Where do I start???

Options
Ok, I've been on this site for a week. I absolutely love it here! I've been doing really good following the eating/calorie guide on here. Now that I'm comfortable with my eating habits, still have a ways to go, but I'm getting the hang of it, I'd really like to add in some exercise. I know this sounds crazy, but I honestly have no clue where I should begin with exercising. My doctor told me that I should only concentrate on cardio (getting my heartrate above 120 for 30 mins, 3 times per week) and as I get used to being more active and am more adjusted to my new eating habits then I can add in more exercise. So I'm asking all of you for help because you've all been wonderful so far. I've got 2 small children at home all day, making it difficult to go outside for walks and such right now (I live in Michigan and it's brrr cold and snowy here). I'm looking for suggestions, just somewhere to start, something I can do inside while the kids nap. Thanks in advance for your continued help and support!
Stacey

Replies

• Stacey82
    Options
    Ok, I've been on this site for a week. I absolutely love it here! I've been doing really good following the eating/calorie guide on here. Now that I'm comfortable with my eating habits, still have a ways to go, but I'm getting the hang of it, I'd really like to add in some exercise. I know this sounds crazy, but I honestly have no clue where I should begin with exercising. My doctor told me that I should only concentrate on cardio (getting my heartrate above 120 for 30 mins, 3 times per week) and as I get used to being more active and am more adjusted to my new eating habits then I can add in more exercise. So I'm asking all of you for help because you've all been wonderful so far. I've got 2 small children at home all day, making it difficult to go outside for walks and such right now (I live in Michigan and it's brrr cold and snowy here). I'm looking for suggestions, just somewhere to start, something I can do inside while the kids nap. Thanks in advance for your continued help and support!
    Stacey
  • margz85
    Options
    Do you have exercise on demand? It is from TIme Warner cable free with digital cable. They have a ton of different fitness plans for you to do from concentration in one area or cardio ,..20 min exercise routine they even have the biggest loser exercise programs.

I would suggest doing a tape. I love Billy Blanks Tae Bo i had a hard time keeping up with it...but once i did it was almost like a reached a goal for myself. And it definetly helps you sweat! (if you go into FYE they have exercise DVDs on sale a lot) Hope that sort of helps.

Also Jump Roping is great exercise...but i get bored quickly with that. Since you have children...maybe getting a trampline and jumping while watching a TV show (that has to have the same effect).

Hope this kind of helped!
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    There's tons of videos, even dancing around the room to music.. just take your heart rate to make sure you're in the range. I joined a gym with a kids club so I can drop the monsters..er.. little kids off there so I can walk on the treadmill. It's a sacrifice financially since I'm a SAHM but it's working for me. Later I can do it at home on my own.

Also you can tone easily at home, use a towel for resistance, and just stretch out and work those muscles. Milk jugs, etc. can add weight.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Stacey

Hi, and welcome!
    For exercise, I dance to a fast oldies CD that my husband made up of all my favorite old songs. It's free, (unlike a gym!) never dependent on the weather, fun, and I can even watch tv at the same time, so I never get bored. Maybe you could try something like that. :smile:
  • johnblake
    Options
    I like to start at the begining!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    walking
    start walking...could be one of the best fitness inventions known to the post office and many others

walking has several benefits-

it is free
    it can get you somewhere else

check the web under walking or walk it off...
    simple and amazing
    good luck
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I started with elastic bands I got them through Avon, though I haven't seen them there in a while. You could probably find them at Target or any fitness store. Once those were too easy, I used weights - I started with 4 pounds because 2 was so easy.

I also walked a LOT at first. Eventually I was able to run! If it was snowing or something and I couldn't get outside I walked up and down our stairs for 20 or 30 minutes. When I started this I could only go up and down 7 times, and part of that was crawling, lol! Hey, I figured as long as I was moving I was burning calories!
  • czarina127
    czarina127 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    At home when I can't get out I turn on dance music and have a dance party with my niece. That's a great way to get your kids involved and moving too. I don't know your fitness level but when I first started I did walking videos on demand. I think Walmart also has some. They are easy but not boring. I can't really do dance videos because I am just not that coordinated and I get annoyed and turn it off. Also when I am cleaning I rush around like I have 5 minutes before I have to go to help get my heart rate up.
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have a jump rope that I bought about 7to 8 years ago when I bought my hrm, but it wasn't as good as the gold's gym jump rope and haven't used it since (perhaps I'll do a new thread as a result to see) cause it's too light.............meaning that it in terms of hand holds are too light and makes me mess up...
  • Stacey82
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the wonderful ideas! I'm going to try them ALL starting today. I'm just gonna try them for a couple days each and see what one works best for me. Thank you!