How strictly do you eat all your cals?

Options
Just wondering how strict everyone is with their calorie consumption?

I've got an allowance of 1700 (I'm breastfeeding so have an extra 500 on top of my 1200 basic) and have
occasionally found it hard to eat all my calories... So I'm wondering if anyone out there has a certain amount they
will not let themselves go under by as a rule...

e.g. Do I religiously need to eat every single calorie I've earnt from
exercise or would, say, an extra 50/100 make any difference if I didn't eat them?

Penny for them? :smile:

Replies

• SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I try to get as close as possible without going over more than 50-100. I try not to go under more than 25-50.
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    It's very different because I'm not breastfeeding, so all my calories go to my gluttonous self.

I personally eat only a quarter of my exercise calories in my diet. And most days I'm under by about 100-400 calories depending.
    This is because I think its pointless to eat back all of the calories I've burnt off, so I limit it.

My rule of thumb is this: If I'm hungry, I eat a little and wait for my body to register the food (20 minutes). If I'm still hungry, I repeat process. Normally I'd eat until I'm full and I'll always be under my caloric needs for the day. Just be honest - are you eating because you're hungry or just eating to eat.
  • niknak2308
    niknak2308 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Interesting to hear that.... anyone else? :smile:
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    If I was breastfeeding I'd eat them all back.
  • skateboardstef
    skateboardstef Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I listen to my body, if I'm not hungry, I don't force myself to eat. Sometimes I'm starving on days I work out and sometimes I'm not.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    You are breastfeeding right? Then you need to consume all of your calories to maintain breastmilk nutrition for the baby. Usually over or under 100 calories is my rule of thumb.
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I try not to be over/under by more than 100. I have my calories set at just slightly below maintenance (like 100 below, I think) and let my exercise create any extra deficit I do this because my activity level varies so much from day to day and I was finding it really irritating to be eating at a different calorie level each day, my body likes the same # of calories no matter what it seems.

On days when I do a WHOLE LOT of exercise, I eat a little more (maybe 200 - 300 over my goal). There are of course days when I don't manage to eat all of my calories, but they only happen once a month if that so I don't worry too much. Being regularly under (once a week or more) I would see as a problem though.
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Double post
  • niknak2308
    niknak2308 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies! So it would seem that as near to goal as possible is best then... especially with feeding little still...
    I shall endeavour to maintain my cals within 100 either side and see how that impacts me... :flowerforyou:
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    If I don't exercise I will not allow myself to go under 1500 cals/day, with my regular exercise I don't usually go under 2400 cals/day, I really don't need to force myself to eat that much either.
    I am not trying to lose weight, so I try to eat all my exercise calories, but sometimes its just too much.