Starting Again

Options
Back after hiding for two months. Bone density test confirms worsening bone loss, I'm 44, doc says lose weight & exercise. So I'm back and getting ready to start again. Will start slow, track food, drink more water. Not sure on the exercise though. Any suggestions?

Replies

• coco1119
    Options
    It depends on what kinds of things you enjoy! if you enjoy it you will stick with it. I am in Kung fu and tai chi and I love it. Been doing it for 3yrs now. martials in general is just a lot of fun to me and if you find the right school/program its not all about learning to fight or anything like that and almost all schools let you have a free trial class. or maybe a zumba class if you like like a big class to work out with. You can also try workout DVD's. I am going to try Jillian Michaels 30 day shred in January. There is a group on here that will be doing it together. Or what about biking? it can be low impact if your knees hurt. If you have kids go roller blading with them in the neighborhood, walk the dog, jump rope. Just mix it up and keep trying new things until you find something you enjoy that you might stick to. I hope this gives you ideas!
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    When I started, I just vowed to walk my dogs 3 times a week minimum. Once I conquered that, I added more and more. Now working out is a routine part of my life.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    If you're losing bone density, then you need to do weight-bearing cardio (like walking/jogging) and weight lifting.
  • harlylena
    harlylena Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks! All great suggestions and gives me a starting point. Have wanted to try tai chi for the longest; the dog needs to lose weight too so looks like that's a great start; and sounds like it will help w/ the bone density. THANKS!
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Boxing is a great way to build bone density, from what I've read because it's stimulates your bones to build up to take the repetitive smacking of the bag. You don't need to go all out on the bag either, but slowly build up to it.

You also want to load weight on the bone along its length, for example squats, not leg extensions.

Here's a great list of ideas and some of the knowledge behind it.

As always, check with the doc first!

http://www.stumptuous.com/the-bone-building-workout
  • harlylena
    harlylena Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for the link!!