200? yes. Some people are here to lose weight and cut calories, while some are here to change how we see food. I am trying, but it hard to train your body and mind to change in this way.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options

How many calories do you burn through exercise though? And why don't you eat until 2:30 or 3:00pm, and when is your last meal for the day? There are always a lot of factors to look at with caloric intake throughout the day.
  • judykritikos
    Options
    It's easy to eat 3,000 cal's a day when you're eating crap and junk food. That's why we're here trying to lose weight. Not hard to understand that eating crap all the time means we're all 30-50-100 lbs overweight.
    Eat sensible HEALTHY food - and it's easy to be at 1200 cals a day.
    I eat sensibly, I'm not hungry, and at times I have to eat my extra frozen banana at night to get close to 1200.
    Check out my dairy and you'll see - I eat oatmeal in the morning, I have hot apple cider more for warmth mid-morning.
    I eat a Heatlhy choice lunch, some pop chips for salt/crunch and fruit in the afternoon.
    I usually have a chicken salad, or some meat w/ vege or pasta and vege.
    For desert I eat 1-2 frozen bananas.
    I don't eat candy/sweets, I don't eat bread (becuz I really just don't care for it). i cut out the white sugar and white flower.
    What's left? A lot of stuff that's just low cal. You can eat a head of broccoli and cauliflower and barely hit 500 cals.
    Some days I'm just so busy at work that I don't have time to eat big meals, but I try and eat decent stuff.
    Add a 1-hour workout, and suddenly I'm 600 calories short. I just can't find 600 calories to eat just for the sake of eating.
    No mystical science to this, no bafflement - it's just what it is. Not eating cheeseburgers, fries, chocolate, or fast food.
  • servilia
    Options

I gained weight eating unhealthy “food” (ex: fast food, sugar, way too much cheese, white bread….). When you take that out you have to learn to eat healthy food. It’s very hard to get enough calories eating fresh fruit, veggies and lean protein. You learn to add in nuts and seeds, fresh nut butters, and healthy fats. You have to learn to cook.

I think that some of these statements are unfair, judgmental, mean and more than a little rude. It took me months and help from my doctor and nutritionist to be able to get to 1200.

Be baffled no more.

Great explanation!
    :huh:
    Not really.
    I don't see any compelling reason to cut out all cheese and bread at all. Why would you limit yourself to fruit and vegetables anyways? You can keep losing while eating cheese and bread. The point is to stay under your caloric requirement.
  • swimforever
    Options
    I don't find it that hard to eat under 1200 calories in a day. First off, I don't feel hungry that often. When I'm studying with people they all are like "I need to go take a break and get some supper because I'm hungry" and I didn't even start feeling hungry at all. Sometimes the only thing that reminds me to eat is a bad headache. I'm trying to eat more, but I have a really hard time eating my 1600 calories a day. I think that if you've never been in the place of someone who's tried so hard to restrict calories for a long time you don't understand what it's like. I know when I was 8 I could eat 3 big helpings of mashed potatoes with gravy and not give it a second thought. I knew what it was like to eat 3000 calories a day. I used to drink lots of milk, but now the thought of 2 cups of milk and all the calories in it just scares me. I am trying to gain weight again so I've been trying a lot harder to drink more milk and eat cheese and almonds and stuff, but it can be hard when you get into a bad habit.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

Uh, no. When I first started cutting out most processed food I was unknowingly eating around 900 calories a day on average. I wasn't hungry, I had full meals and would snack on vegetables. My body became adjusted to that amount and I just didn't feel hungry. When I found MFP and started logging I was shocked at how few calories I was consuming. I started upping by making each meal just a little larger, and my goal is over 1200. I had to readjust my body - but it wasn't that hard and I did it because I knew how important it was to get the nutrition I needed, but I wasn't lying and I didn't have an ED that caused it - I just didn't count calories and my body adjusted to not feel hungry (though I was obviously undereating).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    This is such a crock. The only people not eating the 1200 calorie minimum are people who may have mild to serious ED. I've rarely seen an overweight person from consuming under 1000 calories a day. They are overweight because they OVERATE.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    They are overweight because they OVERATE CARBS

Fixed.

Sincerely,
    Gary.

Just kidding Niner :)
  • samantha1953
    samantha1953 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    To each their own...
  • traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    My diary is open and there are alot of days that I cannot get to 1200 calories and I eat pretty much anything I want but it is healthy foods of low cal foods. I used to be able to consume 3000 plus cals on a daily basis. Every so often I go over and Im fine with that but to say it cant be done without being satified is rediculous!! All the people that find it hard not to go over calories are doing it all wrong. I eat all day!!
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    It's easy to eat 3,000 cal's a day when you're eating crap and junk food. That's why we're here trying to lose weight. Not hard to understand that eating crap all the time means we're all 30-50-100 lbs overweight.
    Eat sensible HEALTHY food - and it's easy to be at 1200 cals a day.
    I eat sensibly, I'm not hungry, and at times I have to eat my extra frozen banana at night to get close to 1200.
    Check out my dairy and you'll see - I eat oatmeal in the morning, I have hot apple cider more for warmth mid-morning.
    I eat a Heatlhy choice lunch, some pop chips for salt/crunch and fruit in the afternoon.
    I usually have a chicken salad, or some meat w/ vege or pasta and vege.
    For desert I eat 1-2 frozen bananas.
    I don't eat candy/sweets, I don't eat bread (becuz I really just don't care for it). i cut out the white sugar and white flower.
    What's left? A lot of stuff that's just low cal. You can eat a head of broccoli and cauliflower and barely hit 500 cals.
    Some days I'm just so busy at work that I don't have time to eat big meals, but I try and eat decent stuff.
    Add a 1-hour workout, and suddenly I'm 600 calories short. I just can't find 600 calories to eat just for the sake of eating.
    No mystical science to this, no bafflement - it's just what it is. Not eating cheeseburgers, fries, chocolate, or fast food.

No cheeseburgers or chocolate?? That makes me sad.