Strange Lump a Possible NSV?

Options
love22step
love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
I was shaving my legs in the shower last night when I noticed a disturbing lump behind my left knee. I checked behind my right knee, and found an identical lump there! I began to feel a little better at that point. I checked behind my husband's knees, but didn't find lumps. However, I've been working out with weights for 2 1/2 months, and, while he has tight leg muscles, he doesn't work out. He felt the lumps and had me bend my legs. Finally, we determined they're muscles. It must be attributable to all the squats and lunges I've been doing. Anyone else notice strange new lumps behind your knees, toward the outside?

Replies

• casbar911
    casbar911 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yes those are most likely your Hamstrings :) enjoy... they will make your butt look better too :)
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Get to a doctor immediately.
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    So fun! I can picture you and your husband checking it out together! Love it!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    =] that's great. It's funny how as we lose weight we discover we have various characteristics we never knew we had. I just discovered I'm very bony. LOL who would have guessed that!

congratulations on progress from hard work! =]
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    you need to roll those lumps out -- they aren't supposed to stay there forever. they are tight clusters of muscles and can cause pain and strain elsewhere in your body.... I get the same 'lumps' in my butt cheeks - and they pull on my lower back which is annoying. invest in a foam roller (less than $20) from powersystems.com and roll those bad boys out!
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I would second the dr recommendation. Lumps are usually not good things. Do you wear any braces for the knees, or anything similar during squats and such?
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    At this point, I'm not worried. I only feel the lumps when my knees are extended. They don't hurt. I injured my right knee in April (fractured bone and torn tendon), and I still have a little stiffness and swelling, but I wear a sleeve on that knee when I exercise. I've followed the rule of sticking my butt out and keeping my knees over my ankles when I do squats and lunges. If high-impact moves start to bother my knee, I switch to low-impact modifications. So far, I've only had to rest the knee a couple of days since I started working out. I hope to strengthen my knee to the point where I can jog again.
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Just found this, obviously I am not diagnosing, just providing some info from a google search. Seemed like a common topic for "lumps behind knees" search....

What is a Baker's cyst?

A Baker's cyst is a pocket of fluid that forms a lump behind the knee. It is also called a popliteal cyst. See a picture of a Baker's cyst .

What causes a Baker's cyst?

Baker's cysts in children often involve the bursa, a small sac of fluid behind the knee. The bursa may join with the sac that cushions the knee bones (synovial sac) to form a cyst.

Arthritis is the most common cause in adults, but a Baker's cyst also can be caused by a knee injury. The swelling from these problems causes fluid to build up in your knee. The cyst forms when the fluid pushes out in the back of the knee.

What are the symptoms?

Often a Baker's cyst causes no pain. When symptoms occur, they may include:

Tightness or stiffness behind the knee.
    Swelling behind the knee that may get worse when you stand.
    Slight pain behind the knee and into the upper calf. You are most likely to feel this when you bend your knee or straighten it all the way.
    Sometimes the pocket of fluid behind the knee can tear open and drain into the tissues of the lower leg. This can cause swelling and redness in that part of the leg.

How is a Baker's cyst diagnosed?

Your doctor will examine your knee and ask you questions about your past health and when the pain and swelling started. Your doctor may order tests, such as an MRI, to see a picture of the inside of your knee.

How is it treated?

A Baker's cyst may go away on its own.

If arthritis or another problem is causing the Baker's cyst, your doctor may treat that problem. This usually makes the pain and swelling of a Baker's cyst go away.

If a cyst does not go away, or if it is causing a lot of pain, your doctor may drain the fluid with a needle. You also may be given a shot of steroid medicine to reduce swelling. You may need to use a cane or crutch and wrap your knee in an elastic bandage. In rare cases, a Baker's cyst is removed by surgery.

There are things you can do at home to help you feel better.

Rest your knee as much as you can.
    Take over-the-counter medicines to reduce pain and swelling. These include ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) and naproxen (Aleve).
    Use a cane, crutch, walker, or another device if you need help to get around. These can help rest your knee.
    If you wear an elastic bandage around your knee, make sure it is snug but not so tight that your leg is numb, tingles, or swells below the bandage. Loosen the bandage if it is too tight.
    Follow your doctor's instructions about how much weight you can put on your knee.
    Stay at a healthy weight. Being overweight puts extra strain on your knee.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!