6pm and all bets are off!!

Options
Why is it that I can kick butt ALL DAY! and I get home and it's all over? All my hard work is out the window. Each day is a new day and I start out great with the best intentions but it never lasts. How can I make this work?

Replies

• fiddlechic
    Options
    Why is it that I can kick butt ALL DAY! and I get home and it's all over? All my hard work is out the window. Each day is a new day and I start out great with the best intentions but it never lasts. How can I make this work?
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Darlin, nothing is out the window!!!!!! Like I've seen YOU tell folks on this board, just do the best you can and start again tomorrow!!!! What great advice!:tongue:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Are you a late night girl or are you snacking out of boredom? I eat the larger portion of my calories at night. I usually exercise before going to bed. Some people say it keeps them up but not me. If you're snacking maybe try tomatoes, cucumbers etc that are low in cals. .
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    You can so totally do this -

I assume you are talking about eating too much once you get home? You are a night eater? I always was too. This is what I've done to change that:

~Plan out my meals so I don't have to think about lots of different foods in the evening
    ~As soon as I walk in the door, I make a big glass of water with ice
    ~While I get dinner together, I drink the water, and refill it
    ~Measure and log everything I eat
    ~After dinner, make another glass of water, add more ice
    ~As the night goes on, when I get to feeling munchie - I eat the soft ice - I usually put a couple glasses of ice on the cabinet or in the fridge to soften, and I eat it all the time- I also like the soft ice with lime squeezed on it

This is really working for me - thought I'd share my simple solution. Good luck, you really can overcome this - experiment, and don't be so hard on yourself - this is a process not an event:flowerforyou:
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I blow it in the eves too! Retry tomorrow and save a few cals for evening, have tea, brush your teeth, eat veggies-uggh. Hang in there, I'm on day 1 again. Join MFPhardcorehotties on introplay.com. It's going to be great competition and motivation!:drinker:
  • tazspastic
    tazspastic Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Another great snack is cantelope! 1 cup of the stuff is only 50 calories (and its good for your eyes, like carrots are.) or cauliflower... again 1 cup is 25 calories... can't go wrong there! I love cauliflower lightly steamed with a tiny bit of sea salt on it. Soooo yummy!
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    You can so totally do this -

I assume you are talking about eating too much once you get home? You are a night eater? I always was too. This is what I've done to change that:

~Plan out my meals so I don't have to think about lots of different foods in the evening
    ~As soon as I walk in the door, I make a big glass of water with ice
    ~While I get dinner together, I drink the water, and refill it
    ~Measure and log everything I eat
    ~After dinner, make another glass of water, add more ice
    ~As the night goes on, when I get to feeling munchie - I eat the soft ice - I usually put a couple glasses of ice on the cabinet or in the fridge to soften, and I eat it all the time- I also like the soft ice with lime squeezed on it

This is really working for me - thought I'd share my simple solution. Good luck, you really can overcome this - experiment, and don't be so hard on yourself - this is a process not an event:flowerforyou:

i like this!

dont be so hard on yourself. try to figure out a way to preplan your dinner and stay focused! go home, put your stuff down, start making what you planned, eat it!, and be done with it. we all have our days where we are good or bad. it really helps to jump on MFP and start playing around, reading posts, getting recipe ideas, etc. you can do it girl! you have it in you! :flowerforyou:
  • marisol7649
    marisol7649 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    This is such a great question!! I am the same way, I just eat my most calories for dinner, I work out every day, But I like to have family's dinner at night. Should I work out after dinner too???
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    Are you a late night girl or are you snacking out of boredom? I eat the larger portion of my calories at night. I usually exercise before going to bed. Some people say it keeps them up but not me. If you're snacking maybe try tomatoes, cucumbers etc that are low in cals. .

Im with you. I also exercise later at night (after my kids go to bed) and I have to stay up till midnight because of my daughters bedwetting. But it has never kept me up it does the oppisite for me puts me right to sleep. I love the 100 calorie packs those have always been my favorite. Or what you could do is get those snack bags and put munchies in there. The best of luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • fiddlechic
    Options
    I do plan my menu but like tonight, I was thinking about it in the car on the way home and just tossed that aside:( I know I'm the only one who can make the decision to stick with it so tomorrow I will just do it. No excuses. I will eat the dinner I planned and be done with it like you said! Actually I think tomorrow will be good bc my boyfriend will be here and he'd die if he saw me binging like I did tonight!! He and I can sit down, eat together and then catch up on the day.

Thanks for all the support and great tips.

p.s. I have been noticing my thirst more lately. I do drink about 72 ounces of water between 9am and 6pm but mid pig out in the evenings I feel really thirsty so I'll try drinking another 24 ounces of water before sitting down to eat in the evenings.
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    I do plan my menu but like tonight, I was thinking about it in the car on the way home and just tossed that aside:( I know I'm the only one who can make the decision to stick with it so tomorrow I will just do it. No excuses. I will eat the dinner I planned and be done with it like you said! Actually I think tomorrow will be good bc my boyfriend will be here and he'd die if he saw me binging like I did tonight!! He and I can sit down, eat together and then catch up on the day.

p.s. I have been noticing my thirst more lately. I do drink about 72 ounces of water between 9am and 6pm but mid pig out in the evenings I feel really thirsty so I'll try drinking another 24 ounces of water before sitting down to eat in the evenings.

you are doing so good fiddlewoman! :flowerforyou:

it might help to know i was voluntering a couple sundays ago and brought apple slices to eat in the afternoon to hold me over until dinner. one of the other volunteers brought little heart shaped brownies for all of us. i thought - ok, just one they are small. RIGHT! i ate like 6 or 7 in about 5 minutes! then ate a few more about an hour later. after that huge f'up i went to taco bueno.

i guess what i am saying is none of us are perfect. but we really and truly are on the right track. before MFP, i would do stuff like i mentioned EVERY DAY. now i recognize i am not always going to be as strong as being on MFP makes me feel but i have the tools and the goals in place to make a difference - we all do! the occasional weak moment is overcome by the support here and the determination to set things right. :heart:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Binging can really do a number on our bodies, that might be precisely why you are much more thirsty... perhaps it's the sodium you're taking in on the binges?

FC:heart:
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I have always been a night eater too. I used to go all day at work without eating much, and then at home, in the evenings, I would just graze until I went to bed.:explode:

SO, a couple things to think of - are you eating pretty regularly during the day, at least 3 or 4 small meals? Do you live alone, or are you coming home to someone? I guess the real question there, is what stresses you out? Are you hungry in the evenings, or just eating for comfort? If you're not really hungry, but are eating anyway, its something else. I think you may want to look into some self-soothing exercises, like deep breathing, stretching, guided imagery, going for a walk, etc. Good luck!:happy: