Weight Loss & Resistance Training Phobia

Options
So my primary goal is weight loss, as in a number. Throughout my journey, I've been dead set against it because I know that my scale may see an increase.

Is the increase only temporary due to water retention? I know that body fat reducation can be attributed to resistance training, so I'm just looking for advice from others who had this phobia, and/or success overall in their weight.

Replies

• NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    To gain weight from resistance training, you have to also be eating a surplus of calories as well. You can't really gain weight while operating at a deficit. The concerns about gaining weight while strength training are really overblown. What strength training does do is it helps to prevent muscle loss during weight loss. When we lose weight, a certain percentage of that loss is muscle in addition to fat. Strength training helps to reduce muscle loss during weight loss so that your loss is more fat and less muscle.
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Lift weights!
    :)
  • SmallerBecky
    Options
    But then, you can't gain muscle on a calorie deficit either. So I would like to know, now that the original poster has asked his question, where should you have your calorie goal set at, if you would like to continue to lose fat and gain muscle and get smaller? Maintenance? A little bit of a surplus? Hmmmm...
  • gargoyle999
    gargoyle999 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've lost 68 lbs and have been using some weight training along the way. I've still been losing weight because I've been maintaining a calorie deficit. I have more definition in my upper body especially and my arms are probably slightly larger but not resulting in lbs of muscle being gained (and added to my weight). I think when you are still trying to lose fat and maintaining a calorie deficit weight training is good for maintaining and toning muscle. Plus it gives you something different to do and burns calories, especially when working the lower body.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I used to have this phobia, I stopped trying to lose weight (reached my goal) about 4 months ago and gave it a go about 2 months ago.
    I have so much energy now that I can't just sit down. The first week I gained 2 lbs, and it stayed like that for 3 maybe 4 weeks, but I also lost 2 dress sizes. Then now I lost those 2 lbs, I will weigh again in another weeks. If you would like friend me and you will find out what happens then :smile:

I do know that more muscle means more burning cals while sedentary, and that is my goal. Also I would love to get that lean fit look, with my natural curvy figure I think I would look amazing!!!
  • riotwraith
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat, so any pound of muscle you gain will take up less space than a pound of fat lost. The only way to accurately track fat loss is through body calipers. Also, dieting alone will ALWAYS result in some amount of muscle loss, while resistance training will slow the weight loss by preventing the muscle loss, but actually assist the fat loss through the extra expended calories and any extra muscle raising you basal metabolic rate.

Source: Nursing school. Glad all those stupid nutrition and fitness classes are finally starting to come in handy.

Edit: and as everyone is pointing out, it is hard to gain or even maintain muscle with a caloric deficit. A well-balanced diet with a high enough protein content can overcome that, though.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Just track your weight, bodyfat and belly measurements, and watch the trends.
    If you're getting good results, your numbers should all go down.

I also include pants size - lol
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Don't overcomplicate things. Just do weights. Eat a bit more protein than usual and maybe give yourself a little more (100 - 200cal?) calorie goal. Monitor your fat loss over a couple of weeks and if you're not losing fat just reduce your calorie intake by a little bit.

Strength training, I think, is essential for maintaining lean body mass while losing fat.
  • EricMurano
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat, so any pound of muscle you gain will take up less space than a pound of fat lost. The only way to accurately track fat loss is through body calipers ...

But keep in mind that in the very beginning the rate of fat loss will and should greatly exceed muscle gain. Don't get into the trap of thinking a 5kg increase in overall weight was 10kg in fat loss and 15kg in muscle gain!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Or you could just quit *****ing and get to work. Babes like it when you do that.
  • Kalani2012
    Options
    To gain weight from resistance training, you have to also be eating a surplus of calories as well. You can't really gain weight while operating at a deficit. The concerns about gaining weight while strength training are really overblown. What strength training does do is it helps to prevent muscle loss during weight loss. When we lose weight, a certain percentage of that loss is muscle in addition to fat. Strength training helps to reduce muscle loss during weight loss so that your loss is more fat and less muscle.

Will you can't gain weight on a deficit diet you can put on muscle. Don't get me wrong your not gonna blow up like Arnold by strength training on a deficit diet,but if you use a tape measure you may find that your arms, thighs, and chest are getting bigger. While your waist is getting smaller. Take a picture of yourself once a week and hold on to them. You maybe amazed at the changes a few weeks down the road.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    There are exceptions to the rule that you can't gain muscle while eating a calorie deficit. Overweight beginners and athletes on a layoff can gain some muscle at first, however, you aren't going to hulk up.
    It is not uncommon for you to put on weight when first starting a weight program simply because the muscle store more water while healing. This is temporary.
    I started a new program lifting heavier and more often along with a new diet to go with 4 weeks ago. The scale went up a little bit, then levelled off at the weight I was when I started and stayed there. My trainer had warned me this may happen. This week was the first week I showed a drop on the scale, 2lbs, since I started 4 weeks ago. In that time, I lost a size. I took photos and there is a noticable difference in my face, waist, back, arms and legs.

To me, the benefit of weight training far outweights the temporary increase or plateau on the scale.
  • tambamis
    tambamis Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Muscle takes up much less space that fat.
    Rock the weights and resistance training - and watch the scale go up while your body size goes down.
    Take pics - so we all can be motivated by your results!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    You will be so much more successfull - and look much better at the end of your journey if you worked out with weights as you went along....

Have a read of The Hierarchy of Fat Loss by Alwyn Cosgrove, and especially the Five Factors for Fat Loss Training

http://alwyncosgrove.com/2010/01/hierarchy-of-fat-loss/
  • EricMurano
    Options
    I do weights and running and I'm in a calorie deficit. I have lost weight. I am getting larger muscles especially the quadriceps and biceps and my clothes sizes are getting smaller.

The whole issue with confusing muscle gain with fat gain is a mind virus.