Health Question

Options
I have been dieting and exercising for about 3 months now. I noticed I seem to break blood vessels pretty easily now. I barely scratch an area of skin and now I have all these red blots where it looks like blood under the skin. I also noticed that my fingernails are breaking like crazy and seem really brittle and dry. These may not be related but it kind of disturbed me a little. I was wondering if maybe it's something I can fix with a good vitamin supplement everyday? Anyone else noted any odd things or have any suggestions? Thanks all! :)

Replies

• TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diaries to know if there are issues I can see from that. But the causes of easy bleeding and bruising can be a number of underlying diseases where you would need to see a physician or it can be a simple vitamin K deficiency. I'd check and make sure you're getting adequate leafy greens, broccoli, and healthy oils like canola and olive to rule out the vitamin K and see a doctor. Also, the dry, brittle nails can be a vitamin deficiency too. There are several vitamins that play a role in nail health. Make sure you're eating lots of fresh fruits and veggies and if that isn't the issue, see a doctor.
  • merlyngrey
    Options
    bump
  • QueenStromba
    QueenStromba Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I was going to say vitamin K for the broken blood vessels too.
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input! I was looking it up online as well and noted the Vitamin K inseveral articles. We ussually eat spinach salad with dinner every night and ussually have broccoli around 4 times a week, but always a steamed vegetable at dinner. I also eat an apple a day (they say it keep s the doctor away, but I think I might be the exception this time LOL) I will try and eat more Vitamin K rich foods the next couple of weeks and start on a multivitamin and if it doesn't get better I will consult a doctor, Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. MFP's a great! Hugs!
  • shortjules
    shortjules Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I take vitamins everyday. Pull up my diary and you will see. I use fish oil, a women's one-a-day, vit c, folic acid, ginseng, ginkgo, green tea extract. I personally have seen an increase in the strength and health of both my hair and nails. When you drastically change your habits there's a possibility you are not getting the correct oils and vitamins/antioxidants, etc in your diet. I am a nurse so I did some research in addition to talking to my doctor. For me, these vitamins seem to work pretty well and it helps with my energy level. My advice would be to talk to your doctor and let them know what you have been eating, how you exercise, etc and see what advice they have for you about possible supplements.