Confusion over BMR

Options
I am confused....

I went online and found the equation to calculate how many calories my body should naturally burn if I laid in bed all day doing nothing (actually wish that I could do that on occassion lol). That number is 1466.

My BMR on here is 1840 based on a sedentary lifestyle. I have a desk job so walking back and forth to the printer is pretty much the degree of my "occupational exercise."

So this means that I basically "burn" 375ish calories from walking back and forth to the printer? That's not my question, just an observation lol.

My question is... Should I be viewing 1466 as my "starvation mode" cutoff number (not the traditional 1200)? I've pretty much eaten under that since starting MFP in August and hit a major stall in my weight loss in October. Should I be looking to eat a mninimum of 1500 calories no matter what? While keeping my calories under 1840 to lose weight?

Replies

• hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    My BMR on here is 1840 based on a sedentary lifestyle. I have a desk job so walking back and forth to the printer is pretty much the degree of my "occupational exercise."

^^This is not your BMR, it's your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). It includes walking, talking, shower...everyday things.

Starvation mode is not a set number. For some, it could be 1200...for others it could be quite higher. You just need to make sure you are consuming enough calories to fuel your activities. Undereating is counterproductive to fat loss (emphasis on FAT loss, not just weight, which can include, water, fat, muscle AND tissue).

Try upping you calories a little at a time. Also consider taking a full diet break.

Read more about it here:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

Hope this helps :flowerforyou: