Pack lunch advice?!? HELP PLEASE

Options
I really need some advice and some good ideas about what I can take to work with me in my lunch thats healthy and low cal :) x Please any suggestions would be a great help thanks x

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I usually bring leftovers. When there are none:

hummus or pb with whole grain crackers, veggies sticks or apples
    pbj on whole grain bread
    sandwich wraps w cheese, hummus or canned tuna, greens and chopped veggies.
    cottage cheese and fruit or tomatoes on a bed of greens
    a granola bar and an apple and/or a handful of almonds

I also keep Campbell's Healthy Request soups in my desk for days I forget my lunch bag or am running too late to prepare something.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    String cheese, raw veggies and dip, fruit (I like frozen grapes), canned tuna and crackers, yogurt, soup (yes I eat soup as a snack), etc. :)
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Tuna
    Boiled eggs
    low fat string cheese
    Greek yogurt
    Salad
    Fruit
    Cut up veggies
    Any lean meat on wheat bread, in a wrap, or a pita
    Soup
    Rice and veggies
    Chicken salad w/ celery and dried cranberries
    Hope that helps :)
  • krstngrrtt
    krstngrrtt Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I pack every day and it gets challenging...
    I found some wraps that are only 71 calories each and very low carb but full of fiber. I wrap just about anything in them and they are great... hummus, cucumber, lean lunch meats, chicken salad, tuna salad, chicken strips with beans and corn..etc. Leftovers are good too..if you made a healthy dinner then you know it's a good lunch.
    I also keep a couple cans of soup in my desk for days when I need them.
    Once in a while I'll give in to a lean cuisine or smart one but you have to watch those cause they are so high in sodium.
    Nuts, low fat popcorn, veggies, fruits...things like this I try to keep on hand for when I'm feeling munchy.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Remember to put the heavier stuff toward the bottom, and the stuff that could get squished on top.
  • Shawn_Marie
    Options
    I really need some advice and some good ideas about what I can take to work with me in my lunch thats healthy and low cal :) x Please any suggestions would be a great help thanks x

Sandwich thin with deli turkey breast
    Oatmeal with fresh fruit and nuts
    Salad (I put my salad in a zipper bag then add dressing at lunch, gets a good mix and can eat it out of the bag if needed)
    Do you have access to a toaster?
    Eggo blueberry waffles with almond butter with a yogurt and piece of fruit.

I have a frig in my office so I keep things like dressing, carrots and some fruit in it.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I get individual containers of soup at Trader Joes that are awesome and low calorie. The tomato bisque is just 210 calories, and delicious! I also splurge on a workout day on the Trader Joes lobster bisque, it is about 380 calories. Yum! I also do Weight Watchers rye bread with turkey and I spread a Lite Laughing Cow cheese wedge on the bread, and plump the sandwich up with lots of veggies like cucumber slices, red pepper slices, pickles, banana peppers, red onion.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Progresso Light Soup and microwave popcorn, spaghetti squash with salsa is very low in calories and you can eat a ton
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I cannot be trusted to pack a lunch. They are too soggy if packed the night before and I am way too grumpy to pack one in the morning.

So, every week I go to the grocery store near my office (30 min walk - cardio FTW) and buy Steamfresh bags of veg, some fruit, protein, peanut butter, almond milk, Mrs Dash seasoning, maybe an avocado and some Wasa crisps. I have a shelf in the fridge and I "cook" my lunch every day. It's so much cheaper and easier and I don't have to smoosh my lunch in my garbage dump of a tote bag!
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I usually make enough of something for a dinner so I can freeze a few portions for lunches. This week it's vegan tex mex lasagne. A few weeks ago it was vegan shepherd's pie. I make my own pasta sauce so there's usually some of it in the fridge or freezer, I add it to pasta and roasted or steamed veggies (mushrooms, broccoli, red peppers, onions etc). Hummus on a pita with veggies (cucumber & tomato). Black beans & rice with veggies. In a pinch I have veggie burgers in the freezer, bring along some additions (lettuce, tomato, banana pepper rings). Baked sweet or regular potatoes with veggies or salsa (I make vegan sour cream - yum). Obviously I don't normally eat meat/dairy/eggs but you can sub the regular stuff where I've veganized it.
    When I did eat meat on a regular basis I bought chicken breasts and grilled a few extras at the beginning of each week , made sandwiches or wraps with them or added them to pasta & sauce.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I tend to go for super quick stuff I can just grab so most days my lunch looks like:

Peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread
    ff/sf yogurt
    apple
    baby carrots

When I have a little more time I like a spin on tuna salad:

half a can of tuna, mixed with half a can of corn and half a can of green beans, sprinkled with balsamic vinegar...then I pack some lettuce separately and combine just before I eat.

If I am baking potatoes for dinner, I will bake an extra and top it with plain yogurt or salsa or laughing cow cheese.

I change up my grabbable veggies too: miniature bell peppers, radishes, celery and jicama sticks, etc.

When I want a sweet treat, ff cottage cheese with canned pineapple or apricots is lovely too.
  • cecilia0909
    cecilia0909 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I make turkey and cheese roll up that I dip in a little of Italian dressing. I seriously just roll up a slice of turkey and half a slice of cheese. I pack apples, carrot sticks, pears, berries, veggies that I can steam quickly, and oatmeal a lot.
  • Jess22542
    Options
    - Low fat yogurt with 1-2 tbsp of granola
    - String cheese
    - Fruit - bananas, apples, grapes, pears are all in season right now
    - Sandwich made with pitas or sandwich thins
    - Pita chips, carrots, and hummus
    - Pita chips with 100 calorie pack of guacamole
    - Granola bars (I like Cascadian Farms organic bars "kid sized" and Kashi)
    - Vita-muffins
    - 100 calorie popcorn bags (if you have a microwave you can use)
    - Peanut butter with either whole wheat crackers or a banana
    - Individual soup cups (also is you have a microwave)
    - Cheese wrapped in your favorite lunch meat
  • Jess22542
    Options
    - Low fat yogurt with 1-2 tbsp of granola
    - String cheese
    - Fruit - bananas, apples, grapes, pears are all in season right now
    - Sandwich made with pitas or sandwich thins
    - Pita chips, carrots, and hummus
    - Pita chips with 100 calorie pack of guacamole
    - Granola bars (I like Cascadian Farms organic bars "kid sized" and Kashi)
    - Vita-muffins
    - 100 calorie popcorn bags (if you have a microwave you can use)
    - Peanut butter with either whole wheat crackers or a banana
    - Individual soup cups (also is you have a microwave)
    - Cheese wrapped in your favorite lunch meat
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have to bring my lunch to work every day. Its usually a spinach salad with a protein. I like to add corn and black bean salsa as dressing. I also bring a hard boiled egg...greek yogurts..a frozen entree if I don't have time to put together my salad. Progresso Light soups, just don't forget a bowl. Edamame as a snack. Of course fruit. Sometimes ill make a sandwich to go with my salad. I uuse whole grain thins or bagel thins, turkey, tomato, laughing cow cheese.
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I cook on the weekends and usually put smaller portions in containers for lunches. I have microwaveable dishes at work so I don't have to heat in plastic.
    I also use low carb wraps to make sandwiches with lean deli meats (but I carry the ingredients seperately and make the wrap at work to keep it from getting soggy. Raw veggies round out these lunches.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I try and pack my lunch the night before while I make dinner. If I don't do that, I try and keep some stuff in the house that I can grab easily and throw in a bag...

Baby Bel cheese and Laughing Cow Wedges - both low calorie and delicious.
    Fruit- apples, oranges, kiwis, grapes, berries, etc. (or make a colorful fruit salad at the beginning of the week and pack in individual containers- this will ensure you get more of a variety of nutrients each day)
    Easy veggies- carrot sticks, grape tomatoes, celery, bell pepper (these can even be chopped up on Sunday night and placed in individual containers to grab through the week)
    Whatever lunchmeat you like- low sodium is best. I take a couple slices of turkey, roll it up with a half a baby bel cheese and a pickle for a low-carb "sandwich"
    Yogurt
    Frozen veggie steamer bags

I personally don't like to keep too many snacks at my desk (otherwise I'll be tempted) but it's definitely a good idea to keep at least one meal at all times. That way you won't be tempted to go out with co-workers when they suggest a local unhealthy eatery.
  • rhce40
    rhce40 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    turkey and swiss on wheat
    low fat string cheese
    granola or pretzels
    carrots/celery/other veggies
    water
  • lkirchherr
    Options
    well i don't know exactly what you like, but here's what i bring
    -leftovers