Almost zero cal. noodles!

Options
I just wanted to share something really yummy! They are called "Shiritake" or Yam noodles. They have almost no calories and are a lot like cellophane noodles often used in sukyaki. They are made from yam root, and are pretty much non-nutritive.
I buy them at my local japanese Foods market, but just recently saw them at Whole Foods.
They are in the refrigerator section with the tofu, and come in a pouch with liquid in it.
I drop them in to chicken broth with all sorts of other veggies, and eat a huge bowl of vegetable soup with noodles. They are also good with marinara sauce, or with fish.

Rhonda

Replies

• rhondababy
    Options
    I just wanted to share something really yummy! They are called "Shiritake" or Yam noodles. They have almost no calories and are a lot like cellophane noodles often used in sukyaki. They are made from yam root, and are pretty much non-nutritive.
    I buy them at my local japanese Foods market, but just recently saw them at Whole Foods.
    They are in the refrigerator section with the tofu, and come in a pouch with liquid in it.
    I drop them in to chicken broth with all sorts of other veggies, and eat a huge bowl of vegetable soup with noodles. They are also good with marinara sauce, or with fish.

Rhonda
  • FUZZBUZZ4
    FUZZBUZZ4 Posts: 334
    Options
    I seriously seriously OWE YOU BIG TIME!!!!!!! i used them after i saw ur post with cod and veggies in a stir fry dish and they tasted lovely!! i was worried they would have no taste whatsoever but i was wrong!!! 1 serving of the meal of nice stir fry veggies and 2 fillets of cod and my new favorite food (THE NOODLES) was only like 200 calories!!!

THANK YOU so much for ur post!! (keep them comin!!)
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    very interesting...I need to a keep a lookout for these.
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    :laugh: These are the best I keep anywhere from 10 to 20 packages on hand because it takes a while to get to the whole foods store by me. i usually eat them once a day. The ones in whole foods have some tofu in them too that is why they are 40 calories a bag. They are so easy to prepare, just rinse and usually i just microwave them with spaghetti sauce and add steamed veggies and skinless roasted chicken. you can prepare them with any sauce that you would usually put on noodles though But there is a lot of fiber in them that when eaten expands to make you feel fuller, so don't serve these to kids Even though they are delicious, My fiance:heart: won't touch them either because of the way look and smell when they are packaged. He would never even try something that has the name tofu in it anyway. Good for me b/c then my packages last me longer. I always get the strangest looks when checking out at the register lol the last woman said boy! you must love sauerkraut! I just laughed
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    How many grams of carbs in a serving? Just curious
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    In each bag there are 2 servings 4oz each Per serving there is 20 calories and *3g carbs* and the only three ingredients on the bag are tofu, yam flour and calcium hydroxide Hope that helps
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    that does help. I am going to be on the lookout for some of these noodles.
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I really REALLY need to keep my eyes open for these.

In the past I have tried those tofu packages (the ones that imitate ground beef) and put that in any dish that i would normally have used the ground beef in.