Breastfeeding Mom

Options
Hi everyone! I am a nursing mom, and was wondering if anyone knows how I can enter this into my calculations (since breastfeeding actually burns around 500 calories per day!). Should I just enter it as a "personal exercise"??

Replies

• mjb343
    mjb343 Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am a nursing mom, and was wondering if anyone knows how I can enter this into my calculations (since breastfeeding actually burns around 500 calories per day!). Should I just enter it as a "personal exercise"??
  • sharondaley
    Options
    Wow how interesting...

Ive had 4 children and nursed each and every one of them but I had no idea that breast feeding burned so many calories.
    I guess thats how I lost all my baby weight within a month of having them, they were all very hungry babies. :smile:

Well Ive not been breast feeding for the last 7 years and im 4 stone (56lb) heavier. :grumble:
  • sharondaley
    Options
    SORRY I COULDNT ANSWER YOUR QUESTION..
  • krazykayzy
    krazykayzy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm a breastfeeding mom too....and to solve the problem I just added it as a cardiovascular exercise. Under cardiovascular exercise it says add exercise and then when you click on that there is an option to "add exercise not listed". I chose that, labled it breastfeeding and entered 500 calories. This is what I did and it works like a charm, everyday I add the breastfeeding exercise and it calculates the calories in with everything else I did! Hope it works for you too.......
  • mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I just adjusted my daily calorie allowance by +500 to account for the extra calories I need to make yummy milk. : ) This way I dont have to add it as an "exercize" everyday! Good Luck
  • tinamommy727
    tinamommy727 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    my body was so different when i was breastfeeding, It seemed like it was trying to hold on to as much weight as it can to produce milk, since I normally nurse my kiddos for a year in a half, i was way overweight. I didn't even try to lose weight until after i stopped nursing my kids.....its not like that with everyone, so don't get discouraged....I know you can do it!
  • hahahollylol
    hahahollylol Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm a breastfeeding mom...and I haven't entered it into the system as anything. Why would we want to? Is it an issue of possibly not being able to produce enough milk?
  • hahahollylol
    Options
    oh, and I wanted to add that my baby is almost 11 months old.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's an issue of not eating enough cals and hurting your supply.

I just enter mine as 300 cals even though my 3 month old is exclusively BFing. I didn't want to go to 500 since I really have to work hard to lose weight while BFing, and I didn't want to risk not losing. I do tend to eat all/most of my exercise calories too.
  • hahahollylol
    Options

I just enter mine as 300 cals even though my 3 month old is exclusively BFing. I didn't want to go to 500 since I really have to work hard to lose weight while BFing, and I didn't want to risk not losing. I do tend to eat all/most of my exercise calories too.

How long have you been doing it this way? and what do you burn off during exercise? I'm curious because I see you have lost 29 pounds. Do you mean you've lost 29 pounds since you had your baby?
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options

How long have you been doing it this way? and what do you burn off during exercise? I'm curious because I see you have lost 29 pounds. Do you mean you've lost 29 pounds since you had your baby?
    Yes, 29 since having the baby...13 since I've been trying (about 7 weeks). I burn anywhere from 200-700 with exercise. That latter is when I do the 30 Day Shred with Turbo Jam, but that's only been a few times. I burn 200 with just 30DS and 500 with just Turbo Jam Cardio Party. I exercise 6x/week on average.

I've been logging it like that since I started on this site in mid-March.