Help!! Body going crazy!

Options
So I was doing pretty well, and steadily losing weight over the last few months. Now all of a sudden, I'm shooting up again. I'm not eating anything different, or changing my activity, but the last month I've gained about 25 lbs! And I gained the last 10lb in 5 days!! I weigh myself the same time each week on the same scale so I know the numbers are right. And I'm not pregnant. I have been feeling a bit bloated but i don't think that would cause so much wight to appear and stick around. What could this be? Any help, I am starting to panic since about 3 months work has gone down the tubes in three weeks.

Replies

• JennaH
    JennaH Posts: 59
    Options
    So I was doing pretty well, and steadily losing weight over the last few months. Now all of a sudden, I'm shooting up again. I'm not eating anything different, or changing my activity, but the last month I've gained about 25 lbs! And I gained the last 10lb in 5 days!! I weigh myself the same time each week on the same scale so I know the numbers are right. And I'm not pregnant. I have been feeling a bit bloated but i don't think that would cause so much wight to appear and stick around. What could this be? Any help, I am starting to panic since about 3 months work has gone down the tubes in three weeks.
  • csantos1182
    Options
    you should contact your doctor with such a rapid increase but no change in diet or activity. could be a thyroid problem, definately something you want to have checked.
  • plussizemommy
    Options
    hmm that sounds really strange...10 lbs in 5 days!! unlesss you were going majorly over your calories which you said you were not, i don't see how that would be possible!? what about your monthly cycle? are you possibly retaining water? i'm in no shape to be giving anyone tips, so i'll just wish you good luck!!
    oh, are you drinking your water? are you using the potty okay?
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I agree....you need to call your doctor and have your thyroid checked.

I can tell you that a gain and loss of 10 pounds in 5 days has happened to me and it drove me crazy too because my thyroid work came back clean - and everyone thought I was full of it when I tried to convince them I was telling the truth.

It turned out to be simple water weight. Once I adjusted my diet to include more water, less salt, more weight bearing exercises, and eating my exercise calories this leveled off. Quickly.

Please see a doctor first.....if the weight does not come off or fluctuate (gain and loss), then there is something more sinister going on.

Can you tell us how it went?
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Yes, you need to be seen by your physician ASAP!!!

It sounds like Diabetes or Thyroid...............

When I was diagnosed with diabetes, I gained 130 pounds in less than 3 months.................My family Dr told me to do this 1000 calorie diet and exercise...............I gained more and more and faster and faster................

Please, please please go to the Dr.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I agree! See a doctor ASAP. When my thyroid quit working I gained 15 lbs in 3 weeks. The last 5 lbs in about 4 days. If you want a list of symptoms for hypothyroid check out WebMD - I was amazed that I had every single one when I looked at the list, but didn't realize that they were "symptoms" or even related.
  • JennaH
    JennaH Posts: 59
    Options
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the concern. I was flipping out a little. Sorry for the slow reply. It's kind of difficult (and expensive!!) for me to go to the doc here, but I did have all my bloodwork done about a year ago and it was fine then (I didn't know that thyroid problems were something people could just get, I thought it was a condition your born with). SO I've been really making sure to drink plenty of water, and I am feeling much less heavy. THe pounds are coming down too, but not as fast as I put them on. It's hot season where I live and they always use lots of salt in the food, so I am sure it's just water retention. Thanks so much for believing me! You're right; most of my friends thought I was making it up.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    That's a big gain in a very short amount of time - sounds like you are due for another checkup...