Is this true?

Options
So im logging my 30 day shred, im only level one, i read a post where sum1 said this:

So on most sites it says 503 cals burned per hour for a 154lb person. I know heart rate and such has an effect but I just took 503 and divided by 154 to see how many cals per lb....

You burn 3.26 calories per pound that you are. So, I am 238....I took 238 x 3.26 = 779 calories per hour. the more you weigh the more you burn. Hope this helps anyone who still needed help :)

however i am 245 pounds so would i burn 798.7 per hour i do? its only 30mins so i wld burn 399.35??

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I weigh 115 and burn 350 so who knows. *shrug* get a HRM to better track your burn or just use "circuit training, general".
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    So im logging my 30 day shred, im only level one, i read a post where sum1 said this:

So on most sites it says 503 cals burned per hour for a 154lb person. I know heart rate and such has an effect but I just took 503 and divided by 154 to see how many cals per lb....

You burn 3.26 calories per pound that you are. So, I am 238....I took 238 x 3.26 = 779 calories per hour. the more you weigh the more you burn. Hope this helps anyone who still needed help :)

however i am 245 pounds so would i burn 798.7 per hour i do? its only 30mins so i wld burn 399.35??

That's just a guess at best. I agree with rainbowbow, get an HRM so you know for sure.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    My bodybugg read a little over 200, but I feel that I burn a little more, but would rather underestimate calories burnt. I would use circuit training, and assume 10 calories per minute would be close. I weight 158 by the way.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    The relationship between body weight and cals burned might not be that linear so I would probably invest in a HRM
  • hayes1311
    hayes1311 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    thanx :-) ive just logged it under circuit training :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options

Sounds about right. I can burn 400 calories running moderately at a weight of 185lbs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I'm about 250lbs and using my HRM, the 1st level of 30DS burns 168 calories for me. Nowhere near as much as I would if I used your calculation!
  • linnapee
    linnapee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Is it definitely hard to calculate calories burnt based on those kind of equations. Not only does your weight play a part in how many calories you burn per hour doing an activity, but also your fitness levels, etc.

I use a heart rate monitor to keep track of my calories and when I first did level 1 of the 30 day shred I burnt 286 calories. After doing it for a while (but maintaining my weight, but improving my fitness) I only burnt 237 calories.

Definitely invest in a heart rate monitor, its as close as you can get to accurately estimating how many calories you burn during exercise :)