Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Sleep and weight loss

Hi MFP!! I am a college student, and have had a considerable lack of sleep lately. I weigh myself every morning, and I've been noticing that when I step on the scale after a night of very little sleep, my weight has hardly changed, yet when I do sleep for at least eight hours, there is a small drop. I know about retaining water/sodium and other reasons for daily fluctuations, but SLEEP? I am not changing anything from one day to the next other than this.

Has anyone else experienced the same issue or know why this might be??

Thanks!

Replies

• christibear
    christibear Posts: 93 Member
    Yes, I have noticed it too, sleep is very important for the body to function properly in general but especially for weight loss, I have read many things that say that getting to little or too much sleep is linked to obesity. Its just always a good idea to try and get enough sleep 7-8 hours.

Here is just one article that talks about why sleep affects weight loss. http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/lose-weight-while-sleeping
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Believe it or not but on more than one occasion I have weighed myself before and after a 2-3 hour nap and dropped a pound. I don't know what goes on while we sleep but I like it!! :) Maybe something hormonal?
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    double post
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Sleep is an important necessity in our overall fitness scheme.
    Lack of it messes everything up, including metabolism which leads to fat loss.

Volumes have been written on this very subject.