Crossfit--worth it or too extreme?

Options

Replies

• MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of the CrossFit "preachers" OR the "bashers." THEY are the ones being extreme, here. (and, I think a lot of people "bash" it without even trying it!)

Any exercise can be taken to the extreme. Running - ultramarathons. Weightlifting - powerlifting. You get the drift.

I'm not here to argue one way or the other, but I have found a great love with CrossFit. When you find a box with GOOD coaches (hopefully all gyms have good coaches, but unfortunately I think there are some out there who don't always know what they're doing), you're in a monitored environment where they can help you with the movements and with the weights you're using.

Personally I think people seem "cultish" about it because they just get so excited about what they've discovered. And unfortunately sometimes they get a little overexcited - I mean, there are extreme religious groups, but those groups don't necessarily represent the entirety of the religion (think, extreme Christian groups bashing Muslims - certainly not all Christians are like that, but they give everyone else a bad rap for their actions.)

Also, as far as the prices go, yes it's expensive, but it's no more than you'd pay at another specialty (yoga, pilates, martial arts) gym, or personal training.

If you think it's too extreme for you, then don't do it :) I thought it was, until I gave it a try. It's certainly not for everyone, and that's OKAY. But there are a lot of people out there who are finding it works for them. :)
  • JazzBar9363
    Options
    A crossfit class just had an open house last night, and I went to check it out. I was only there for an hour, and couldn't do some of the "beginner" sections because of a knee injury and I'm just so out of shape! But I did manage to work up quite a sweat and felt good afterwards. There was only one trainer because the other one was doing a presentation elsewhere. She helped me figure out the best way to avoid further injury, and modify the workouts. She was very nice, and accomodating. Never once did she push the Paleo diet on me. Here, the classes are only $89/month. I had fun. I went with my sister who is in much better shape than I am, and she got a good workout too. I don't think I'll be going back though. I just wanted to see what the workouts were like.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Crossfit is not nearly the "original" concept they want people to believe it is.

The Glassman guy that started it basically took exercise moves that have been around for ages, made them into extreme workouts, and tried to market it as something unique when it clearly is not.

It made me angry when I picked up the new issue of my running magazine and saw exercises labeled as "Crossfit moves" that had been around before the Glassman guy was even born! You can bet I emailed both the editor and the author of that article and asked that they do better research next time.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options

Having a sense of community where you do your workout is nice, but I would never join a Crossfit gym just to have that, because I can get a sense of community from my running group and other places.

So than go to your local YMCA or running group and stop bashing crossfit every second of the day. You seriously need a hobby, I enjoy reading the crossfit topics and one day do plan on joining my local box and I would like to get as much information on it as possible from people who do it everyday as they have the best knowledge of what to look for in a good gym, the work out etc. not a bunch of link that are usually always the same.

As for eating Paleo, they still get carbs, as far as I am aware a paleo diet does have vegetables and fruits in it both of which have carbs, they eat no grains.
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Love me some Crossfit. It's changed my life. But to each their own. /shrug/
  • ceebs9
    Options
    While I know there are some extreme people that enjoy programs like Crossfit, I really hate to see it advertised as being for people of all fitness levels, because most Crossfit facilities do focus on the extreme, and while they are happy to take your money and let you in the door to do the beginner classes, unless you are into extreme exercise, you will probably never feel like you fit in with the group.

Having a sense of community where you do your workout is nice, but I would never join a Crossfit gym just to have that, because I can get a sense of community from my running group and other places.

I would much rather see a lot of the money that people pay to Crossfit go to the YMCAs, because the YMCA is a non profit organization, and they do a lot to help the communities.

This really just isn't true. We have people of ALL different fitness levels at my CF affiliate. New moms, a very heavy guy who has fairly severe foot deformities, a 75 yr old man, a few teens and some really elite athletes. None of them work out exactly the same. They modify the weight, the intensity, the exercises, etc. I can't imagine a CF box that doesn't do the same.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    While I know there are some extreme people that enjoy programs like Crossfit, I really hate to see it advertised as being for people of all fitness levels, because most Crossfit facilities do focus on the extreme, and while they are happy to take your money and let you in the door to do the beginner classes, unless you are into extreme exercise, you will probably never feel like you fit in with the group.

I would much rather see a lot of the money that people pay to Crossfit go to the YMCAs, because the YMCA is a non profit organization, and they do a lot to help the communities.

This really just isn't true. We have people of ALL different fitness levels at my CF affiliate. New moms, a very heavy guy who has fairly severe foot deformities, a 75 yr old man, a few teens and some really elite athletes. None of them work out exactly the same. They modify the weight, the intensity, the exercises, etc. I can't imagine a CF box that doesn't do the same.

I am not arguing that's what happens at YOUR Crossfit. But there are many other Crossfit gyms where that is not the case, where people are being pressured to exercise harder than they should, where elite Crossfitters look down on those who cannot keep up, etc. And a lot of the Crossfit gyms ARE pushing the Paleo Diet on people with a "30 Day Paleo Challenge" and members that chose not to take the challenge are looked down upon but those that are doing it.

I'm sorry you can't imagine all this, but believe me, it's a very common occurrence.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I am not arguing that's what happens at YOUR Crossfit. But there are many other Crossfit gyms where that is not the case, where people are being pressured to exercise harder than they should, where elite Crossfitters look down on those who cannot keep up, etc. And a lot of the Crossfit gyms ARE pushing the Paleo Diet on people with a "30 Day Paleo Challenge" and members that chose not to take the challenge are looked down upon but those that are doing it.

I'm sorry you can't imagine all this, but believe me, it's a very common occurrence.

And you know this by reading the internet right??? There are tons of challenges in every gym - I belonged to one that ran a biggest loser competion every 6 months with money prizes at the end for the person who lost the most weight. It may have just been a motivational tool but it could turn pretty bad if someone wanted to win the money bad enough.
    As for the gyms that are pushing you harder than you can go, that is on the person. YOU need to know your own body, if you are uncomfortable leave and find a new box/gym etc. NO ONE is making you stay in one place. A little common sense and some research about the gym BEFORE joining is always a good idea.
  • ceebs9
    Options

How many CF boxes have you been to? Just curious.
  • ecmcnamee
    ecmcnamee Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I don't think the RachelSNO person needs to go to a Crossfit box ... he/she is burning enough calories getting worked up about it. What did Crossfit ever do to you? If you don't like it, don't do it and stop hating on it so much. Sheesh!
  • DavidPeugh
    Options
    Couple of things to note
    1. You don't have to join a Crossfit gym (box) to perform the WODs (workout of the day).
    2. If you are not an experienced lifter, then please, ask a personal trainer to help you learn the lifts. You can injure yourself when performing Olympic lifts without proper training regardless of set/rep count.
    3. Visit the BrandX forums for WOD modifications to fit your current fitness level http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums
    4. If you are working out from home, look at this page from the Crossfit for substitutions for gym equipment you don't own. http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#Substitutions0
    5. Try it for a month, if its not your cup of tea no worries there are other ways to exercise.
  • MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    Crossfit is not for everyone. My son did it in order to get into the Navy. He dropped 70+ pounds and is so strong.
    I think it is a personal preference. I would never do it, but he loves it.

ericu.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I told him as a woman my age I should be getting 55-65 grams of protein a day (according to most websites, doctors, and MFP), and i can easily attain that goal without animal products, he said flat up " that is no where NEAR good enough"

FWIW that seems really low to me, too.
    Me too.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I've not done Crossfit, but have looked into it. What I've found on numerous sites is that it can be very "cultish". It is very extreme and seems to throw people of all fitness levels into the same group. The fatigue factor kicks in during the workouts and a lot of times people are performing exercises, that are too advanced for them already, incorrectly. Too much potential for injury.

These are just things I've read from people who have attended these classes in different areas.

Not all Crossfit gyms are ran like that either. I went to the "testing" session so they can recommend where to put you in my gym. I am at the very basic, beginner level when I start in 2 weeks.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    My friend was obese all of his life, one day he got into cross-fit and within a year he lost ALL of his weight, his fat, his spare tires around his waist, and he is doing very well for himself. I do not agree with his eating habits, but it works for him and he can do it so whatever works for you. He is now a cross-fit trainer and has kept the weight off since he lost it.

Before I knew what cross-fit was I asked him to help me lose some weight, and I am on a -eat meat rarely, avoid cheese, and milk is a serious no-no - diet, first thing he did was attack my diet. I told him as a woman my age I should be getting 55-65 grams of protein a day (according to most websites, doctors, and MFP), and i can easily attain that goal without animal products, he said flat up " that is no where NEAR good enough" He said that our problem in america is the carbs that we eat, our body turning it into insulin and then us becoming resistant then making us diabetic. My thing is, most Vegans LOVE carbs and eat them as much as they want to. Most vegans are on average, very fit and very healthy, and live 10 years longer than the average American. If 'carbs' do this, why do vegans on average live a whole decade longer than meat eaters?

Needless to say, we don't talk about diet or fitness around each other :)

Do research, try it out yourself, see what works for you :)

Your friend is correct though. And I am seeing more and more "Vegans" switching over to the Paleo lifestyle, I know at least 20 in my Facebook group that has switched.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    When it comes to Cross Fit, their work outs can be very effective, but you do run into some serious flaws.

1. Over working/using certain muscle groups. I've seen many times OH squats one day, and then OHP the next, double shoulder days is asking for injury.

2. Trainers are taught that its ok to break form in order to complete rep. Asking for injury.

3. High rep olympic lifts, not a good idea.

4. you never get good at anything. Sure your can run a marathon but you can't win it. Sure you are strong but you can't win a power-lifting competition, Sure you look good but you can't win a body building competition.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I was interested in it because I had other MFP pals with good results, but when I started looking at CrossFit gyms in my area, the price was enough to scare me away!

I'll take my $20/month, 24 hour, membership that gives me access to three gyms around town, over a $150/month, single location, only open until 7 p.m. CrossFit gym any day!
  • slbeutler
    slbeutler Posts: 205
    Options
    I LOVE crossfit. I have done it at my heaviest weight, with a foot injury (not from crossfit) and always felt encouraged and was able to do all the workouts. I am not saying that I wasn't pushed out of my comfort zone on most days, but that is how you get results and change.

If you need a great workout and motivation to push yourself harder than you ever thought you could then crossfit is for you. If you don't like to be pushed beyond your personal comfort zone than it is not for you.

By the way, I am a group fitness instructor and getting certified as a crossfit trainer is one of the hardest certifications out there physically, so I totally trust the trainers. People who are getting injured is probably because their ego is too big and they are not listening to the trainer, their bodies and are trying to keep up with someone who is at a different level than they are.

It is not extreme it uses most of the fundamental lifts and exercises that engage most of your body versus spending 90 minutes a day working one muscle group at a time.
  • espence30
    espence30 Posts: 116 Member
    Options

agreed... has changed my life... and it is for all ages.. my son started doing it when he was 12.. it has changed my way of life in many ways..its something my husband and I do together.. it helps my son with his baseball and helps me with my RA.. I would never go back to a normal gym or workout... FYI RACHELSNO needs a life. seriously sat down to email an editor.. brush it off.. so negative..
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Do a barbell programme, do some cardio once in awhile