Weight Training Calories

Options
Why doesn't the tracker count in calories burnt while weight training? I know it's not a TON, but it's some, and I feel like I'm burning all day (maybe it's just the pain :wink:). Cardio is great - and I do a ton of it (more each week!), but I feel like MFP doesn't think weight training is good enough :sad:

Replies

• kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Why doesn't the tracker count in calories burnt while weight training? I know it's not a TON, but it's some, and I feel like I'm burning all day (maybe it's just the pain :wink:). Cardio is great - and I do a ton of it (more each week!), but I feel like MFP doesn't think weight training is good enough :sad:
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Actually weightlifting burns a lot of calories, and bumps up your metabolism. you just need to add it under the cardio section (add as strength training.) adding it in the strength training section is just to keep track of your exercises!! :flowerforyou:
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Awesome. I feel SO much better now!! Thank you!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I would imagine one main reason it's not specifically tracked is because so many of the calories you burn from weight training come after the actual training is done. See weight training causes the metabolism to go into a heightened state for up to 48 hours (usually not that long, but it CAN be that long), so it's very difficult to estimate unless you wear an hrm for a full day after and know what a regular day (without exercise) should be.