Couch to 5 K

Options
I have always envied those people that can just "go for a run", and I have decided that I want to be one of those people. No more excuses! I am starting the couch to 5K workout plan today! Has anyone had success with this? Any feedback and tips would be greatly appreciated:smile:

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Yes - it's pretty great.

Get a decent, comfortable set of shoes and take it easy. A light jog is all it takes if you are starting out.
  • adnama36
    adnama36 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I LOVED Couch to 5k! I did it this past spring, and I've run 2 5k races since, and now I'm training for my 3rd.

My advice...take it slow. Don't feel like you have to be maintaining a certain pace during your runs. You are working on building endurance, not speed. Don't feel like you've failed if you don't feel ready to tackle a particular week at it's scheduled time. I repeated a couple of weeks, because I just didn't feel ready to move on. (Hello again, week 5!)

You can do this! It is SUCH an amazing feeling of accomplishment when you realize "Wow, I just ran a 5k!"
  • ninamm3
    ninamm3 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I LOVED Couch to 5k! I did it this past spring, and I've run 2 5k races since, and now I'm training for my 3rd.

My advice...take it slow. Don't feel like you have to be maintaining a certain pace during your runs. You are working on building endurance, not speed. Don't feel like you've failed if you don't feel ready to tackle a particular week at it's scheduled time. I repeated a couple of weeks, because I just didn't feel ready to move on. (Hello again, week 5!)

You can do this! It is SUCH an amazing feeling of accomplishment when you realize "Wow, I just ran a 5k!"

VERY WELL SPOKEN! Completely agree. Great program. I went from 5K to running my first Half this past year. Stick to it and you'll be "going for a run" in no time. It's all about attitude! :)
  • nborsh22
    nborsh22 Posts: 72 Member
    Options

This is my advice exactly. Week 4 was my killer. BUT....you just keep pushing through and each week you can't believe how far you've come. It is such a great feeling! I was never a runner but felt this was a way to shed some weight and since it is a program to follow I felt more obligated to do it. Definitely give yourself rest days. I did my runs Tues, Thurs & Sat. That way it was 2 work days and one weekend day. That worked out well for me. I did all my runs on the treadmill so that I had no weather excuses, plus it was in my basement and I would run first thing in the morning before everyone was up and then I got ready for work. You feel energized all day too.

I completed the program Thanksgiving week and did my first 5k on Thanksgiving day. It was great and my time was better than I expected. I'm looking forward to the spring when I can pick up more 5k's. Until then I'm planning a round 2 of C25k to increase my running speeds. Our treadmill broke right after I finished the program so waiting for the new one to come next week.

Good luck to you....and just stick with it. The endurance will come!!!