Girl in the Supermarket

Options
I went shopping at my local supermarket for my husband's lunch today, and whilst at the checkout, I glanced across and saw this large girl opposite me, she only had 4 things in her trolley:
2 boxes of 10 doughnuts, 1 large bar of chocolate and a french stick. :sick:

Then it hit me, that was me a year ago, I would go into the same supermarket and only buy these things :blushing:
Now, I buy salad, fruit, veg, fish and chicken - very rarely do I buy chocolate, even when I do, I don't eat a lot - it makes me feel sick, and doughnuts, well I'd rather scrub the entire house and burn loads of calories than eat just one doughnut, put on weight and feel cruddy for even touching it. :noway:

Just really bought home to me just how much damage I was doing to myself back then, I only hope that girl is as lucky as me, and finds a great support group like this for herself before her health takes its toll - if it hasn't already.

I thank my lucky stars for the wake up call I had last year, and for the eye opener I had this morning, and I am so thrilled to be part of such a great support network :drinker:

THANKS GUYS :flowerforyou: :drinker:

Replies

• Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I went shopping at my local supermarket for my husband's lunch today, and whilst at the checkout, I glanced across and saw this large girl opposite me, she only had 4 things in her trolley:
    2 boxes of 10 doughnuts, 1 large bar of chocolate and a french stick. :sick:

Then it hit me, that was me a year ago, I would go into the same supermarket and only buy these things :blushing:
    Now, I buy salad, fruit, veg, fish and chicken - very rarely do I buy chocolate, even when I do, I don't eat a lot - it makes me feel sick, and doughnuts, well I'd rather scrub the entire house and burn loads of calories than eat just one doughnut, put on weight and feel cruddy for even touching it. :noway:

Just really bought home to me just how much damage I was doing to myself back then, I only hope that girl is as lucky as me, and finds a great support group like this for herself before her health takes its toll - if it hasn't already.

I thank my lucky stars for the wake up call I had last year, and for the eye opener I had this morning, and I am so thrilled to be part of such a great support network :drinker:

THANKS GUYS :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    wait, i think that was me... do you live in nanaimo?

j/k but seriously...i used to rotate the check out girls i would go to so they wouldn't notice me coming in daily and buying total crap. luckly i have less of an issue now..
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I see "myself" a lot, too, and am so glad I made the changes when I did. <sigh> But I will always be a Big Gal. I remember exactly how it felt - the stares and comments. And I know I will have to watch what I eat and exercise for the rest of my life.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    It's funny how you change isn't it. My husband and I used to go to Tim Horton's every Friday for coffee, bagels and donuts. Friday was also our order in day at work and then we would usually go out for dinner or order pizza.

Needless to say the calories on those days would have been huge ( thus explaining why I am!)

Now we drive past the Tim's and comment on the line up for fat and sugar. We take our lunches every day and very rarely eat out. What a change!

I do look at the people still eating that way and want to show them the light
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Funny I noticed the other day when I ran in for a quick trip for a few snacks I came out with carrots, apples, bananas, 100 calorie rice krispy treats, egg beaters, honey wheat bread - totally different from 6 mo ago - it would have been chips, mini donuts, etc...

Way to go Jackie - it feels great to know we're being smart doesn't it!!
  • TudorRose
    TudorRose Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I work in a supermarket at the weekends and it's incredible what some people buy. There's this one family who'll buy so much junk and not a scrap of fruit or veg. And they always buy indegestion tablets too. :huh: It makes you think, really