Fat and Protein?

Options
I'm happy that I've been under my calorie goal for the past couple of days (fell off the wagon), but I've gone over my daily goals for protein consumption and fat. Does anyone know if this affects weight loss? Will my weight stay the same (or will I gain) despite being under my calorie goal?

Replies

• auctoritas
    Options
    No. In general, calorie deficit = wight loss. It's better to be lower on carbs and higher in fat, imo. Fat keeps you fuller for longer than carbs do, and can help keep you from overeating since you aren't quite as ravenous at your next meal.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    No. In general, calorie deficit = wight loss. It's better to be lower on carbs and higher in fat, imo. Fat keeps you fuller for longer than carbs do, and can help keep you from overeating since you aren't quite as ravenous at your next meal.

yup.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I used to always be over on protein because the numbers from MFP tend to be on the low side. I changed my goals manually to be a bit more realistic for me :) Good luck! Stay on the wagon!!!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options

yup.

I third this! Fat is needed for almost every bodily function, the brain especially. The combo of fat & protein keeps you full and satisfied. You can change your macronutrients anyway you like, to lose weight your overall intake should be lower that what you burn.

I"m a low carb/paleo/primal eater - you can change your goals manually to suit your eating philosphy. Eating sufficient protein will help insure that you don't lose muscle as you lose weight. Best of luck!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Hard to say without seeing your diary, but chances are VERY good that if you are following the MFP defaults, your Protein and Fat numbers are set too low and your Carbs too high. MFP's defaults are pretty bad.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Depending on your metabolism, eating fewer carbs and more protein may actually increase your weight loss. My doctor tested me and recommended that I reset my ratios to 5% carbs, 30% fat, 65% protein. For the past 9 months, I've eaten between 250-300 g protein per day. So unless you have some preexisting kidney or liver problems, eating more fat & protein (even a LOT more) won't hurt you a bit.
  • auctoritas
    Options
    Depending on your metabolism, eating fewer carbs and more protein may actually increase your weight loss. My doctor tested me and recommended that I reset my ratios to 5% carbs, 30% fat, 65% protein. For the past 9 months, I've eaten between 250-300 g protein per day. So unless you have some preexisting kidney or liver problems, eating more fat & protein (even a LOT more) won't hurt you a bit.

Holy hell that is an absurd amount of protein (unless you are a weight lifter or really tall or something.) My protein and fat percentages are reversed. XD
  • sphillips72
    Options
    i enjoy copious healthy fats and protein, and because i use honey to sweeten my tea, sugar, also! If you're consuming fewer calories from nutritious food sources, you will LOSE weight! Trust me!