Women Running themselves into trouble

Options

Replies

• mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    That was an interesting article. While I agree, cardio alone is not the way to get healthy, it is an essential part of a healthy lifestyle, along with strength and healthy eating. Although I must admit, I do not do any where near the cardio as the "Jessica" he describes in the article, I do make it part of my regular fitness routine.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Interesting thoughts. However the article doesn't mention a solution, only a problem.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Interesting thoughts. However the article doesn't mention a solution, only a problem.

My thoughts exactly!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've been keeping fit for several decades now and at times that has included running. I have never known anyone to get fatter by running. They might not be all pumped up, depending on what else they do and how long/far they run. But running does not make you fat.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Having done some research (and experimenting with my own body's needs) I would guess that the "solution" would be to mix up steady state cardio with interval training and strength training.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options

It doesn't, but my suggestion will be adequate protein intake, heavy lifting and HIIT.
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options

The problem is doing 20+ hours of cardio a week, so the solution should be obvious: don't do 20+ hours of cardio per week. ;)

I'm a runner, though I would never spend a part time job's worth of hours running every week. I think my top peak was something like 4 hours. You have to leave time in there for cross training so that your other muscles get used, as well.