Is it alright to weigh in daily?

Options
I know most places suggest weekly weigh ins, but I usually prefer to do it every morning. Obviously it goes by gradually, but it makes me worry much less if I happen to have gained since last time rather than if I only weigh once a week like I used to. I think it's because I can see my progress more often, so it's easier to remember it fluctuates a little, and it's not because I've been doing anything wrong.

Thoughts anyone?

Replies

• Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I also like to weigh in daily. It reminds me that watching what I eat is part of a healthy lifestyle.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I check my weight very often. Don't worry nothing bad will happen if you do :)
  • katyejean
    katyejean Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I check my weight throughout the day. Mostly for self-study. Like, I decided to weigh myself before a nap one day, and after my nap, I lost 2 pounds. Then in the morning, my weight was like .2 under the day before. It's really funny how the body works. I only count on Wednesdays and Sundays, though. I just like to step on the scale and have an idea of what my body is doing.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    If you can handle the normal daily fluctuations in weight and see the big picture (a gradual downward slope with a few small bumps in the road) than I say, go for it! Many people (women, especially) go crazy over the fluctuations...thinking it's possible that they somehow magically "gained 3 pounds of fat overnight" and become discouraged and demotivated with the daily fluctuations. Those people are best weighing in once a week. I used to be one of them. Now that I understand the science behindthe body and glycogen storage, calories that equal a pound of fat, effects of sodium and what not and how normal this all is.. I don't mind weighing every day and know that the overall trend is in the right direction.

Edit: excuse poor grammar, spelling, and/or run-on sentences... I'm on my phone because my laptop is broken, and it's hard to accurately type on the forums from here.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person, and your personality. For me, the number on the scale is more of a curiosity than anything, as I think body fat is a much better indicator of health than weight. However, weight can fluctuate up to 5 pounds in any given 24 hour period, so someone who is extremely fixated on the number on the scale may freak out jumping on the scale every day. Once a week or every couple weeks will give you the solid trend. I've been in maintenance since mid November, allowing my body time to regulate itself and get acclimated to the weight I've lost, before I start back up in January and lose the final 20 pounds I have to go. I'm at 210. Some days it's as high as 214, other days it's 208. But the average trend stays at 210, where it should be for maintenance.

So really it just depends on how much the number on the scale means to you.
  • brownbeauty91
    Options
    You can but just remember that weight can fluctuate quite a bit depending on things such as sodium.
  • ThinnerHill
    ThinnerHill Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I weigh in and track every single morning. I know that my weight fluctuates and its a slow loss progress to watch, but I can handle that. like I know if I have a heavy workout day with weights or extra cardio then I will most likely be up a bit for the next day or even 2 due to my muscles holding more water to repair themselves before seeing a good drop. I'm ok with that. I know what is going on.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    You can if you want, but you're gonna have to realize it's going to fluctuate. It's not always going to keep going down. It'll fly upward and downward, so you're probably not going to get the best idea of how your progress is coming along if you do that.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Yeah I forgot to add that you WILL see fluctuations from day to day that have nothing to do with having gained any fat.. Often there's water retention in response to a specific food or salt you ate, or after a workout, etc. One of the reasons I like to weigh often is so I can observe these fluctuations. I don't freak out over them.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I check daily, just to make sure nothing stupid is happening, and to help get me get to know my body more.
    As long as I am trending downward, I don't put too much faith in the dailies, just my weekly.
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Personally I think people should weigh in daily, and at the same time. Weight will fluctuate from day to day. That's natural. Weighing in weekly only gives you a one in seven chance to see if you've lost anything recently.
  • alleyrat
    Options
    I weigh every morning as soon as get up and after my morning tinkle (sorry tmi). My scales are a bit wierd and will fluctuate minute by minute so I do a 'best of three'. I probably need to get a better set of scales.

[OT ] Reminds me...my food weighing scales are out ..by exactly half. If I weigh something that is 200gms they show 100gms. This crazy error was discovered by my DH who makes model airplanes and wondered why his calculations were so out after weighing his engines etc. He has a set of those old fashioned weights - solid metal with the weight stamped on that and after exhaustive tests found that if we multiply anything it says by 2 it will be accurate! No wonder my recipes were coming out all wrong!
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. Yes, sometimes I don't like what I see but realize that as long as I adhere to my diet, any gain is temporary

I have recently began to track my weight on a spreadhseet and average my weight over the last ten days. That's the number I have begun to stick in MFP.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I don't always weigh myself everyday but usually multiple times a week and sometimes days in a row. I don't stress too much over it because I know quite well how much my weight fluctuates and I only track my weights once a week for some of my groups.

I find it just reminds me to eat healthy and workout.
  • imjessly
    imjessly Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh in everyday too. It fluctuates a little bit, but overall its going down. I think if i was eating bad and not exercising much i wouldn't want to stand on the scales everyday, but since i know i'm being good, its kind of fun to track the number going down, slowly but surely! :)
  • kattydid65
    kattydid65 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I try not to weigh myself daily but i can't help it. I want to know if my work is paying off. I guess I am a little impatient. But I do know that it starts my day off right if I see progress. I get FIRED UP! Want to work harder...
  • XtinaHayden
    Options
    I try to keep to a schedule for my weigh ins (which I do every Sunday). I try to only weigh in once a week, because other wise I become very frustrated when my weight fluctuates. Instead I see the actual progress by just weighing myself once a week and I feel motivated as a result.
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily too. Just keeps me focused. You just have to remember not to get stressed out it it goes up one day. I once had a weight gain 1 day of 2lbs. But I knew it wasnt "real" weight as I hadnt eaten an excess 7000 cals!!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    It's absolutely fine to weigh in daily unless you're the sort of person who totally freaks out if they see a fluctuation.

Then again, imagine how miserable that person would be for a whole week, if their weekly weigh-in happened to be on a day when their weight was higher for some reason!

Daily weigh-ins make far more sense to me, recorded on an excel spreadsheet so I can see a downwards trend. Whatever the daily readings, that trend is the important thing, not my weight on four particular calendar days per month.

Speaking of months, daily weighings also make it really obvious what is happening to my weight due to TOM, so I can account for that. Both when I put some on, but also when I lose a load. Because, due to daily weighing, I know my body, I know that I shouldn't be patting myself on the back either, when really my "loss" isn't anything of the sort.

EDITED TO ADD: If you're very overweight and therefore able to lose 1-2lb a week, the fluctuations you'll get at a weekly weigh-in aren't going to make much of a difference. As you get towards target weight and like me were losing less than 0.5lb a week, the fluctuations on weekly weighings make any sort of measurement irrelevant and random, and would give a very false picture of what was actually happening. Weighing daily, I can still see a downward trend, even at a very slow rate of loss.

I do wonder how many of these "help I'm not losing weight" threads are by people who have just been unlucky with the days they've chosen to weigh themselves. Sooner or later, they're going to come up against this.
  • lessac
    lessac Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself at least twice a day, mornings and evenings, for many years. I think it became an obsession but it let me learn about my metabolism and the nature of fluctuations.