What do you think this picture is? Sorta shocking if true.

Options

Replies

• XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Really really think its a city scene too. Zara x
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say thanks for the respectful input guys. One thing I do take from this thread is the volume of different ways people can look at things without having all the info. And by this I mean I don't live in Iraq so I couldn't say why they chose that specific picture. But it is good to ponder these things occasionally as to all the things that do slip right under our noses without our knowledge.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    The first thing I noticed was "1 calorie" because it really just looks like a city to me...
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    The first city I thought of when I saw the Pepsi can was Dubai, and it looks like a vague Dubai city scape. Nothing to worry about. Plus, I just can't picture Pepsi putting that on their cans in a wink and nod to Islamic terrorists. I'm pretty sure a large majority of Muslims would be just as offended by it as we would be.

And while Coke > Pepsi, I think it's safe to keep buying Pepsi products.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    It looks like a pepsi with a picture of a city.

Come on. Everyone is so damn sensitive to EVERYTHING now.
    What?
    Are we just looking for a reason to snivel about nothing?

I don't drink that goop, because it's loaded down with chemicals and is unhealthy.
    Soda is a slow poison.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You know, every couple of years something like this comes up. At risk of sounding insensitive to those who lost loved ones, we, Americans, need to stop being so sensitive. The image only bears a resemblance and its not intentional. Should we forever ban marketers from using any image that resembles buildings and airplanes?

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/photos/pepsican.asp
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    The first city I thought of when I saw the Pepsi can was Dubai, and it looks like a vague Dubai city scape. Nothing to worry about. Plus, I just can't picture Pepsi putting that on their cans in a wink and nod to Islamic terrorists. I'm pretty sure a large majority of Muslims would be just as offended by it as we would be.

And while Coke > Pepsi, I think it's safe to keep buying Pepsi products.

It's interesting that you say that because according to the Snopes article in the link I provided in my post, these cans WERE made in Dubai.
  • DoingItNow2012
    DoingItNow2012 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I think when it comes down to it he's upset because it was found on a base in Iraq which is where the attack stemmed from. It's interesting that they chose to put that design on the can in that specific area.

The attacks didn't stem from Iraq, although it will be forever historically linked. However, would be extremely insensitive if it was intentional. But I imagine Pepsi would have pulled it way before now if a subsidiary did it intentionally. Who knows, maybe one of the designers secretly meant the familiarity . Our point of view and experience are the lense through which we see the world. What's important is that many carry a deep emotional scar based on the level of trauma they experienced, and even seemingly innocuous things to others can be a trigger. When we come across these triggers it is important to address them in a healthy way. That is in our control for sure.
  • fit4mom
    Options
    You know, every couple of years something like this comes up. At risk of sounding insensitive to those who lost loved ones, we, Americans, need to stop being so sensitive. The image only bears a resemblance and its not intentional. Should we forever ban marketers from using any image that resembles buildings and airplanes?

Occasionally I don't think were sensitive enough, When it comes down to it you have lots of things that happen everyday and nobody even winks at them. I can understand why someone who is fighting for our country amidst gun fire and explosions would be offended and this whole thread stems from one mans opinion fighting for our country in a specific country. I can empathize with his emotions because of what he is sacrificing: family, time, life, friends, his own way of life, and all for our country. Who knows the next time, or even if, he'll see his family again. I do understand where your coming from but I still think we should value the emotions of someone that is giving of themselves for their country.
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options

Occasionally I don't think were sensitive enough, When it comes down to it you have lots of things that happen everyday and nobody even winks at them. I can understand why someone who is fighting for our country amidst gun fire and explosions would be offended and this whole thread stems from one mans opinion fighting for our country in a specific country. I can empathize with his emotions because of what he is sacrificing: family, time, life, friends, his own way of life, and all for our country. Who knows the next time, or even if, he'll see his family again. I do understand where your coming from but I still think we should value the emotions of someone that is giving of themselves for their country.

Seeing it from the UK point of view, you know 77? We will not let them bring us down to our knees and stop the way we live. We will not live in fear - because, if we allow ourselves to be paranoid and intimidated, freaked out and anxious, then they have won.... Therefore I think we can be too sensitive.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

I never said that I didn't value his emotions, but as you pointed out, he IS emotionally biased. Therefore, I don't see getting up in arms over this. Did you read the Snopes article at all? As others have stated, marketers use different images in different countries. Pepsi Arabia uses different tactics to market than the headquarters Pepsi here in the United States. Pepsi Arabia is in Dubai, and since a previous poster recognized this city as Dubai, then it is obvious that the picture is a picture of Dubai and not New York. If you feel so deeply for this particular soldier who must look at Pepsi cans that offend his delicate sensibilities, then maybe you should just send him a couple of twelve-packs of American made Pepsi instead of spreading rumors on the internet.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I think when it comes down to it he's upset because it was found on a base in Iraq which is where the attack stemmed from. It's interesting that they chose to put that design on the can in that specific area.

Who is "he"? Is your friend the one who wrote that intro? The snopes article posts the same thing. I am always leary of those types of copy and paste posts and email forwards. Many of them are written specifically to inflame people (like the Islamic postage stamp one). They play on fears and biases and often use misinformation. If it was a post written by your friend, I would take it more seriously, but the fact that it has appeared on snopes word for word makes me question who actually wrote it.

I don't see the connection, even after knowing what people believe image is.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Was just about to post that. :laugh:
  • fit4mom
    Options
    It's an actual person on facebook that had a friend come accross the can.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It's an actual person on facebook that had a friend come accross the can.

So a friend of a friend?
  • cheekyleonie
    cheekyleonie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Seriously...!!!
  • fit4mom
    Options
    It had been posted like Thursday
  • MariaAlexandra
    MariaAlexandra Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It looks like a pepsi with a picture of a city.

Come on. Everyone is so damn sensitive to EVERYTHING now.

you weren't in new york city that day.

...You were in NY when that happened? I lived in NY and I witnessed the attack...I was 10 years old...Attended a funeral because someone from my family died in that crash...She left a little girl behind. I really hate reading the comments saying to stop being so sensitive about it. We are not the same people. We handle things differently. Some people are more emotional than others. We are all different...we weren't raised the same way. It's being ignorant saying to people to stop being sensitive just because you feel that way. That's just MY opinion about this.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I don't think it looks like NYC (pre-9/11), but I am shocked that no Pepsi bigwig figured out that many Americans would see that beloved skyline when looking at those buildings imaged that way.

I don't see this offensively, but I look at it and IMMEDIATELY can see that, duh, many people will see it. So while I don't think Pepsi was intentionally depicting anything, I do think they were short-sighted.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Enough people have posted the link to Snopes so I'm not going to repost it.

It's just people seeing what they want to see. It is a picture of a city, it looks nothing like the Twin Towers, there is a line on the can heading upwards towards the buildings.

And as somebody else said; the Snopes article quotes the exact same text as was posted on Facebook.

Here's a larger version of the picture (from the Snopes website). Now look close at the larger picture.
    pepsican.jpg