Winter Motivation: Warm up and lose weight

Options
Rawinia Gregory

If you're looking for an excuse to miss an exercise session or sneak an extra serving of dessert, winter can provide plenty of opportunities - "It's too cold", "I can't walk in the snow", "No one will see those extra few pounds under my sweaters anyway!"

This winter, take control of your lifestyle and don't let the cold weather hamper your weight loss.

Just because you can't take your usual 30-minute walk due to snow or rain, don't give up on exercise altogether. There are plenty of options for "weather-proof" exercise.

If you want to keep out of the weather altogether, try an indoor option, such as:

Gym workout
Aerobics class
Home gym equipment, e.g. treadmill, exercise bike, rowing machine, weights
Pilates or yoga class
Dancing - try ballet, salsa, swing, hip hop, belly dancing, or any other dance style that you enjoy
Living room routine - design your own exercise routine, using squats, lunges, sit ups, bicep curls, tricep dips, and so on
Exercise DVD
Exercise ball workout
Water aerobics or swimming in an indoor pool

Winter is also a great time to try something new - especially if you want some distraction from the awful weather! And who knows, you might find a new favorite form of exercise that you can enjoy, rain or shine. For added incentive, make plans to try out your new exercise with a friend - not wanting to let them down will give you extra motivation.

If you prefer to exercise outdoors, what about breaking your routine up into a series of small blocks that you can do during breaks in the weather? And if the rain just won't ease up - pull on your jacket, hat and gloves and just go for it. The worst that can happen is that you get wet!

Replies

• Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Rawinia Gregory

If you're looking for an excuse to miss an exercise session or sneak an extra serving of dessert, winter can provide plenty of opportunities - "It's too cold", "I can't walk in the snow", "No one will see those extra few pounds under my sweaters anyway!"

This winter, take control of your lifestyle and don't let the cold weather hamper your weight loss.

Just because you can't take your usual 30-minute walk due to snow or rain, don't give up on exercise altogether. There are plenty of options for "weather-proof" exercise.

If you want to keep out of the weather altogether, try an indoor option, such as:

Gym workout
    Aerobics class
    Home gym equipment, e.g. treadmill, exercise bike, rowing machine, weights
    Pilates or yoga class
    Dancing - try ballet, salsa, swing, hip hop, belly dancing, or any other dance style that you enjoy
    Living room routine - design your own exercise routine, using squats, lunges, sit ups, bicep curls, tricep dips, and so on
    Exercise DVD
    Exercise ball workout
    Water aerobics or swimming in an indoor pool

Winter is also a great time to try something new - especially if you want some distraction from the awful weather! And who knows, you might find a new favorite form of exercise that you can enjoy, rain or shine. For added incentive, make plans to try out your new exercise with a friend - not wanting to let them down will give you extra motivation.

If you prefer to exercise outdoors, what about breaking your routine up into a series of small blocks that you can do during breaks in the weather? And if the rain just won't ease up - pull on your jacket, hat and gloves and just go for it. The worst that can happen is that you get wet!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    uuhhhhh 75 degrees here...kind of warm in this short sleeve shirt...
    but I love these FC posts
    thanks for the info....I am sure there is something in there I can use:smile:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Now, really ah Dave? No reason to boast about your Balmy weather in Cali:angry::tongue: :laugh: is there?

you're welcome:wink: just drink some water and tomorrow's a new day!:flowerforyou:
    FC:heart:
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Now, really ah Dave? No reason to boast about your Balmy weather in Cali:angry::tongue: :laugh: is there?

you're welcome:wink: just drink some water and tomorrow's a new day!:flowerforyou:

Oh thank you so much FC...you always remind me to keep it simple. For instance, the water. Water is our friend.:flowerforyou: :love: :embarassed: :laugh: :wink: :tongue: :smooched: :smooched:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

Oh thank you so much FC...you always remind me to keep it simple. For instance, the water. Water is our friend.:flowerforyou: :love: :embarassed: :laugh: :wink: :tongue: :smooched: :smooched:
    Yes it is Dave, water might help you give up all the soda when you're ready! I've actually never realized 2-24 packs of Dew could be drank in one day!:noway: :blushing: :ohwell:

Good Luck with that:flowerforyou:
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

Yes it is Dave, water might help you give up all the soda when you're ready! I've actually never realized 2-24 packs of Dew could be drank in one day!:noway: :blushing: :ohwell:

baby steps my good friend, baby steps:yawn:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

baby steps my good friend, baby steps:yawn:
    :drinker: :yawn:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    :drinker: