i dont know what to do with my life

Options

Replies

• Lisone
    Lisone Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Exotic dance. Good money, and you get to meet all kinds of interesting people.

CREEPER!!
  • KristenAnn711
    Options
    Sorry nurses, I work with them all day and I know that is not what I want to do. At least not in a hospital. But really I'm not cut out for nursing, can't handle all the icky things. I like being in the hospital, but I don't want to be directly responsible for someone's life.
  • KristenAnn711
    Options
    You're 22, have a job, and your whole life ahead of you. I suspect you have no idea how exiting that sounds, but if I may suggest a little thought experiment..
    If you won the lottery tomorrow, and were set for life..what would you do?
    Once you figure that out, you will have discovered your passion.
    Follow that.

If I won the lottery, first I'd pay all my debt for myself, bf, and family. Then I would travel and live in different countries for random periods of time, because I'd have the $$ to fly home anytime I wanted.
  • KristenAnn711
    Options
    I just change my mind everyday. One day I want to be a zoologist, then a surgical tech, then a psychologist
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    take a career aptitude test. See where your intrests lead you .
    http://www.careerpath.com/career-tests/
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I wouldn't worry about what you'll do with your whole life - just think about the next five years or so. Many people change careers several times over their lives or their jobs morph into other similar things in different fields etc. Everything you learn and do will be giving you transferable skills.

So... see if you can get 'What color is my parachute' out from the library (or buy it) and work though it. Also here are some more links to help work out what you'd like to do http://www.jobhuntersbible.com/counseling/

I'm 35 and I still haven't found what I'd like to do with my life. Not sure if I ever will... I have found that some unexpected things are very important to enjoying and being fulfilled in a job i.e.:

* The people you're working with, especially your boss. Give me good people and I could enjoy pretty much any job. Bad people ruin the best job.

* The style of the job i.e. do you enjoy being outside/ inside? Routine/ variety?People contact or working alone? Team work/ independence? Careful planning or just getting things done?

Good luck!

PS - check out veeeery carefully whether you really need to spend tens of thousands of dollars on study or whether you can just work your way into a job. Tertiary institutions love to have students paying them money but the qualifications aren't always that useful in the real world or there may be faaar too much competition for jobs from other graduates.
  • Elixandra
    Elixandra Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    How about a career in the military? Free clothing, good fitness program, see the world, nice living quarters...:flowerforyou:

If your not married or have kids this is a good one.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I will be 39 on December 31st and I still don't know what I want to go to school for. School is overrated. I have done a host of things in my 39 years and all of it has been without school....
  • Smelerz
    Smelerz Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I agree why not!
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    The first two years of college is usually general education -- everyone has to fulfill the same requirements independent of whether they have a major or are undeclared. Many people enter college "undeclared" and later decide a major. I suggest enrolling and then speaking with career counselors along the way. If GE does not lead you where you want to go, most programs have introductory classes for people to see if they would be interested in pursuing those programs.

good luck! :)

ps: I want to add, make sure you go to a real college (ex. a state school), where SAT scores and applications are necessary. The kind of schools you see advertised on television are basically scams ^^
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options
    There are so many choices out there. Try finding a place where you can take an aptitude test. That might help narrow down the kinds of jobs you'd be best at.
  • Queen_Christine
    Queen_Christine Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Anything in healthcare should get you thru the next 20 years (the baby boomers are going to need good, caring healthcare workers).

Here's a better question for you to ask yourself.... What kind of person do you want to be? Don't wait till you're in a morally compromising position to decide that because at that time the easier choice will probably be the wrong choice.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Healthcare is not for everyone. Do what interests you. I have been doing something that doesn't interest me in the least for 15 years. It's a paycheck, that's it - I wish it was more.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Child please. You are 22 with your whole life ahead of you. Wait it out a little while and I promise you will figure it out. Besides Im an RN like dimplechick and this job is VERY dfficult. You must love it to do it right.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    You're 22, have a job, and your whole life ahead of you. I suspect you have no idea how exiting that sounds, but if I may suggest a little thought experiment..
    If you won the lottery tomorrow, and were set for life..what would you do?
    Once you figure that out, you will have discovered your passion.
    Follow that.

If I won the lottery, first I'd pay all my debt for myself, bf, and family. Then I would travel and live in different countries for random periods of time, because I'd have the $$ to fly home anytime I wanted.

So...you want a job that allows you to travel-you've isolated one of your passions.
    Now think about what excites you to DO when you get there!
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    There's gotta be something you love to do. A hobby of some kind? Almost any hobby can be made into some kind of career. Almost, anyway. Depends on what it is.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Ask your mom. Moms know everything.

So true!!! LOL Just make sure it's something you love, something you are passionate about, something you will be proud of!
  • Football_N_Guns
    Football_N_Guns Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Join the military.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    take a career aptitude test. See where your intrests lead you .
    http://www.careerpath.com/career-tests/

Insightful Test!
    I would have made a great industrial salesman...lol
  • Teenamarie_36
    Options
    I work as a respiratory therapist in a small town. The pay is pretty good for the area. It took two years of school, classes weren't too tough but weren't a walk in the park either.

I love helping people and to me there is no better feeling than pumping the heart and breathing for a person who can't on their own and see them come back several months later and they say thank you.

Take a few different classes and see what sparks your interest. That's what I did. After I graduated high school in 1989, I wanted to be a police officer..who'd have known.