any advise on what to eat to make you feel full???

Options
i need help on finding what to eat that helps make you feel full. i have a problem with wanting to over eat even when im not hungry. any advise would be helpful

thanks

Replies

• maxwellcoffeebean
    Options
    Stuff with alot of fiber. Veggies are good for that too. Oatmeal is a meal that makes me feel full.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    anything with a lot of protein and fiber, I will usually reach for a meal replacement bar usually around 200 calories and 10 grams of protein. Atkins has a brand that's pretty decent. Kellogg's also has one.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's not what you eat, but how you eat. Eat slowly, making sure to really chew your food with each bite. Some people set down their fork after each bite to help them slow down, and some chew each bite 20 times before swallowing. Find something that helps you slow down. When you eat more slowly, you give your brain time to recognize your stomach's "full" feeling before you've overeaten.

If you're wanting to snack between meals, a good tip is to always drink a glass of water before you go snacking. A lot of times we misinterpret thirst as hunger. So drink some water, and that will likely quell any cravings that aren't really hunger. If you are still actually hungry, that water will help fill you up a bit so you don't have to snack as much, and you can grab a healthy snack.

Measure out your food. As in, don't eat chips out of the bag, don't eat peanuts out of the jar, don't eat ice cream out of the pint container, etc. Put one serving in a bowl, and then eat it slowly. When you have a definite ending point (your bowl is empty), it's easier to keep from overeating.
  • jessiecasper
    Options
    Chia seeds and coconut oil, I'll put them in a smoothie, soup, air popped corn, salad and coconut lattes are wonderful (yes, I put coconut oil in my morning cuppa - usually 1 1/2 tsp per 12 oz of coffee).
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    1,200 calorie daily goal??
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    First thing - are you eating enough? 1200 is probably unrealistically low for lots of people, theres a good chance you can lose weight eating much more than that (I did!).

Or are you eating lots of processed stuff? I find that I don't get as full eating high calories processed stuff, home made food with lots of fruit and veggies and whole grains really works for me.

If it's not that your goal is too low, then perhaps you need to start looking at not only what you are eating, but WHY you are eating. For me that has been a whole lot harder than just losing weight, I tend to eat when I'm sad or bored or lonely or happy or driving or .... well, you get the idea. I've had to look hard at how and why and when I eat (not just WHAT I eat) and try to change some of the bad habits I have. One book I've read that has been quite an eyeopener is Eating Less by Gillian Riley, you might like to check this out, but I'm sure there are lots of others out there too.

Good luck!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Protein with every meal/snack if possible. Seriously, it changes the course of my day, especially if I eat a lot of protein in the morning.
  • sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Lean protien is filling and you may need more protien than recommended here
  • tsmoser
    tsmoser Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    well when i put in my information the computer put that as my calorie goal? can you change it?
  • brownbeauty91
    Options
    fiber and protein will help you feel full. Also if you're feeling hungry all the time, maybe you need to up your calories :)
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    well when i put in my information the computer put that as my calorie goal? can you change it?

Yes you can. If you choose to lose weight more slowly than 2 pounds per week, it will change. You can also choose to customize your goals by going to My Home > Goals > Custom and input a number that you feel will work for you.

Also, make sure you're eating any calories you earn through exercise. If your goal is 1200 and you burn 200 through exercise, eat the full 1400. That's what the site is designed for. :)
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

In most cases, MFP's calculations are wrong. Also, there is no need to set your goals at maximum loss. Too stressful.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I need a carb with meals to help me feel satisfied. I have tried doing without and I just don't make it. I usually eat brown rice with meals or sometimes some of those really small potatoes. I can feel up on veggies and protein but without something like the rice my stomach is rumbling in an hour.
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    When I feel like I am hungry and want something, I have started eatting a small container of activia yogurt with frozen fruit. Dont thaw the fruit, just pour the activia on it and the yogurt will kind of freeze on the berries, or peaches or strawberries. You can't eat it fast because it is frozen and so it lasts and seems to be very satisfying. Little bit sweet, little bit tangy, kinda like ice cream and the yogurt is only 70 calories and the fruit is low......... depending on the fruit but usually no more than 50 calories. 120 calories or less and it puts the hungries to sleep.
  • tegla
    tegla Posts: 132
    Options
    My new yummy filler upper is an apple sliced and dipped in 1 tsp cinnamon with a packet of sweetener in it.