Loss of Motivation

Options
My grandfather is really sick and we are not really sure how much longer he is going to be around, but he is also suffering a lot so watching him be in so much pain is hard as well. I am depressed and have been crying a lot. Motivating myself to work out and eat right has been a real struggle. Have any of you overcome a hard time and still reached your goals?

Replies

• candycaneps
    candycaneps Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    My grandfather is really sick and we are not really sure how much longer he is going to be around, but he is also suffering a lot so watching him be in so much pain is hard as well. I am depressed and have been crying a lot. Motivating myself to work out and eat right has been a real struggle. Have any of you overcome a hard time and still reached your goals?
  • awestfall
    awestfall Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain my grandfather is in a nursing home now and not doing so well either.I will send a prayer up for your grandfather that God may ease his pain and suffering.You can get through this and if you need someone to talk to just look me up on here.Stay strong and believe .You can do this I know it may take some time but do it for you and your grandfather I am sure he would be proud to know you are trying to make yourself healthier.Don't give up !!
  • mgeek40
    Options
    I don't know if you will see this as the same but my wife left me and our 2 children for another man. Working out has been my salvation. Its gets my mind off everything else in my life. I am still working on my goals but everytim I'm tempted to get down and feel hopeless I try t do something physical to get my mind off it and it usually works. Its a great distraction from your problems.

Good luck with everything.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

Its hard..my dad has cancer and there are times I get frumpy ..this morning was emotional for me but if you can try to always remember your family member would want you to be happy and ok..So be sure to take care fo yourself...sometimes take a breather and then just gather yourself and push through...good luck and i hope things get better:flowerforyou:
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Yoga or meditation... either on your own or use a video or class. Or if you're into this, align your chakra.

And yes, every time I have a big fight with hubby and am upset, I hit the gym and work out extra hard. It helps me get thru the emotions.

Sorry about your granddad.
  • heal4444
    heal4444 Posts: 709
    Options
    Candycaneps, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather is dying. Watching someone you love die is very hard. My heart is out to you.

Awestfall, I'm sad to hear your grandfather is in the nursing home and is not doing well. You must be hurting as well. My heart also goes out to you.

Myastyme, I've expressed my thoughts to you for your dad dying of cancer and once again, I offer you my most caring thoughts.

Mgeek40, I'm sad to hear your wife left your family for someone else, you too must be hurting very bad.

To all, life is hard. You feel like you can cry and cry and cry non stop. Life is hard. To all of you who feel this way, perhaps, I hope to offer you some words of comfort. No one can take your pain away. Life is hard because we love and at times, we do lose the ones we love whether through death or end of love relationships.

The question is how to take good care of ourselves in these times?

:heart: Love yourself no matter what.:heart:

Love yourself because you have to put yourself 1st. You are #1.

When my late father ( who passed away years ago), was dying in the hospital, I did tai chi in an out of the way hospital hallway, the doctors and nurses came up to me and said, "I wish I could learn that." They didn't know, the 5 mins, 15 mins I did the tai chi in that hallway was keeping me alive. Seeing my dad die was the single hardest thing I had to endure in my life. My confidante, my mentor, my inspiration was dying. And with him, a part of me was dying too. So, I had to do what I had to do to stay alive. What was great about tai chi was its portability, I did not need a mat, and I could do them anywhere, even a few moments, or few minutes, in the hospital hallway that was away from any foot traffic, I could do it.

I did tai chi in the hospital hallway, on the way home from the hospital, did tai chi in the park. Took solitude walks everyday to keep my body moving. I did yoga at night to rest my mind. I did meditation in the morning to quiet my mind. I did weight lifting to feel strong.

And when other relatives took turns to look after him, I went and did my 2 hours of sports every week. I needed to not think about my dad. So, that I could think about him afterwards.

Like adopt4 mentioned, yoga is really good. Yoga I found not only gave me body movement, it allowed me to relax and become centred me as well, grounded me, slowed my breath, my mind to stillness, calmness, oneness, peace.

It wasn't easy because every moment of every day, I was thinking of my dad. And every moment that I was away from the hospital, I felt I should be there instead. But, I knew, I had to fuel my spirit first, fill my cup full so that what I had left I could give my Dad the most loving, the most full, the most life.

If I was empty, I would have nothing to give to my Dad but my empty soul.

All this physical/psychological training of walks, sports, weight training, meditation, yoga, and tai chi prepared me for what was to come. The death of my dad. Nothing could replace him. And nothing could have been better for me than to do what I did for myself to deal with the loss of him.

It is not selfish to take care of oneself in these tough times. It is love. It is loving ourselves. It is loving the one we are losing by showing them, that we will be ok. We will be fine when they are gone because we continue to love ourselves.

Do not put your life on hold. Love your life this very moment. This very minute. This very day. You have had the priviledge, the honor, to know this one you love. Love it for what it was. Yet, continue to love your life too.

When the time comes whether in days, weeks, months or years, please turn to a book that helped me when my dad died. I have recommended it to many over the years and it is the most thorough book on grief.

How to Go On Living When Someone You Love Dies

by Therese A. Rando.

I do not suggest you buy it then. You have much to do then. I suggest you buy it now so when it happens, it will be there for you and guide you to let you know what you are going thru is normal.

The depth of feelings you are feeling now is not anything you have ever felt before, and I want you to know is that you will be ok.

Life is hard. Taking good care of yourself is not the easiest thing to do in these times, I understand and agree. Not taking good care of yourelf would make life much harder. So, take very good care. I wish you all strength, courage, and peace to get thru these times.

:heart: Love yourself no matter what.:heart:

:heart: Heal4444

mgeek40,

Specifically for your situation, another book that got me thru really difficult breakups with my exboyfriends, I hope it too would be of help to you in your time of need now.

Coming Apart: Why Relationships End and How to Live Through the Ending of Yours.

by Daphne Rose Kingma.

Take good care of yourself. I hope in time with the insight from Kingma's book, your broken heart will heal. I wish you much strength, and peace in your time of need, and most of all healing.

:heart: Love yourself no matter what:heart:

:heart: Heal4444