losing pounds too quick?

Is there a problem with losing pounds too quick? (i know there is, just needed an opener). i'm 5'5, current weight is 158-160, calorie intake 1350-1500.
I started mfp in 7/12/12 and i have lost 7 pounds already. i'm worried because i am losing pounds too fast for someone that is barely overweight.

If i binge i worry that i'm going to gain all the pounds i lost.

now my real question is this: should i worry about gaining the weight if i would only binge once a week?

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    What is your calorie net? Calorie intake minus calories burned. If that is still above 1200 then I would say you've lost water weight. That shouldn't continue every week.
  • mattquit
    mattquit Posts: 175
    What is your calorie net? Calorie intake minus calories burned. If that is still above 1200 then I would say you've lost water weight. That shouldn't continue every week.

i upped my water intake though. i only got fat because i didn't drink water and keep eating so i never got full. now i drink 2-6 cups of water for every meal.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member

i upped my water intake though. i only got fat because i didn't drink water and keep eating so i never got full. now i drink 2-6 cups of water for every meal.

6 cups of water at a meal? :noway:

Drinking more water helps you shed water weight. But if you're drinking 6 cups at a meal, that's probably too much. 8 cups per day is sufficient.

It's common to lose quickly in the first couple of weeks and then slow down. If you're still losing rapidly after your third week, eat more.
  • mattquit
    mattquit Posts: 175

6 cups of water at a meal? :noway:

Drinking more water helps you shed water weight. But if you're drinking 6 cups at a meal, that's probably too much. 8 cups per day is sufficient.

It's common to lose quickly in the first couple of weeks and then slow down. If you're still losing rapidly after your third week, eat more.

i said 2-6 but yea sometimes 6. i drink 2 before meal. ok thank you for the help. i'm just worried i don't want to gain all that pounds again
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    You started in July?
    Did you mean 12/7?

Anyway, try to lose no more than 1 lb per week. Fast weight loss cannibalizes muscle.
    The easy solution is to add 500 calories per day to your menu.

Try this for a week, then let's see.
  • You started in July?
    Did you mean 12/7?

Anyway, try to lose no more than 1 lb per week. Fast weight loss cannibalizes muscle.
    The easy solution is to add 500 calories per day to your menu.

Try this for a week, then let's see.

No, he probably means 7/12 i.e. 7th December. I write dates day/month and I'm from the UK. It depends where you're from how you write it.

I would say that a good chunk of what you lost was food waste and excess water. I just started this week and although I'm not 100% sure, I think I've lost 6.5lbs which is obviously not all fat. Just make sure that your net calories are no more than 500 less than your maintenance calories and you should be fine.