Questions for Paleo/Primal people

Options
Hello! I am researching Paleo/Primal ways of eating and had a few questions for experienced folks doing this here. First, let me say my reasons for this. I have been doing the MFP counting calories process since Feb. 2011 and have lost 26 lbs. I have since hit a major plateau, and have been losing and regaining the same .5 lbs for at least the past month now. In general, I think I eat a decent diet, with fewer carbs and more emphasis on protein as much as I can. My interest in a change-up is multiple:
1) while I have lost weight, I have much more body fat to lose, so I am really more interested in changing body composition rather than weight loss at this point. While I would love to lose 5 more pounds, I am way more motivated to lose lots more body fat (I am currently at about 34%, would like to be below 30%, so not radical just healthy!!) I believe from all I have read that in losing body fat one has to concentrate much more on the macros and types of food, not just pure calories. In addition, I know I have to do more strength training, which I am working on.
2) I am very interested in a diet that will reduce inflammation. I have been strugging with all sorts of aches and pains, and recently discovered that I have a fair amount of osteoarthritis going on. I am not too old (only 51 for goodness sake!) so I want to try to "nip this in the bud" if at all possible. I have heard that getting glutens and other inflammatory type foods out of the diet could help that, along with increasing Omega 3's.

So here are my basic questions. One is, what are some examples of what Paleo/Primal people set the macro percentages on MFP to reflect higher fat and protein, lower carb amounts? Second, what is a good calorie goal to set for this? I recognize that I will probably need to bump up the daily calories, but still want to keep it managed, as I think it could be very easy for me to get "carried away" and gain weight if I am not careful and continue to watch portion sizes, etc. I currently have my daily goal set to 1385 cals. and always eat my exercise calories back. I work out 5 to 6 times a week, and on those days average about 1600 cals.

Any and all recommendations are welcomed--and Paleo/Primal friends are very welcomed too!!! Thanks!!

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I'm Primal, and set my fat to 60%, protein to 30%, and carbs to 10% (keep in mind, however, I'm T2 diabetic, so I try to keep carbs very low for that purpose).

at the end of the day, you really can't go wrong following a lifestyle rich in whole, natural foods.

(edited cuz I can't do math, lol. Had my protein set "at 40%")
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    This is the first hearing of it
    http://www.realfooduniversity.com/paleoprimal-eating-plan-improves-health/

After reading this, I am very positive. I'd love to know if anybody here has obtained good results.
  • greyhoundluv
    Options
    This is the first hearing of it
    http://www.realfooduniversity.com/paleoprimal-eating-plan-improves-health/

After reading this, I am very positive. I'd love to know if anybody here has obtained good results.

Oh, thank you for this source!! I am familiar with the Weston Price traditional foods way of eating too, and was thinking about combining it with Paleo also, as this author says he does. Interesting.
    and thanks to DrBorkBork for sharing your numbers---the other reason I am thinking about this is that I definitely have some insulin resistance going on, so while not T2 diabetic, somewhere on the continuum is still not great.
  • autumnridge
    autumnridge Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I find that exercise is a huge factor in controlling my osteoarthritic pain. I am on the shady side of 70. A healthy diet also makes a difference. We have to have a balance amount of protein, carbohydrates (healthy), calcium, and fats to stay healthy and still lose weight. Everything should be in moderation, even the exercise! Good luck on the changes you are making towards a more healthy lifestyle. I guess we all receive different recommendations for T2 diabetes. I am told to eat lots of healthy fruits and vegetables such as carrots, broccoli, green beans, apples, melon, all the dark green and yellows. Also, dried beans are very good as healthy carbs because they turn to sugar more slowly in the digestive process. Fats should be at a minimum, so I use fat free sour cream if I want some on a baked potato and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray on toast or bagel thins. Use whole grain breads and cereals and avoid anything with white flour as these are also good carbs. Protein should be about 1/3 or less. Drink plenty of fluids, but not the sugary kind. I hope this helps. :smile:
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    bumping!!!!
  • greyhoundluv
    Options
    bumping!
  • mjslazak
    mjslazak Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm still relatively new to the Primal/Paleo style of eating, but must say that it's helped me to change my body composition over these few months: I've lost more than 5 # of fat and gained several pounds of muscle, so even though my total weight loss isn't that great right now, I'm pleased with the body comp changes.

I currently have my levels set at 15% carb, 35% protein and 50% fat, but have been tweaking the fat/protein levels over the weeks. For me, this works out to about 120 g protein, 50 g carb and 75 g fat (meaning good fats -- fish/nuts, etc.). Definitely takes a bit of tweaking to find the right levels, I think. We're all so different.

Check out marksdailyapple.com for some great support and resources on the topic. I have his book, The Primal Blueprint, and related cookbook, which has lots of tasty ideas!

Good luck!
  • hn33014417
    Options
    Congratz u loss 4lbs:bigsmile:
    lol!!!!!!!!!!!!:laugh:
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    It sounds like it would be really healthy, but I don't know if I would ever want to completely give up grains and beans. But after reading about it, I have cut my grain intake way down from what it used to be, and try to eat whole grain products instead of products made from white flour..

If you are not used to eating in this way, you might want to ease into it so your body can get used to the change gradually.
  • auctoritas
    Options
    I find that exercise is a huge factor in controlling my osteoarthritic pain. I am on the shady side of 70. A healthy diet also makes a difference. We have to have a balance amount of protein, carbohydrates (healthy), calcium, and fats to stay healthy and still lose weight. Everything should be in moderation, even the exercise! Good luck on the changes you are making towards a more healthy lifestyle. I guess we all receive different recommendations for T2 diabetes. I am told to eat lots of healthy fruits and vegetables such as carrots, broccoli, green beans, apples, melon, all the dark green and yellows. Also, dried beans are very good as healthy carbs because they turn to sugar more slowly in the digestive process. Fats should be at a minimum, so I use fat free sour cream if I want some on a baked potato and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray on toast or bagel thins. Use whole grain breads and cereals and avoid anything with white flour as these are also good carbs. Protein should be about 1/3 or less. Drink plenty of fluids, but not the sugary kind. I hope this helps. :smile:

I can't believe it's not butter and fat free sour cream are not at all primal/paleo friendly. The fake butter replaces good animal fats with partially hydrogenated oils (gross) and the fat free sour cream replaces them with more sugar in the form of lactose! Real butter is the way to go. I'm not sure about sour cream on paleo, but if it is allowed, I'd imagine it'd be full fat kind.
    It sounds like it would be really healthy, but I don't know if I would ever want to completely give up grains and beans. But after reading about it, I have cut my grain intake way down from what it used to be, and try to eat whole grain products instead of products made from white flour..

If you are not used to eating in this way, you might want to ease into it so your body can get used to the change gradually.

I'm doing very low carb right now, and plan on transitioning to a paleo/keto bastardization when I hit maintenance. I went into it cold turkey, and I think that was the best way. It really depends on the person. If you need to get rid of all temptation, do it. Clean out your pantry. You won't feel well for a few days while your body adjusts, but it's way easier when that passes.
  • greyhoundluv
    Options
    Yes, I am planning on easing into it. I think that the hardest thing for me to figure out is what to eat for small snacks between meals. Right now, that is when I have fat free greek yogurt and hummus on flatbread crackers, all of which is no-go on Paleo (hey, that really rhymed :laugh: ). I am currently reading Primal Blueprint, and have heard that this is a bit more of a flexible version, allowing some dairy and sprouted grains occasionally, which I think may be more reasonable for me. I know it is going to be tough to go full-fat on some things (psychologically, I mean--I think my body is going to love it!) so I really will need to ease into it in order not to backfire or give up.
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options

Whoever this is doesn't really know about Paleo lifestyle! I have mine set at 35/35/35 simply because I eat a lot of fruit so I eat about 130 carbs/day. It doesn't slow my weight loss because I still count calories. Fats should be relatively high (not minimum) and so should protein. Shoot for at least 100g of protein a day, that keeps me satisfied. I found I have sugar cravings if I eat less than 80g of protein a day.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I have been eating paleo since March because I have celiac disease and pretty much have to be paleo to feel well. I have recently gone primal ( meaning I added some dairy back) when I discovered that raw dairy doesn't make me ill like store bought does.. YAY!! as far as changes/weight loss since this eating style.. I've lost about 25 lbs.. 18 right away and the rest slowly came off over several months it's been very slow going on the weight loss front :sad: . On the postive side= my digestive issues are gone, I have more energy, sleep better, less moodiness and pms, no more migraines, headaches and much fewer sinus issues, no more joint pain and brain fog.. I try to keep my carbs below 50 grams a day.. other wise I don't really pay attention to calories or how much protein /fats I eat.. I just eat within the boundries of what I can safely eat and not get sick.. meats,eggs, veggies, fruit, nuts, good fats, and raw butter and cream.
  • whatevany
    whatevany Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I've been following Primal since March and lost 67 of my pounds. What I like is that I am not hungry all the time, which I was just counting calories. I feel that this is a easy, healthy way to eat.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am planning on easing into it. I think that the hardest thing for me to figure out is what to eat for small snacks between meals. Right now, that is when I have fat free greek yogurt and hummus on flatbread crackers, all of which is no-go on Paleo (hey, that really rhymed :laugh: ). I am currently reading Primal Blueprint, and have heard that this is a bit more of a flexible version, allowing some dairy and sprouted grains occasionally, which I think may be more reasonable for me. I know it is going to be tough to go full-fat on some things (psychologically, I mean--I think my body is going to love it!) so I really will need to ease into it in order not to backfire or give up.

you shouldn't need snacks if you're eating paleo/primal. 3 square meals a day will do ya!