Question on McD's salads

Options
Today for lunch I had a Bacon Ranch Chicken salad from McD's, even though the salad from McD's was made with grilled chicken (not crispy) totaled out at 430 calories and 21g of carbs I still feel gross after eating it... :/ Anyone else have an issue with salads from McD's? Is it not as good as I thought it might be? I've been eating spinach with granny smith apples and clementines with the clementine squeezed for the dressing for a week for lunch so I thought I'd mix it up but I'm thinking that wasn't a great choice. I drank water with it too.

Replies

• KacieHetrick
    KacieHetrick Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    *Normally I don't eat at McD's but the ladies I work with were going for lunch and beggers can't be choosers! LOL Next time I won't forget my bag of spinach!
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I always eat the southwest salad from there. Its OK. There is not alot of choices out there.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I feel like places like this inject the food with calories. I can't even imagine how they manage to get some of those stats so high!
  • amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    The worst part of that salad is going to be the dressing. When you think of McD's nothing about that screams healthy so I understand you still feeling icky after eating it. Salads are a great choice, adding chicken is great so you get your protein, just have to watch the dressing. I always get mine on the side when I get a salad out somewhere. It's amazing how much dressing you DON'T use.
  • ArnonsaeJ
    ArnonsaeJ Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    With a salad its all about the toppings, try switching out the dressing for something lower in calories, or not eating the croutons (idk if they're on it or not).
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    It is probably the sodium (1230 mg)..... Salads are great, but that is where they get you. Especially fast food. :( Hope you feel better.
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I have never had a good experience with fast food salads. I often get sick after eating them and theorize it has something to do with people not washing their hands -=shudder=-.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    it's just the dressing. like most salads are maybe 200calories but with extras like dressing and croutons, or nuts, or any of those high calories or fatty additivies, it adds up. I don't eat their salads just because they tastes gross, but the stats aren't bad. a banana has more carbs than that, lol I love chik fil a salads though
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    only if you are eating a low carb lifestyle...I get the side salad which has hardly any cals and I get creamy ceasar dressing which is also low in carbs..
    then I get either a double cheeseburger with no bread and no ketsup and break it up on the salad...or i get the quarter pounder with no bread and no cheese and no ketsup,....

its very low carb meal..

if you are just looking at cals...then my suggestion will probably not work..

good luck

Bill
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of the southwest salad with grilled chicken. It has 290 calories, but you can rack up another 100 with the dressing. I like it, it has protein, and it's spicy. When I'm in a hurry or too lazy to make something, it's something I turn to.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Wowzers!! The grilled chicken and bacon salad with the low-fat caesar dressing from McDonalds here in the UK at it comes out as:

205 kcal
    24g protein
    11g carbs
    6g fat

I've not had it with bacon, only grilled chicken but it was pretty good.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    Well, not being mean, but bacon ranch-you should have steered clear of that choice all together-haha. Sorry-I guess we all learn from our mistakes. I crave burgers a lot and every time I give in to it I get sick-not fun.
  • thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I don't eat their salads any more but not because I think they're icky. Just way too many calories for a meal for my liking. I'd rather get something really yummy if I'm going to eat higher calories. :)

When I go I usually get the Maple Oatmeal with fruit. It's 290 calories and oh so yummy. It's served all day long here in So Cal, but not sure about any where else.
  • smangani
    smangani Posts: 120
    Options
    I havn't had that one. I usually get Grilled Chicken Cesar Salad. Yummm. My favorite!

I agree though - calculate without the dressing first. It's amazing how much dressing you don't use. I personally don't like very much. I squeeze a very small amount and mix it up. Works great!
  • ddecarr
    ddecarr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    The Southwest salad with Southwest dressing and grilled chicken actually has decent nutrition values, even the sodium isn't that bad considering this is a once in a while meal. And the salad tastes good too.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Bacon and Ranch are key words. Overall, this choice was better than most for McD's. I found having a McDouble with NO/cheese and a side salad with the Low-fat Italian is very guiltless.
  • fitaliciag
    Options
    I agree. I only get the Southwest salad and put one pack of dressing.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Bacon+Ranch=Calories. I do love me some bacon and ranch though! LOL!
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    You would have been better off getting the grilled chicken sandwich and a side salad, or even a kids nugget meal with apples. It's amazing how much a salad can be "ruined".
  • kittzle
    kittzle Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    How do you get 430 calories from it? Is that including a full package of the dressing? The website has it marked as 230 calories, with 10 grams of carbs. I get this one often and add spinach to it when I get back to my office. With half the dressing package it's 315 calories + however much spinach I use.