Dried Mango

We got a dried fruit basket in the office this year from an attorney. I can honestly say that I have never eaten dried mango. Whenever I get the dried fruit and it has dried papaya in it, I usually end up throwing it away, don't like it. I tried the dried mango and LOVED it. Of course we threw away the papya!! I think my mom would like it too and thought I would try to find some for her for Christmas. Does anyone have a brand or a source they like? We live in a very small town so I am going to have to order it online and would like a tried and true! Thanks
Krista

Replies

• easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    I LOVE dried mango too. But most of the ones I've found at the market are super high in sugar. Probably the best thing to do would be to dehydrate your own.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Agree on the dried mango ... it's truly spectacular (though obviously an occasional thing due to the sugar content). I don't have an online source but I've found I like dried mangos from the Phillipines best. I buy mine from my local Dominick's (Safeway) store.
  • courtclerkkris
    courtclerkkris Posts: 173 Member
    Maybe I should clarify...this is for my mother who has no medical/weight problems. So sugar really isn't an issue for her. Due to living in a small town, our market doesn't get mango and I don't have access to a dehydrator....so two strikes for me. :(
    But maybe I should put a dehydrator on my Christmas list!!! lol
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    A great place to shop for the lowest price on an item is Pricegrabber ... never used them for food before, but they return a lot of options for dried mango:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/dried+mango/products.html/form_keyword=dried+mango
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    @Mrsseabolt: great website. Thanks for the post.
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    Trader Joe's has AWESOME dried mango with no sugar added. Because is it dried it is highly dense in carbs (mostly from its own natural sugar). The hardest thing is stopping after one serving!! Enjoy.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Maybe I should clarify...this is for my mother who has no medical/weight problems. So sugar really isn't an issue for her. Due to living in a small town, our market doesn't get mango and I don't have access to a dehydrator....so two strikes for me. :(
    But maybe I should put a dehydrator on my Christmas list!!! lol

I just bought a small bag of it from Wal Mart and it was very yummy. I've had some dried mango that wasn't very good, but this brand is great. :) It is Nature's Harvest brand.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    I found those at Fresh Market. Nothing beats the real deal, though. Oh, and I love papaya! I can eat a whole big one in one shot!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    I LOVE dried mango too. But most of the ones I've found at the market are super high in sugar. Probably the best thing to do would be to dehydrate your own.

This! It's 10x better than the packaged stuff both health and taste wise! I know you said sugar isn't an issue but the natural flavors of fresh fruit dehydrates is sooo good. One of my best friends always brings dehdrated apples and cherries and it's the best I've every had.

Maybe you can order them online? I live in an extremely small town too and if you've got a walmart they carry mangos? =]
  • @Mrsseabolt: great website. Thanks for the post.

It's so YUMMY!!
  • courtclerkkris
    courtclerkkris Posts: 173 Member
    Mrs Seabolt,
    Thanks for the link/address! I did order some from them! Of course I had to order some for myself. I hope it is as good as what was on the dried fruit tray. I just got the regular dried mango....will venture out further next time and try the Phillipine Mango. Thanks Again. The closest Walmart is 30 miles away, so I will keep my eyes open on my next trip. Now you all know I am really from Podunk USA!!!
  • Agree on the dried mango ... it's truly spectacular (though obviously an occasional thing due to the sugar content). I don't have an online source but I've found I like dried mangos from the Phillipines best. I buy mine from my local Dominick's (Safeway) store.
    I agree with this. The Phillipines brand is the best! Not too dried out and the one I buy has no added sugar (but it is still high in sugar just because the fruit is concentrated.)
  • JPDad
    JPDad Posts: 147
    It's the Sulphur Dioxide that's added to the dried Mangos that I try to avoid. Yet another reason to dry yourself or find some that are sugar free and Sulphur Dioxide free. If you are not worried about that, then the Phillipines brand does taste the best.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,900 Member
    We got a dried fruit basket in the office this year from an attorney. I can honestly say that I have never eaten dried mango. Whenever I get the dried fruit and it has dried papaya in it, I usually end up throwing it away, don't like it. I tried the dried mango and LOVED it. Of course we threw away the papya!! I think my mom would like it too and thought I would try to find some for her for Christmas. Does anyone have a brand or a source they like? We live in a very small town so I am going to have to order it online and would like a tried and true! Thanks
    Krista
    Philppine Dried Mangos at Costco are the best IMO. Yes there's sugar in it, but it's REAL sugar and not HFCS.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    I haven't had the dried but I have found that the frozen mango that Walmart has in the bags of mixed fruit is amazing!! It's peaches, strawberries, mango and pineapple. The peaches are pretty flavorless but I use those in my protein smoothies so I end up using them even without a lot of flavor.

Good luck finding the best dried one!!!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Another vote here for dehydrating your own (you can do it in the oven!)

Also, dig that papaya out of the garbage and give it a try! I absolutely detest the taste of fresh papaya, but I could eat pounds of the dried stuff!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    I love the Dried Mango from Costco. Delicious!!